Page 49 of 61 FirstFirst ... 39444546474849505152535459 ... LastLast
    filghy2 Silver Poster

Default Re: For the Brits: When will BREXIT referendum happen ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    The fault for this sorry mess lies with one party and one party alone...The conservative party. They had two and half years to talk to other parties, and refused to do so....And now apparently, it's all Jeremy Corbyn's fault.
    I don't fucking think so!
    I agree that the Tory government made a mess of it, but you seem to be forgetting that Corbyn running dead during the referendum campaign was a big part of the reason why Brexit got up. He seems to be pursuing a classic small target strategy of avoiding any firm position and trying to be all things to all people. That might be smart politics in the short run, but it hardly provides any basis to resolve the mess if he becomes PM.

Even if Theresa May had played a smarter game I suspect it was always going to be an impossible mission. There is probably no deal that the EU could agree to that could attract majority support because the 52% who voted for Brexit had very different ideas about what that would involve. I know there's an argument that if one side can't find a solution than the other should get a chance, but if Corbyn became PM tomorrow he would be in the same predicament.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peejaye View Post
    CLASSIC! Just like the Establishment; Country is being FUCKED in every direction by these arseholes and this guy moans about the Leader of the opposition! HIS party didn't call the referendum....
    Just remember, this entirely predictable mess, is what you voted for...

filghy2 Silver Poster

No, he voted for the fairy tale Brexit - the one where you could get rid of all the things you didn't like about the EU without any cost, and all you had to do was bang your fist on the table and the EU would have to accept it. Surely it must be somebody else's fault that the fairy tale is not coming true?

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

CLASSIC! Just like the Establishment; Country is being FUCKED in every direction by these arseholes and this guy moans about the Leader of the opposition! HIS party didn't call the referendum....
    It’s a reasonable expectation to think that the person in that role at that particular moment (in what could well be regarded as a time of crisis) should at least have attended the meeting but I guess it didn’t suit him or his followers to be seen doing so.

Gold Poster

And you call it 'puerile', I call it having a spine.
    Ah so not present and not involved trumps present but not involved

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Well, well, well.

It would appear Corbyn was right (Yet again) not to take up the invitation to talk.
    It being nothing other than a cynical PR stunt.

So, Plan B - Tinker around with the Good Friday Agreement?

Oh, and just for the brainwashed, in the last couple of weeks...

Inflicts biggest ever defeat on a Govt
    Wins first vote ever finding a Govt in contempt of parliament.
    Forces first defeat on a Finance Bill in 40 yrs

But Corbyn isn't very good at opposition...

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Senior Member Professional Poster peejaye's Avatar

I don't know why you waste your precious time on them Jericho!
    I just laugh my cock off at them & I've just figured out how to block them.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I don't know why you waste your precious time on them Jericho!
    I just laugh my cock off at them & I've just figured out how to block them.
    Why would you block anyone if you believe in open and honest debate?

Senior Member Platinum Poster

It would appear Corbyn was right (Yet again) not to take up the invitation to talk.
    It being nothing other than a cynical PR stunt.
    So, Plan B - Tinker around with the Good Friday Agreement?
    Oh, and just for the brainwashed, in the last couple of weeks...Inflicts biggest ever defeat on a Govt
    Wins first vote ever finding a Govt in contempt of parliament.
    Forces first defeat on a Finance Bill in 40 yrs
    But Corbyn isn't very good at opposition...
    I did not say Corbyn was not good at opposition, rather one wonders why, having supported the Tories on Brexit since the Referendum in 2016 Labour has so cynically refused to continue supporting Theresa May. Because they want a General Election they have convinced themselves they will win.

-There is no basis to a re-negotiation of the GFA, a claim that appeared in the Telegraph this morning and was rubbished by lunchtime.

-the Govt was defeated on the Withdrawal Agreement because its own party and its 'partners' in govt, the DUP voted against it, and not because they supported Corbyn on the matter.
    -the contempt vote again was passed in December and again, the DUP voted against the Government, not because they wanted to support Corbyn.
    -the Finance Bill was defeated when 20 Tories voted against where 3 Labour MPs voted with the Govt, hardly an endorsement of Corbyn's leadership.

The point is that he would have lost nothing by going to a meeting with her, even if it was clear from the start that Theresa May is sticking rigidly to the WA she has negotiated with the EU. As it is Corbyn has been weakened, while it may sound silly for those who do to claim he is willing to meet members of HAMAS, Sinn Fein and any other demon of your choice, it might have some effect on less committed voters.

As it is, Plan B is Plan A with yet another attempt to persuade the EU to either drop the 'Backstop' from the terms of the WA or put a time limit on it, though there is no sign from either the EU or the Govt of Ireland that this is acceptable to them. According to the Guardian, May now sees three changes that are needed for Brexit to happen, she said-

My sense so far is that three key changes are needed.
    First, we will be more flexible, open and inclusive in the future in how we engage parliament in our approach to negotiating our future partnership with the European Union.
    Second, we will embed the strongest possible protections on workers’ rights and the environment.
    And third, we will work to identify how we can ensure that our commitment to no hard border in Northern Ireland and Ireland can be delivered in a way that commands the support of this House, and the European Union.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...b058cfe6d94553

But of those three, the first and second are really issues to be discussed after the terms of withdrawal have been agreed, while the third remains the issue the EU believes it has settled.

It is hard to know today what it is that MPs will vote on next week, but as the Wilson quote states, a week is a long time in politics.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

[QUOTE=peejaye;1870667]I don't know why you waste your precious time on them Jericho!

Once Labour get in and we have a Social Paradise, I'm planning on living to be 117.
    So it aint that precious at the moment!
    No, really, I'm serious...About the 117 bit.

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!