Gold Poster

Smile Rugby World Cup 2015

Betwixt the award of penalty kicks and taking of said penalties there's a mini-game where they run up and down the pitch a bit and throw the ball backwards before indulging in stage-managed plays where they form into crab-like structures or parallel lines of various lengths at the edge of the pitch. All this whilst a man barks the rulebook at them like an overzealous sports teacher and does the occasional Tai Chi moves like 'painting the box in the sky'.

People in other countries saw this English game and thought - 'We must do that!'... so inevitably in the course of time the consequence was the birth of the Rugby World Cup... so once more unto the breach dear brethren!

So who's going to win? Are you going to learn the Hakarena? Who was Johnny Wilkinson and does it matter any more?

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Default Re: Rugby World Cup 2015

Well, I'll be watching it, but probably not with the same level of interest as previous years.

Setting aside the fact that Scotland are nowhere near the team they used to be, there's something "not quite right" about rugby union these days. I think it's partly down to the rule changes with regard to the scrum but in truth, I can't quite put my finger on the reason.

As to who will win, as usual, it will be a brave man who bets against the All Blacks.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by Laphroaig; 09-17-2015 at 10:16 PM.

Gold Poster

The flow of the game seems to be compromised by the referee's whistle and the promotion of the role to director of the game.

Introduction of Hawkeye should be interesting.

As to who will win I've no idea either but I've seen the All Blacks in a mess and even the Italians commanding but the French are always dangerous and who knows one of the Home Nations could pull it out of the hat.

In the meantime the Opening Ceremony is underway might take a sneak peek...

I didn't know they were introducing Hawkeye into this World Cup. Apart from tries, which I think are already adequately covered by referral to the TMO if required, I'm struggling to think of a good reason for its use in Rugby. It will be interesting to see how it is implemented.

I think the problem is that there seem to be too many "technical" infrigements these days, which even the experts sometimes struggle to understand. The scrum though, seems to be a particularly problematic area. I understand that many of the changes have been introduced to improve safety, but it's very frustrating to see a scrum reset half a dozen times and then a penalty awarded to one team.

I'm watching Master and Commander (again). I'll probably switch over once that's finished, hopefully, by that time the opening ceremony will be over.

Last edited by Laphroaig; 09-18-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Regulator Professional Poster JenniferParisHusband's Avatar

I would watch, but I'm an American, and have no clue what is going on when watching the game. It makes no sense at all. Neither does cricket, but it looks kind of like baseball, so I can watch that for a while. No clue how that's played either.

That said, I know that if the US team is there, we won't win.

Jus wookin puh nub.

If you can understand American Football (I've watched the Superbowl twice and had no clue what was going on there), then you should have no trouble with Rugby Union.

The USA are in the same group as Scotland and that group has just been turned on it's head by Japan's shock victory over South Africa.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34269878

Baseball is just rounders and cricket is just "posh" rounders that lasts for days...

Last edited by Laphroaig; 09-19-2015 at 10:45 PM.

Gold Poster

Well I just enjoyed Italy vs Canada a high tempo game with a quality try and evenly matched unlike some of the others this week.

Looking forward to Wales vs England this evening

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Haven't seen as much of it as I'd like, but my favourite moment to date has to be the crowd in the Millennium Stadium singing "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" during the Australia - Fiji game. The Wallabies were not amused...

Quote Originally Posted by rodinuk View Post

Looking forward to Wales vs England this evening
    Can anyone guess the result?...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1364007404632.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	879794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	harryfinal.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	879795