Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Professional Poster

Default Re: How to overcome a battle with severe depression

Quote Originally Posted by runningdownthatdream View Post
    For me, it helps to get out of the house even if to just wander aimlessly about. Maybe go see a movie, go to a bookstore, anything that gets the mind distracted from sordid thoughts. Sometimes it takes tremendous willpower but usually it does work even if only temporarily. The thing is not to get caught in an ever-descending spiral. Also, vitamin B100 complex helps raise my energy and alertness which again helps to distract my thoughts. Once you become self-aware you should know when its coming on and become pro-active. I've never taken any medications to treat it.
    I absolutely agree. You may have to force yourself but get outside. Good luck.

Brooklyn CD ladyboy Veteran Poster CD_Sasha's Avatar

You're not alone. I suffer random bouts of depression and major social anxiety that some ppl *cough* DAN_CL *cough* think it's fake. Can't get outta the house sometimes and have major self doubt. I CD from time to time and I think other CDs can relate with me that there's a connection between depression and CDing but that's a different topic right there.

Do what you gotta do to relieve the depression though.. like someone mentioned - change the environment, turn on the lights, blast music, pump some iron or fap to HungAngel chicks :P

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    Last edited by CD_Sasha; 01-01-2016 at 02:09 AM.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Member Rookie Poster

I know this sounds silly, but good nutrition can help against depression:- http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/depression/
    Watch the vids and get back to me.

Professional Poster runningdownthatdream's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrow_from_Oz View Post
    I know this sounds silly, but good nutrition can help against depression:- http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/depression/
    Watch the vids and get back to me.
    From a glance at the content you've got posted there it seems your various postulations run the gamut from fish to acidic foods to pollutants and on and on and on. Usually when there's such an abundance of causes conveniently backed with a lot of pseudo-scientific 'studies' and 'facts', there's somebody kicking around with a magic remedy (a la Kevin Trudeau who I believe is now comfortably ensconced in a prison somewhere) and sure enough a quick glance at the first video turns up annoying Kevin Trudeau/Ron Popeil like voice and not so subtle sales pitch for a book at the end.

Maybe other people might be willing to give you a chance but I'll take a pass.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Maybe other people might be willing to give you a chance but I'll take a pass.
    I agree. While nobody's experience is more valid than anyone else's, there are some things that work for intuitive reasons. Getting out when it's uncomfortable to do so can break through the inertia and rumination that accompanies depression. Cognitive behavioral therapy has support in clinical studies (to at least as great a degree as medicine) and can help someone re-frame negative thoughts. Part of depression is believing that a negative emotion is objective when it does not necessarily correspond to the reality of the situation.

I regret posting so adamantly about antidepressants when there are many other options that work for people and you've already said you are not interested. So I apologize for that. I really was too enthusiastic to share my experience.

There are a couple of nutritional options that have shown some benefit for people but often they are most effective when people have a nutritional deficiency or in people who do not metabolize certain nutrients. For instance, methylfolate has shown some benefit for people who cannot methylate dietary folate. But for people who can, it probably will not help.

Anyhow, I think considering some things we have offered can be helpful. It can never hurt to at least rule out low testosterone and low thyroid too which you can do with a simple blood test. I hope you can break through the self-reinforcing patterns of depression and I wish you a happy new year.

Professional Poster runningdownthatdream's Avatar

My post wasn't directed at you Broncofan.......as usual, you clearly and succinctly outlined what works for you and what doesn't. Over the years I've noticed you have a very analytical bent so any advice from you should be carefully considered. I haven't considered medication as yet perhaps because I think I've got through the worse of it years ago and now can more or less tell when I'm having an episode which then causes me to take corrective action. At one time I was VERY strongly opposed to medication as I could not handle the thought of having my personality artificially modified - trite perhaps but that's me. I do think eating properly can aid with overall health and the more I think about it the more I'm inclined to believe low testosterone is also a contributing factor.

This statement you made "Part of depression is believing that a negative emotion is objective when it does not necessarily correspond to the reality of the situation." sums up one of the most important symptoms that those who suffer with depression need to understand and recognize when it's occurring. Chaining together negative emotions is what leads to severe episodes and suicidal thoughts.

Knowing you are not alone is a first step... Many of us have felt the same from time to time. This time of year can be difficult. Meditate, dance, practice yoga, talk with a therapist... find what works best for you. Hang in there!

Not making light of your situation, but this story makes me laugh. Hopefully, it can bring a smile to you as well!
    http://popdust.com/2014/11/08/suicid...ies-will-live/

Gold Poster

My post wasn't directed at you Broncofan...
    This statement you made "Part of depression is believing that a negative emotion is objective when it does not necessarily correspond to the reality of the situation." .
    Yeah I know. I just wanted to share the fact that I appreciated all of the other posts in this thread, including yours, and that I too was a bit skeptical about some nutritional recommendations in the same way you are because they often stoke paranoia about contaminants in the body and prey on certain tendencies of depressed people.

Christopher Hitchens once said that when he was trying to quit smoking he took Wellbutrin until he found out it was an antidepressant. He wanted his depression to be his own and did not want to artificially alter his moods. I thought this was weird because he was someone who smoked and drank, presumably for the changes in his brain chemistry, but accepted a host of obviously harmful side effects. Of course, I understand why someone would be more skeptical about a synthetic, mind altering substance than one that grows or can be brewed or fermented. The concern is reasonable and a lot of people are able to treat their depression without ever touching medicine.

I think in your last paragraph you home in on something that is weirdly both cause and symptom in depression. I bet all of the effective treatments do something to break up this pattern.

Gold Poster

My post wasn't directed at you Broncofan.......
    Yeah I see where I sowed confusion. I was playing off of your post and then I suddenly shifted out of nowhere to an apology to op. In the back of my head I felt bad about being the only one pushing the idea of medicines when op was pretty clear he did not want them.

Last edited by broncofan; 01-01-2016 at 04:28 AM.

:) Junior Poster

Hi! First of all, Happy New Year.

Now, I am not sure that my experience can help you, but hopefully it can.

So long story short, I was training since middle school, good success, everything seemed to go great, right up until college when I got the injury (torn ligaments, and unfortunate additional happenings) So as you may guess, no going pro, basically I was cut out of the only thing I had built my life on. So for a good while I stopped going out, dropped out of the college, basically I just sulked and wanted to die, but something held me back.. I talked to family and the friends then, finished the rehabilitation, rediscovered my love for workout and sports (unfortunately going pro still not an option) so I slowly got myself back to shape and started thinking... what should I do, well, I will not bother you with this, but let's just say I figured my path out and am about to open my own business.

And then, I love women, and since you are here, I guess you do too, so you could use this as a motivation then.

So I guess what I wanted to say, is that if I got through it (no medication as well) then you can too, and I will be hoping your 2016 goes great. Sorry for the long post and bad english, it's late and not my native tongue.

Veni Vidi Vici