Page 32 of 61 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Professional Poster peejaye's Avatar

Default Re: For the Brits: When will BREXIT referendum happen ?

I'm NOT banging my head against a wall with you. STOP this obsession with Europe you people have. The money will come from some of the £350m per WEEK we are sending to that circus in Brussels! Yet again I have to repeat myself, Corbyn IS putting up taxes, where you claim this rubbish about taxing the rich having no effect is totally beyond me? YOU don't want to accept it because you don't agree with it, I clearly know where your coming from now.
    Monday is my drinking day so I'm going out now to hopefully wind-up a few Lib Dems!

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by peejaye View Post
    I'm NOT banging my head against a wall with you. STOP this obsession with Europe you people have. The money will come from some of the £350m per WEEK we are sending to that circus in Brussels! Yet again I have to repeat myself, Corbyn IS putting up taxes, where you claim this rubbish about taxing the rich having no effect is totally beyond me? YOU don't want to accept it because you don't agree with it, I clearly know where your coming from now.
    Monday is my drinking day so I'm going out now to hopefully wind-up a few Lib Dems!
    Peejaye, don't bang your head against walls of any kind, just acquaint yourself with some facts-

The £350m figure was also not what we sent to Brussels each week because the UK's rebate is deducted before the money is sent - the correct figure in 2014 for the amount sent was £276m a week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40860657

Yes, Jeremy Corbyn has said there will be tax increases on higher wage earners, but the reality is that neither he nor any other responsible politician is willing to admit that at some point in the next 5 years direct or indirect taxes will have to rise for everyone, which means on one level whatever you drink on a Monday will cost you more.

I am ex-Labour and sympathetic with some of Labour's policies, but I vote Green because of my deep disaffection with Labour after those tumultuous years of failure in the late 70s and 80s, and just as that might seem like ancient history to you I too am amazed to have seen at least three ancient Trotskyists from those years either on tv or on the web hailing Momentum as if it were the Second Coming -of Lenin, rather than Jesus, as if Lenin were a role model!

It is 2017 not 1917, the future you are so keen on should not be hi-jacked by people who don't want to live in it, or want only to recreate a failed past on the basis that there are no other ways to create jobs and economic growth, and who marched arm in arm with Farage and the Tories to vote this country out of the capitalist club they called the EU which their fellow leavers call the EUSSR -one day you lot will have to carry the can for this calamity, or not as I am sure you will blame the Liberal Democrats, whoever they are.

Bottoms Up!

filghy2 Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    The £350m figure was also not what we sent to Brussels each week because the UK's rebate is deducted before the money is sent - the correct figure in 2014 for the amount sent was £276m a week.
    Actually the net figure for the past year, taking account of what the UK gets back, was £156m per week. That's £2.37 per person. Total public spending was £14,818m per week, according to the document mentioned in the BBC article. So we are talking about only 1 per cent of total spending, even before taking account of impacts on the economy and tax revenue. It's amazing how some people persist in believing myths regardless of the facts.

Thanks Nigel. You've finally admitted what you were thinking the whole time

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...wer-in-the?amp

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    Thanks Nigel. You've finally admitted what you were thinking the whole time
    And when he says "There are about six million Jewish people living in America" you just know that is as loaded as it sounds. No need to wonder why this loathesome cowboy has tried to become an MP seven times and failed on each occasion. As he faces losing his lucrative salary as a Member of the European Parliament, he has turned his attention to that other great cause, the USA, and dividing California into two -or he was, as reported earlier this year, not sure of any recent developments.
    I expect that once the UKIP presence has exited the EU Parliament, Farage will exit the UK for the USA, become a US citizen, and your equal. Give that some thought!

Extract from the article, full link follows:
    Nigel Farage, the British politician known for his successful campaign to get the United Kingdom to leave the European Union, has teamed up with the backers of a campaign to split California into two separate states: a coastal state that would be dominated by liberal-dominated portion and an inland state that would be far more conservative.
    https://www.salon.com/2017/03/27/bre...fornia-in-two/

The 6 million reference is vile even by NF standards. As for slicing up California, the constitutional barriers are so formadable that no rational person would devote any effort pursuing it, foreign or American. But if the lunatics need a famous face for their pursuit of fantasy then our loser cowboy gets the part.
    Sorry for the diversion from the BREXIT numbers crunching.

filghy2 Silver Poster

As for slicing up California, the constitutional barriers are so formadable that no rational person would devote any effort pursuing it, foreign or American.
    West Virginia was split off from the rest of Virginia during the Civil War, so there does not appear to be any absolute constitutional impediment if there was sufficient political support. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_V...a#cite_note-12

Last edited by filghy2; 11-01-2017 at 08:02 AM.

