Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Default Re: So what do you Brits make of Trump ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	media_af23a0d0-19de-11e5-b2b9-0193dca05497.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	881154

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

I'm British, I don't care. i'm not American, and his election should it happen woulnd't bother me...

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Senior Member Professional Poster peejaye's Avatar

Well; It should holzz. WAKE UP! This man is a f++king lunatic! It's not only the Americans who will need to sleep with one eye open but the rest of he world too!

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Senior Member Professional Poster peejaye's Avatar

Hollz; If you're not interested in Politics don't write pointless comments under these threads. If you are interested; be f++king scared of this guy!

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

So Trump wants to arm teachers and kids! Blames the mental ill - why are they such a problem? Because you have a healthcare system that benefits only those that can afford it. Mental health in the US is managed by the US Prison Service. Why can't people like Trump understand that?

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I tried to watch most of the latest Republican candidates debate on youtube but the fourth part was not available for copyright reasons. I don't think they discussed gun control (not even its relationship to bacon, see youtube clip below) or foreign policy. The greatest cheer from the public came when I think it was Ted Cruz complained about the 'mainstream media' ganging up on them, and this from a man who claimed he wanted to focus on 'substantive issues'. Where Fox News and the Murdoch press fits into the US media environment I evidently do not know.

My impression is that Trump is losing interest, apart from the usual sarcastic remarks about his competitors he had little to say about policy that showed any grasp of what taxation or social security might look like in detail. But I also wonder how others like Ben Carson and Rand Paul are allowed to promote 'flat tax' ideas which have been considered elsewhere and then dropped -here in the UK the United Kingdom Independence Party used to have a flat tax policy which they dropped because it simply doesn't work in terms of raising tax revenue, and is blatantly unfair.

Jeb Bush came across as someone who has given up the fight, I think he will have dropped out by the New Year. I cannot understand the appeal of Ben Carson who to me is inarticulate and has no grasp of policy, Kasich appears to know what he is talking about and is making extravagant claims for Ohio which may be true for all I know, but does come across as a headmaster lecturing schoolchildren. Chris Christie comes across as a bully and the smart person's favourite, Marco Rubio came out on top, at times he even sounded reasonable, which these days must be an achievement for a Republican.

Most striking is that none were prepared to admit the Party in Congress is divided against itself and may be to blame for the gridlock and caving in to 'special interests' that they insist is why Washington is out of touch with the voters, and none look to me like Presidential material. It may be easy to mock Hillary Clinton and summon the ghosts of the past to rise up and swarm all over her campaign, but she is the only candidate so far who appears to have experience in policy making at the highest level, and a degree of seriousness and application that the others lack.

Though still to early to call, it looks to me like Rubio has the staying power, while most of the others are a waste of time, but who knows how the voters will call it?

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

As always Stavros, your analysis is spot on. Rubio looks like he can pick up the remnants of the inevitable Trump-Carson meltdown and hold on until the finish line. But in the general versus Hillary he'll be drubbed as bad as Goldwater in '64.
    BTW. Did you catch the part wher Marco said his kids are getting a proper Christian education? made me wanna barf

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    As always Stavros, your analysis is spot on. Rubio looks like he can pick up the remnants of the inevitable Trump-Carson meltdown and hold on until the finish line. But in the general versus Hillary he'll be drubbed as bad as Goldwater in '64.
    BTW. Did you catch the part wher Marco said his kids are getting a proper Christian education? made me wanna barf
    Thanks for the compliment, but there is a long way to go and my views divorced as they are from the home ground may be more superficial than most Americans. The comment on the Christian education is par for the course these days, it might even suit the Republican Party to declare itself a Christian party...or, let's not go there.

In the UK press the news today is that a billionaire called David Singer is backing Rubio, which may enable the lad to open campaign offices in various states where none so far exist; while the Republican National Committee has effectively told NBC it won't co-operate with them in the debate scheduled for February because of the 'inane' questions asked by the biased team in Boulder. That sounds to me like a child taking his ball away from a game when he can't score. The problem is the format, as we have noted before, because there isn't enough time to drill down into the details.

Ms Fiorina for example wants to reduce 75,000 pages of tax regulations to 3. I suspect she actually wants to abolish tax on everything other than the armed forces but is too coy to say so, but if there is a serious debate to be had on taxation, at one time the most toxic issue in American politics, a debate featuring seven people with 30 seconds of air time is not the place for it.

Where is the debate on education or science; energy and climate change; agriculture and food? There are a host of hugely important issues that are not raised and maybe yes, it is because the pundits want to create good tv and so it is better (and easy) to bait Trump, and ask fatuous questions like 'What is your greatest weakness? rather than look at the state of California and ask -is the USA facing a long term crisis of food production, and how would you deal with that?

It is just as bad over here a lot of the time.

Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

don't care...if anything he represents how most Americans are politically. i think we need to end this "special relationship", bring all troops home,and focus on national defence. this includes renewing Trident. Even if Hilary won, or Bush III, or Jindal or anybody else, this "alliance" with the USA doesn't serve us.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by holzz View Post
    ... this includes renewing Trident...
    Really - one of those U-turns?

On 09-11-2014:
    Quote Originally Posted by holzz View Post
    I'm English...I want a yes vote!!

Why?

We don't need Scotland...

We're not a poor country, and we don't need to export oil and gas.

And fuck Trident, I don't see why we need nukes anyhow (Germany hasn't got them, they do fine).

And the Act of Union was only signed out of convenience anyhow. Scotland had fucked up their colonialism and England didn't want a potential ally of France.

Let them go, I don't really give a shit either way.