Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sugar tax?

Default Re: sugar tax?

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    They can't squeeze anymore out of the smokers, they're quitting in droves.
    So it's time to tax the kids, chubbies and stoners!
    Right on .

And as already mentioned above shift the tax burden onto the little folks and away from the rich .

Senior Member Silver Poster

Listen, if you spend one dollar on a can of coke, more than 5 cents sales tax goes to the IRS. that dollar is split up, goes through the hands of bottlers, sugar companies, truckers, clerks, advertisers, expenses, etc.... and every time one of those guys gets paid the govt gets another cut from the same dollar. You end up paying a lot more tax than income, sales, and property tax.
    On the other hand, my mom has received 2 million dollars retirement. Is this a great country, or what?

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    World Class Asshole

Senior Member Platinum Poster

The sugar tax on soft drinks may be the opening shot in a new 'war' on obesity, but it looks like a cheap gimmick from where I am shopping -pre-cooked meals (and yes, that includes the Jamie Oliver brand) are loaded with enough sugar to knock out a baboon. Who amongst you, when cooking Spaghetti Bolognese at home shoves teaspoonfuls of sugar in with the tomato sauce? In the UK as far as I know there is only one breakfast cereal that does not have sugar added, it is called Weetabix, whereas most other cereals are loaded with indeed in some cases coated in sugar. So if the government wants to be taken seriously, it needs a Sugar Tax part 2, Part 3 and 4 -or it could just rely on individuals and families changing the way and what it is that they eat. I think that is also called freedom.

Some of my favorites lol, ...
    Name:  cereal untitled.png
Views: 109
Size:  85.9 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	cereal images.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	923758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cereal  untitled.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	923759

Rookie Poster

Instead of taxing sugar a better solution would be stop subsidising farmers to grow corn which is then used for corn syrup in soda and boxed foods.We are essentially paying people to poision the citizenry. If the GOVT was really serious about getting America healthy again they would follow the example in other Western countries and outlaw ad's for sugar drinks and foods that are marketed to little kids ie ban adverts on kids programs. That's when they get people hooked.

Member Rookie Poster

Sugar is as much of a poison as high fructose corn syrup - no way we should be consuming so much sugar or carbohydrates for that matter.
    I suspect the cost of treating all the type-2 diabetics had to do with the decision to tax it.

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    Listen, if you spend one dollar on a can of coke, more than 5 cents sales tax goes to the IRS.
    ....actually, I'm not so sure about that....in California the rate is 7 1/2 %.....the money goes to the California Board of Equalization. IRS is Federal....that tax is on income, not sales.

...that dollar is split up, goes through the hands of bottlers, sugar companies, truckers, clerks, advertisers, expenses, etc.... and every time one of those guys gets paid the govt gets another cut from the same dollar. ....
    ....true...a great many people are involved in the manufacture, distribution, marketing and sales of the product....each will earn wages which will be subject to income tax, not sales tax, which they pay, not me.

You end up paying a lot more tax than income, sales, and property tax.
    ...not sure how you figure that....I end up paying 7.5%, or whatever the going rate is for your state or municipality.....doesn't matter how many people are involved behind the scenes.
    Actually, the can of coke ( or in my case Schweppes Ginger Ale....can't stomach any of the colas) example is specious anyway....I pay a recycling fee on the aluminum can, but if my understanding of it is correct, for California anyway, only tangible goods are subject to sales tax....furniture, cars, TVs, appliances, etc. Prescription drugs and food are not taxed.

the Meek shall inherit the Earth....the Rest of Us will go to the Stars

Senior Member Silver Poster

Sorry for the flawed presentation, I think my point is that Americans pay ALOT more tax than they mail in to federal, state, and local tax collection agencies.
    The Republicans say we can cut taxes by getting the economy moving again and exchanging dollars. This way the Govt can tax the same dollar over and over again.
    I think there is a game going between the First Black President and Big Business.
    I'm guessing this English Sugar Tax is more of a message than a tax.

World Class Asshole

The Republicans say we can cut taxes by getting the economy moving again and exchanging dollars.
    ...yeah, they've been singing that Voodoo economics tune for the last 36 years. Back in the Reagan years it was called Trickle Down....cut taxes for the rich and all our problems will be over and everyone will be on easy street. Problem is we're still waiting to see that happen. The rising tide will lift all boats they said. Well, it's been lifting all the yachts just fine, the only thing is they've got the rest of us in the row boats still tied up to the dock and we're fucken drowning.

I think there is a game going between the First Black President and Big Business.
    ...of course it is....how blind of me not to see that the whole scheme of taxing high sugar content sodas as a way to combat diabetes and rampant obesity in the UK is all Obama's fault

the Meek shall inherit the Earth....the Rest of Us will go to the Stars