The 6 million reference is vile even by NF standards. As for slicing up California, the constitutional barriers are so formadable that no rational person would devote any effort pursuing it, foreign or American. But if the lunatics need a famous face for their pursuit of fantasy then our loser cowboy gets the part.
    Sorry for the diversion from the BREXIT numbers crunching.
    Hmmm...Nigel Farage and standards? Surely a mutual contradiction?

If you do want to crunch numbers, the case of UKIP donor, Farage's best friend Arron Banks offers plenty for you, as his financial contributions to the Leave.EU campaign (and others, such as Grassroots Out) is now under official investigation by the Electoral Commission.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-eu-referendum

OpenDemocracy ran a series of articles on 'Dark Money' and this one on Banks is probably too detailed for most readers but is the familiar story with these 'self-made' millionaires of multiple companies, money moving from one to the other, shareholdings, official probes, suspicious accounting, false claims, resignations, fist-fights, and above all, claims about sums of money that just don't add up.
    https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/bre...-afford-brexit

Arron Banks started out selling vacuum cleaners door-to-door; his Russian wife allegedly drives around in a car with the number plate XMI5 SPY, probably a joke although Banks claims that during the EU Referendum campaign he went to the Russian Embassy to give them the UKIP view on Brexit, and where he met someone called 'Oleg' whom he concludes was the Embassy 'KGB' agent (yes, the KGB, in 2016!) who offered him a swig from a rare bottle of vodka from a batch made exclusively for Stalin (he being dead for some years and no longer drinking).
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson...Rg#.hnyBQRKw1p

So much smoke, so many mirrors.

As the Brexit negotiations limp toward the end of the year it is hard to feel optimistic that a comprehensive deal will be agreed that can be presented to the House of Commons at the end of the process in 2019. David Davis, Secretary of State for Exiting the European Union, gave the House of Commons an update on the negotiations last week, but while he appeared to tell the House what has been agreed, it was also notable for being vague on the details, while the ominous quote from a Brussels official some time ago exposed the actual weakness of the British case: nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.

Thus, on Citizen's Rights, there is an agreement on the basic right of EU and UK citizens to remain when the UK leaves the EU, but no agreement on the date from which that right begins. There is an agreement of 'onward movement' which means UK citizens living in EU countries can legally move from one to another (eg, from France to Spain) but there is no clarity on whether or not any legal claims will be made by the European Court of Justice, as Davis says the UK will honour such judgements, at the same time saying the UK will not be bound by decisions of the ECJ. This suggests the ECJ will make a decision, a UK Court will then make the same decision, and the UK government claim they are different!

The border between Ireland and Northern Ireland in principle will not infringe the terms of the Good Friday Agreement which guarantees free movement between the two and dual nationality for those who want an Irish passport; but the argument that Northern Ireland may remain in the Customs Union is not guaranteed. On the one hand, it would make sense for the EU to compromise on Northern Ireland and Gibraltar -both of which voted to remain in the EU- and allow them by some special law to remain in the Customs Union -but on the other hand this would mean two British territories remaining in the EU at a practical level, and Michel Barnier has made it clear -Brexit means Brexit, everywhere (see Independent link below).

In principle, again, the UK government has said it remains committed to the financial obligations it has already signed up to, but the actual sum of money that this means is a matter of contention and a big smell inside the Tory Party. The statement to the House can be read here-
    https://hansard.parliament.uk/common...itNegotiations

In the meantime, the practical realities are emerging: Michel Barnier has said the UK by leaving the EU will lose the right to host financial 'passporting', one of the most important financial components of the UK's EU membership and a blow to the City of London.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...-a8065131.html

Two EU agencies are leaving London.The European Medicines Agency will re-locate to Amsterdam, and the European Banking Agency will re-locate to Paris.
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...xit-relocation

In a week when the Chancellor of the Exchequer presented a bleak vision of the UK economy over the next five years, the doomsday book is being prepared for a new edition. On the cover there may be a reproduction of Ford Madox Brown's 1855 painting of a couple emigrating to Australia. It is called The Last of England...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brown_last_of_england.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	1040752

The everyday reality of Brexit is raising its ugly head. Sad to see UK losing her best and brightest.
    Stavros, are you thinking of emigrating to Australia?

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by flabbybody; 11-26-2017 at 08:43 AM.