Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Professional Poster irvin66's Avatar

Unhappy Je suis Bruxelles.

Once again occurs horrific tragic terrorist attacks. Why are people so mean to each other?

Mes pensées vont à ceux qui ont perdu leur vie et ont été blessés par ces gens cruels....

Nous devons défendre l'égalité liberté et la fraternité........

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Harry hol schon mal den Wagen...

Verified account Silver Poster Ben in LA's Avatar

Default Re: Je suis Bruxelles.

Yet no one stated they'd stand with Ankara, Istanbul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben in LA View Post
    Yet no one stated they'd stand with Ankara, Istanbul.
    Actually there have been many more terrorist killings since the Paris attack, as shown here: http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-03-2...gone-unnoticed

They often go unnoticed because, well...the simplistic point of view would be - they simply aren't popular as Facebook tags.
    But I think the reality is that a lot of those countries have a history of civil unrest within their own populace - be it ethnic, tribal or religious. Turkey, for example, has had strife with Kurdish militants and now ISIS also (Stavros is usually good for an excellent history lesson on areas such as this)...
    You're not entirely correct though in stating no one stands with the victims of some of these attacks...people such as my sister (she and her husband are devout Christians) and my uncle quite often post in unity, on Facebook, against these attacks.
    But there also comes a time when these postings are just meaningless ,ubiquitous words.
    The original Paris 'Je suis Charlie' meant more than that. People in western society took that as an attack upon Freedom of Speech...because once that is stifled... terror has become completely successful.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Coverage of terrorist attacks is like coverage of shootings in the U.S. Which one catches the media’s eye depends not only on the who, where, what, when and how of the event but also on 1) whatever else is getting people’s attention during that news cycle and 2) the history of such events in the region. A shooting in the USA is de rigueur, as is a suicide bombing in Israel, the defacement of a cultural artifact in Iraq or, sadly, an attack by an ISIS operative almost anywhere in the West.

My heart goes out to the victims in Brussels and their families; but I admit, my mind almost immediately skipped over the horror of the unfolding tragedy to its likely consequences. They aren’t good for Syrians seeking asylum, but they’re fucking fantastic for hawks and haters everywhere. I turned off the news and distracted myself with work.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

No need for a history lesson, no need to get lost in moral relativism, or to kill again, and again and again -because all lives matter.

"All I have is a voice
    to undo the folded lie..."

all lives matter
    but, perhaps it's a matter of size -
    ...victims too small to matter...and perpetrators too small to understand why they should.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

It should be the case that all lives matter; i.e. every life matters to every person. But it's not even the case that for every life there exists someone for whom that life matters. Which lives matter to which persons is an issue entangled in religion, tribalism, politics, ideology, geography, business, cost and which lives can be sacrificed for what sorts of profit.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

I see two major political outcomes impacted by the Brussels attacks:
    1) The leave vote becomes the likely winner in The June BREXIT referendum
    2) Donald Trump is all but assured his party's nomination for US president
    What baffles me is why Isis would think either one of these developments benefit Muslims. Maybe my mistake would be attaching a rational motive to soulless murderers. They fashion their bombs with bags of nails to assure maximum death and agony for their victims. It would be akin to asking Himmler how his nation benefited by waging genocide against civilians.

Senior Member Professional Poster irvin66's Avatar

Biz de Türkiye'ye destek, masum insanlar da ölüyor, ve başka yerlerde vardır....
    We support Turkey, innocent people are dying there, and other places ....

Harry hol schon mal den Wagen...

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    I see two major political outcomes impacted by the Brussels attacks:
    1) The leave vote becomes the likely winner in The June BREXIT referendum
    2) Donald Trump is all but assured his party's nomination for US president ...
    I pretty much agree on both of these.

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    What baffles me is why Isis would think either one of these developments benefit Muslims. Maybe my mistake would be attaching a rational motive to soulless murderers. They fashion their bombs with bags of nails to assure maximum death and agony for their victims. It would be akin to asking Himmler how his nation benefited by waging genocide against civilians.
    My uniformed take would be that ISIS doesn’t care all that much about Muslims. My guess is that most Muslims are regarded by ISIS as apostate, insufficiently devout and too westernized to matter all that much. The cause of the Caliphate is (I think) first and foremost a political cause, distinguishable from Islam as a personal faith and certainly distinguishable from the liberty, happiness and safety of Muslims in Europe.