Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Re: For the Brits: When will BREXIT referendum happen ?

The poor and ignorant, as usual, have lost the most. The result of over 2 decades of spin, has spun out of control.

Democracy is a responsibility, do never cast your vote lightly, and always look further than the candidates arguments. The millions of people who fought and died for this right deserve it. Just an advice for the US voters, coming autumn.

Senior Member Professional Poster peejaye's Avatar

WTF are all you people talking about? Can someone please explain to me what exactly; ordinary, working class people, like myself have lost exactly? I would like facts, not speculation. Simple English would be appreciated.

Respect democracy, the majority have spoken.

Senior Member Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by peejaye View Post
    ....can someone please explain to me what exactly; ordinary, working class people, like myself have lost exactly? I would like facts, not speculation......
    the future

World Class Asshole

Senior Member Platinum Poster

WTF are all you people talking about? Can someone please explain to me what exactly; ordinary, working class people, like myself have lost exactly? I would like facts, not speculation. Simple English would be appreciated.

Ordinary people like you have lost what we all have lost -political stability.
    A year ago a General Election produced a Conservative government with a mandate to rule for five years, by the end of this year we may have a coalition government because both of the main parties are in disarray with no known leader in the Conservative Party identified as the next Prime Minister and the Labour leader's position under intense challenge; and in two or five years time we may have lost Scotland from the Union in which case the UK as you and I know it will also have been lost.

I don't see how any new leader of the Conservative Party can just assume the position of Prime Minister, and we don't know how the exit from the UK will be negotiated, who will do it, or even what issues are going to be on the agenda, as nobody from the Leave campaign thought to write them down. With Scotland in more or less open rebellion and discontent in Northern Ireland threatening to re-open old wounds there, I am surprised that you cannot see that we have lost that degree of stability we had a year ago, even if you did not like either a Tory government or Corbyn as leader of Labour.

This week we may find financial instability added to the political instability, and you as a tax-payer will lose with regard to the value of your pension (or pension fund if you are still working), you will lose out if you have a holiday in continental Europe where a weaker pound means higher prices, and while some financial stability will return at some time we may be left with an economy that investors have no confidence in supporting which in the long term means ordinary people losing their jobs.

If the Leave campaign were able to give us an idea of what it is that in reality we have gained, then my answer might be different, but until Article 50 is invoked and we see what is on the negotiating table we will not have a concrete idea of what we have lost and gained, which leaves us with the situation where this morning Farage could glibly admit that there will be a recession, as if even a minor recession in his terms was no big deal, so you can add to the loss of political stability, financial stability, and confidence in the British economy, a loss of intelligence. But that is not why I do not have a headless chicken for supper. In view of the lies we were told by the Leave campaign, pork pies it is.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

You haven't lost anything. You've just changed things. Whether the changes are for better or worse, at least in the more immediate future, only time will tell.
    You will hear all types of hyperbole, but with this vote you neither created heaven nor the apocalypse. It will just be different. It might even change the face of the UK in the future, but you'll survive it and move on.
    The reality is, with a vote this close, you'll hear a lot of horse shit...for a long time.
    Anyway, for better or worse, what's done is done...now move along and make it work.
    I'm sure you will.

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Scotland (Northern Ireland and unsurprisingly Gibraltar) all voted overwhelmingly to remain. In Scotland's case 62:38 in favour of remaining.

Now, browsing the BBC News website, I came across this article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-36633244

Nicola Sturgeon says MSPs at Holyrood could veto Brexit

"Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has told the BBC that Holyrood could try to block the UK's exit from the EU."

I have no idea if this is even feasible. From reading the article it would appear not and that she was manouvered into making the comment by some "decidedly adept questioning". However, it does fuel the flames that the UK is no longer a politically "United" country, despite the result of the Scottish independence referendum.

On Thursday afternoon it cost me $1.50 to buy one Pound Sterling on the spot New York foreign exchange market. On Friday morning it was worth $1.35
    Everything that is not created in your own country will cost you much more, from iPhones to French wine.
    An American company with British holdings has suffered a one day loss in asset value that has occurred only a few times in modern economic history. Future UK investment is on permanent hold. In the world of finance your once proud island nation has become toxic.
    I can go on but I won't

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    You haven't lost anything. You've just changed things. Whether the changes are for better or worse, at least in the more immediate future, only time will tell.
    You will hear all types of hyperbole, but with this vote you neither created heaven nor the apocalypse. It will just be different. It might even change the face of the UK in the future, but you'll survive it and move on.
    The reality is, with a vote this close, you'll hear a lot of horse shit...for a long time.
    Anyway, for better or worse, what's done is done...now move along and make it work.
    I'm sure you will.
    It is about timing, Fred, because in the long term your pragmatic view may prevail, and the UK will adjust and survive, but in the short to medium term we don't know if that will include Scotland and Northern Ireland, and in the short term in particular the uncertainty over our government spooks the markets, and raises questions among those who might have been thinking of investing in the UK, setting up long term problems of economic growth, or slower growth than we would want. The Brexit argument often conceded that it could take 10 years to re-calibrate the economy, but that could be the last best 10 years of my life, or the 10 years in which a university graduate ought to be developing a professional career, or a school-leaver learning a trade and starting a family, but a decade of high unemployment, high interest rates (or negative interest rates), inflation, low growth, low opportunity, and a generally moribund mood. It is a pessimistic view, but that is not surprising when you look at the people who got us into this mess, people who do not encourage me to think the new arrangements will be better than what we had last week.

Junior Poster

I believe Britain will renegotiate a new treaty with the EU in order to stay in. They don't want to see the break up of the UK with Scotland seeking full independence and Northern Ireland seeking a border union with the Irish Republic. Neither would they want to see a domino effect of others pulling out of the EU. Brexit voters will learn they have been duped especially those who voted on immigration and payments to the EU

Senior Member Professional Poster peejaye's Avatar

Thanks Fred, I think your views are realistic.
    Stavros; I asked for facts, not speculation or your own personal views but thanks anyway.
    I don't regard this country or this government as stable, I never have for the last 5/6 years. Public money as been shared out between the Politicians and their wealthy friends for far too long. One disaster after another. Look at the selling of Royal Mail, undersold by millions and the West Coast rail franchise; £40m pissed against the wall by these arseholes, no one battered an eyelid. Business as usual! Disgrace!
    There; that's my views; for what it's worth.
    I look forward to the future now this countries biggest arsehole as resigned. Boris Johnson will not be the next leader of the Conservatives so anyone else is better than what we had.