Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Member Rookie Poster Transformation Magazine's Avatar

Default Re: Transformation 96: The International Issue

Transformation 96 (Part Two) : A chat with activist @AudreyMbugua of #Kenya

TWITTER: @AudreyMbugua
    PHOTO CREDIT: Katy Migiro (Reuters)

Part one of this interview can be found in Transformation 96: The International Issue

What do you like to do in your free time? Doing anything with my computer. Also, gardening and reading.

Transition is physical, emotional, and social, all of which present different types of challenges. Tell us about your experience of them if you could. It was tough but nothing worth having comes easy. Surprisingly, the challenges and attacks made me more determined in finding lasting solutions for the REAL challenges of transgender people. Maybe at one time I was bitter and a bit mean, but it is a journey and one has to make sense of everything in a way that will make one want to wake up next morning even when it’s clear you are at a disadvantage.

What are you the most proud of so far in your life? What are you working towards now? Winning in the court of law and court of public opinion in landmark cases involving transgender people in Kenya involving discrimination and violence.

Describe the 2-3 events that most shaped your life. Forming the Transgender Education and Advocacy, wins in court on the right to register my organization and to change names and my gender mark on my high school certificate.

When I was attacked by some gay activists for advocating for the right of transgender people to voice and represent themselves and their issues. I broke the myth that transgender people were meant to be sheep or flower girls for the homosexual community. I easily weathered the storm and made me realize how tough I was. From that day I embraced my second name -Mbugua – which means a person of steel.

What are some hot topics in your area? Silly tribal politics. I hate it when grown up men and women defend politicians from their tribe using arguments that are illogical and you want to call them animals but you feel like you will be offending the beasts in the jungle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	audrey.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	249.4 KB 
ID:	921445
    Audrey Mbugua of Kenya (Photo: Katy Migiro for Reuters)

What is the best advice you’ve ever received? Best gift? None. I guide myself. All the people who try to advice me are wrong.

What gets you riled up enough to lose your temper? Confusing transgender people with homosexuals. I am not homophobic but I normally read malice when people gaynize transgender people. I believe the intention is to use transgender people for homosexual acts and make them targets of homophobic attacks.

You would never catch me wearing _____ Fear. I am a transgender woman of steel.

What do you most admire? Courage, confidence and intelligence.

Are there any memorable characters who had an impact on your life? My father

Fitness is very important to you. What are some of your top tips? Running on a Saturday morning. It increases my endurance.

Can you tell me about your family? Parents, siblings, extended? How did they influence who you are? I have a father and a mother. Two older brothers and two younger sisters. They are courageous and I love them.

What has acceptance come to mean to you? It feels nice but I know there are relatives who are ashamed of me. But, they are all entitled to their opinion.

find us:
    online | transformationonline.com
    twitter | @transpubinc
    instagram | @transpubinc
    facebook | facebook.com/Transpubinc

Transformation 96 (Part Two): A chat with @marissaminxx of #Australia

Marissa Minxx, Australia
    TWITTER: @marissaminxx
    PHOTO CREDIT: Sam Melborne

Part one of this interview can be found in Transformation 96: The International Issue

What do you like to do in your free time? During my spare time I’m a major fan of relaxation therapy deprivation tanks. It’s a sound proof, completely pitch black, pod, with about 40 centimeters of water with epsom salts in it. You basically just go in it for an hour or so, and relax and let your mind do the rest. I love to lay back and have the feeling of floating in there. My mind just regenerates itself, and I always leave feeling so refreshed in a positive state of mind, and relaxed…at first it was pretty freaky being locked in there in the pitch black, but trust me does wonders.

What gets you riled up enough to lose your temper? Hmmmm, my biggest thing that gets my temper going, is people who are so quick to judge you from what they hear or read. I dislike people who judge or tease others to make themselves feel good. It’s not needed and I don’t like the bad energy it brings into the room.

Fitness/beauty/cooking/etc. is very important to you. What are some of your top tips? Any of you who are planning on visiting Australia – My best beauty advice would be to drink lots of water. Also, wear moisturizer and sunscreen with a high SPF! And hey, maybe a little Botox (HEHE), apparently our ozone layer is thinner? (Im trying to sound smart.)

Name:	marissa.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	245.5 KB 
ID:	922004
    Marissa Minxx of Australia (Photo: Sam Melborne)

Can you tell me about your family? Parents, siblings, extended? How did they influence who you are? My family and I are incredibly close, and I’m very lucky to have such a understanding accepting family. I guess they always knew when I was growing up I was stuck in the wrong body. When I told my mum I was changing into a girl her first words were “About bloody time.” Hahaha. They have offered nothing but acceptance and loving feelings towards me still, which I treasure and don’t take for granted. My sister and I are like best friends. She knows my life and I know what’s happening with hers, and quite bizarrely, we are so open with each other, we know each others sex life!!! Hahaha. It’s a weird, close bond we have, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. It’s like having a best girlfriend in high school, all the convos we have!!

