Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Apple and National Security

Stavros:
    Your prediction about Apple collapsing because of their proprietary tech, has been recited, practically word for word, for the last 15 years that I know of. Maybe 20.

If the FBI wants to get into "terrorist's" phones, perhaps they should make an effort to sell the bad guys on Samsung or whatever. I like having this hard core encryption protecting me from all the bullshit that seems to plague everything else. I've had bank accounts, on line email accounts, windows computers, non-Apple phones, & other IDs hacked &/or vandalized. Nothing at all to or through my Apple macbook-air,or my Iphone. With apple-pay, the merchant never sees my bank info. In a second or 2, the encrypted transaction goes to Apple, then Wells Fargo, & back to the merchant. All Walmart/Kroger/etc... sees is the approval. I'm sold.

BTW; Havn't various law enforcement entities, at different levels from city/county to state & federal, been trying to force Apple into this for some time now, & been shot down by the courts every time? That's the rumor. Butteye see now that it's all different because it's "terrorism" & Muslims ("Islamists") to boot. When the "T word" gets invoked, it's a whole new set of rules. Right? I don't know. We'll see what the Supremes have to say without Scalia. Wonder what he would say about this mess. Strict constructionism v the unenumerated right to privacy. This could get to be entertaining.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried View Post
    Stavros:
    Your prediction about Apple collapsing because of their proprietary tech, has been recited, practically word for word, for the last 15 years that I know of. Maybe 20.
    A fair point. On the other hand, it might yet happen...maybe President Trump will help the little guys and send an anti-trust bill to Congress to break up those giant corporations like Microsoft, Goldman Sachs, IBM, Apple -and the Trump Organization...

Been there done that. Microsoft skated out of it by bailing out apple. That way, they were able to point and say "see we have competition

BTW: I gotta wonder, now that the suit is moot, how the feds managed to skirt the encryption. Do they have a back door that'll open iphones across the board? New system update this morning. Speculation is that what they did won't work on newer phones, butteye don't know who's fueling that speculation. Haven't seen a statement by Apple yet.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Scuttlebutt is the phone was broken by Cellebrite which is an Israeli security firm made up of retired Israeli cyber-intelligence professionals homologous of ex-NSA types (not McAfee ). My guess is that all phones are compromised. So if you're going to put top secret private shit on a phone use real encryption. Public key codes and other methods are still unbreakable.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/mee...es-for-the-fbi

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Cellebrite proclaim their abilities:
    "Cellebrite's Advanced Investigative Services (CAIS) offers global law enforcement agencies a breakthrough service to unlock Apple devices running iOS 8.x.
    This unique capability is the first of its kind – unlock of Apple devices running iOS 8.x in a forensically sound manner and without any hardware intervention or risk of device wipe."
    http://www.cellebrite.com/Pages/cell...running-ios-8x

The question is, was there anything of value to the FBI on the iPhone, which was the phone issued to Farook by his employers? In the vehicle ambushed as he made his getaway there were two personal phones destroyed beyond recovery, maybe they were the ones with any evidence of third party collusion in the murders.

Either way, access to our personal data is one of the key issues in liberty and the law, as the 'Snooper's charter' as the Draft 'Communications Bill' makes its way through the House of Commons...