Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Old Biddy Silver Poster Gillian's Avatar

Default Re: Jeff Bezos - Fire Transphobic Jeremy Clarkson Planet Transgender!!!

I've just read that and can't really see what the fuss is about.

It's Clarkson. What were you expecting? He's just a polemicist for the masses. He's no Christopher Hitchens or Richard Dawkins; just a middle-aged bloke who still smokes, wears jeans, and takes a swing at the occasional TV producer ...

Senior Member Veteran Poster Lester316's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simes View Post
    Insensitive claptrap from the prize tit, with a truly cringeworthy mini-back track at the end. Luckily for him, my ignorant right wing colleagues ensure his income by buying into his asinine games.
    Sounds very much like you are another who having made up your mind about the man have also decided that anything he ever says is objectionable.

It's so refreshing how open minded people can be isn't it...

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Not true. I have found the man amusing and exasperating in equal measure. This I find to be spurious and trying a little too hard to be controversial, which is odd when you consider how easy he has found controversy in the past. Some of his writing has been genuinely witty, but unfortunately he sees himself as some purveyor of truths only he has the courage to speak. Like AA Gill, his best is a long way behind him.

Last edited by simes; 01-26-2016 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spelling

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by runningdownthatdream View Post
    .......someone better throw some flame retardant on Seanchai's skirts
    I'd read the full article. The copy in my OP was from the online petition. His last line means nothing, he's not coming back from claiming parents were 'lunatics' or comparing transsexuals to believing they were 'Napoleon' by stating, 'well if they just want an extra box on the form, I can accept that'.

Anyone who knows me, knows I'm not one for political correctness, for bending to liberal social justice warriors on whims. But while this sort of copy is out there, and while he's a celebrity which loads of 'blokes' follow all around the world, then it just helps perpetuate transsexuals as jokes or freaks. And if that's how you feel, then you're really on the wrong board.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelf View Post
    I've just read that and can't really see what the fuss is about.

It's Clarkson. What were you expecting? He's just a polemicist for the masses. He's no Christopher Hitchens or Richard Dawkins; just a middle-aged bloke who still smokes, wears jeans, and takes a swing at the occasional TV producer ...
    And has an audience in which people think his views are acceptable. Some are funny. I enjoy a lot of Top Gear. Other views, simply aren't. If you've got that platform, you have to respect it and what you state.

Old Biddy Silver Poster Gillian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GroobySteven View Post
    If you've got that platform, you have to respect it and what you state.
    He's paid to offend or provoke outrage. As a reader, you should expect to be outraged. There's a big market these days for complaining about stuff on social media. Clarkson is merely feeding the beast. I'm not going to let his unpalatable views spoil my day ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shelf View Post
    He's paid to offend or provoke outrage. As a reader, you should expect to be outraged. There's a big market these days for complaining about stuff on social media. Clarkson is merely feeding the beast. I'm not going to let his unpalatable views spoil my day ...
    They don't spoil my day but I'm also not going to condone his views - or not let my feelings be known about it. It's more palatable if he's stuck to a paper (like that horror Littlejohn) but when a progressive company like Amazon is hiring him, then they should think again.

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

For those who didn't click the link to the article, here is the very last two paragraphs...

"But then I thought of something. Let’s just say for a moment that one in 1,000 are transgender. Or one in 100,000. Or even that it’s actually just one. Let’s say that there is one person out there who is a woman living in a man’s body, or the other way around.
    I started to imagine what life might be like for the poor soul. It would be dreadful. Absolutely awful. And all they seem to want to make their life better is a third gender option box on official documents. That’s not really the end of the world for everyone else, is it?"

To get to these last two segments, you had to read through the usual bullshit like male prisoners just wanting to be in a prison with women instead. Or as Seanchi referenced, the stupid comparison to people who think they are Napoleon (insinuating that it's just a mental disorder). Or the one that Mike Huckabee used here in the USA about boys just wanting to shower with girls at a girls school and "dream impossible dreams." It's not a human rights issue to him, its not a moral issue to him. We are all "transgender enthusiasts" who support them, people who have helped "poison" the minds of children, and adults.

So he makes an statement at the end supporting a third box. So what. He doesn't support it, he doesn't believe in it, he just is sick of hearing about it. And in the mean time, he is just as insulting and repulsive as ever. You won't change this caveman. But you can limit his influence, and if you're on this site, you should want to limit his influence.

Sign the damn petition.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Jus wookin puh nub.

Veteran Poster

"Sign the damn petition." From jeniferparishusband.

wow ow I think I'd prefer to make my own mind up thank you as I'm sure others would. You no better than JC demanding people fall in line with your instruction. Unbelievable. The hypocritical nature of some on her is truly shocking.

Jenifer I will sign the petition but because I want to not through you dictatorship demands.

3 out of 4 members liked this post.

Senior Member Veteran Poster Lester316's Avatar

The reality of this topic (regardless of people's opinions of the article) is that a petition will make no difference.

If a taxpayer funded very PC organisation such as the BBC opted not to fire Clarkson despite all the things he did wrong over the years a company like Amazon never will.

Clarkson's BBC contract was not renewed but was allowed to expire following an assault, even though at that point the BBC owned the format to the Top Gear cash cow they still chose not to sack him.

Anyone who thinks Amazon would choose to do something the BBC didn't because Amazon are worried about their image is simply deluded. If they were that image obsessed the massive complaints regarding their tax avoidance would be much more of an issue than one sub-contracted TV show content provider. Add in the fact this time issue is related to what (sadly) most Amazon customers will see as an unimportant minority there is simply no pressure for a company like Amazon to do anything.

If they were even the slightest bit concerned about image over money they would never have hired him in the first place.