What has acceptance come to mean to you? I was really big with being “accepted” when I first changed. But now I’m happy to say I’m so content with myself and comfortable and confident, if some one doesn’t accept me for who I am, I will not give them the time of day…

You would never catch me wearing ?? Hmmm, you know what? I’m a dork. I’ll wear anything for a laugh!! lol

Who do you most admire? I admire Carmen Carrera. Omg, she is just so inspiring, and such a great role model. I also LOVVVVVEE Sarina Valentina!! xoxo

find us:
    twitter | @transpubinc
    instagram | @transpubinc

Transformation 96 (Part Two): A chat with @JudithWilde7X of Spain/USA

Judith Wilde, Spain/USA
    TWITTER: @JudithWilde7X
    PHOTO CREDIT: Las Vegas Chicas

Do you have any fantasies? I have many fantasies, but there is one in particular that I would like to come true. This is being seen while having sex … a sexual encounter on a stage crowded, either with one or more girls or boys.

Transition is physical, emotional and social, which present different types of challenges. Tell us about your experience of them if you could. After Caitlyn Jenner’s glamorous debut as a woman on the cover of Vanity Fair, the transgender community stressed that the transition from Jenner was not typical, but has the respect of the community. Many transgender people do not have the resources or the support of Jenner enjoyed. Although the transition of each person is unique, most transgender people suffer from lack of support or understanding from their families. Moreover, they can take years to make the full transition, if they succeed. You should not judge trans people (and by extension, should offer acceptance and rights) based on their ability to ‘make an impression’. We must stop forcing transgender people to feel they need to undergo a lot of quite distressing medical procedures that may not wish or are beyond their reach. I revealed that he was transgender when he was 27, but medical transition began two years ago. My self-esteem grew significantly thing I attribute to the comfort felt by openly express what they knew for years: I am a woman. I’m trying to raise $34,000 for facial feminization surgery, which involves a series of reconstructive procedures that will add more femininity to my features. Although the lack of resources for surgeries, and lack of support when I revealed my situation have been great obstacles, I feel it was worth. My favorite part of the process is just beginning really, I’m just getting to the point where the person I see in the mirror is more woman than man and that’s super exciting! There is a feeling of fullness and connection with my body that is slowly but surely comes over me. It’s unlike anything I’ve experienced before. People did not know what to think or how to deal with me. Many people do not understand how a person who had so many male interests; motorcycles, cars, soccer … and so on could be transgender. However, I am and I am very happy with the changes you have made so far and am excited about what the future holds for me.

What is the best advice you’ve received? “Struggle to achieve your goals.”

Name:	judith.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	923375

Best gift? My best gift is life.

Who or what do you most admire? My parents for their fighting character. I also admire my partner because their values and their way of life has brought me a lot of my life. It’s a really wonderful person. Beauty is something beautiful to admire. The beauty I can find when I look into the eyes of a child, or looking mountains or enjoying a sunset. The beauty is in the big things, like the others are doomed to die, or in that small, unpretentious can be infinite. Beauty gives me pleasure and I can not help but admire and be grateful for what I see.

Are there any memorable characters who had an impact on your life? Leonardo Da Vinci. He was ahead of his time, almost alien. He ventured into such diverse fields as aerodynamics, hydraulics, anatomy, botany, painting, sculpture and architecture, among others. His scientific investigations were, largely forgotten and undervalued by his contemporaries; his output, however, was immediately recognized as a master able to realize the ideal of beauty in works of disturbing suggestion and delicate poetry. It makes me laugh at Dan Brown, because I am convinced that he has not understood Leonardo. No not really. If you want to know how Brown is wrong about Leonardo da Vinci, you only need to think of something as simple as the name of the artist. Starting with the title and following the novel, Brown and all his scholars characters refer to the artist simply as Da Vinci, like its name. Well, you know what? That’s not his name. No historical literature or reference book named him that. His name was Leonardo. Illegitimate son of one Piero da Vinci, born in the city of Vinci, near Florence. So obviously it means Da Vinci comes from the town of Vinci. Someone who claims to be an art expert and continually refers to it as Da Vinci is as credible as an expert course in religion to call Jesus of Nazareth as continuously. Search a history book and will read things about Leonardo Da Vinci not. Go to the library and ask for a biography of the artist. You will not find D or V. You find Leonardo L, because that’s his name. Perhaps we agree on this: an author who can not even give the name of the central historical figure of his book, would not deserve us to trust his knowledge of history. It can certainly entertain us otherwise, but, please, do not pretend that The Da Vinci Code we report on history, religion or art.

Health is very important to you. What is some of your best advice? A good diet based on the Mediterranean food, drinking water, restful sleep and daily exercise.

find us:
    twitter | @transpubinc
    instagram | @transpubinc