Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: So what do you Brits make of Trump ?

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    Stavros makes a valid point about Trump's shaky bible background but it might not be a liability at all. Americans like to talk about God but at the end of the day we don't really give a rat's ass about our religions.
    The defining moment of John Kennedy's campaign versus Richard Nixon in 1960 came when JFK gave a speech at Rice University essentially renouncing his Catholicism and assuring the public he was a secular individual. Obama did much the same thing when he dissociated himself from his long time pastor who had made some dubious comments about America's responsibility for the 9/11 attacks.
    For me personally, I'd be very leery of voting for a truly religious person for president
    Interesting point about religion, it often sounds strident here because we are not used to our politicians making any grand statements about their faith, not even from Tony Blair -when he was in office- who is the most extreme in religious terms we have had in recent memory. However, were not Bill Clinton and George W. Bush 'truly religious' Presidents? Or is it a matter of how they link their faith to their policies? Wasn't Bush opposed to stem cell research for religious reasons? Was it a religious reason that got both George W Bush and his brother Jeb involved in the legal decision to re-instate Terry Schiavo's feeding tube in Florida in 2003? However I do suspect you are basically right and that on the day most voters choose the candidate they think will benefit the economy.

"Religion is the fashionable substitute for belief" Oscar Wilde

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    ... and that on the day most voters choose the candidate they think will benefit the economy.
    Although they only constitute just over half the electorate...

Senior Member Professional Poster AshlynCreamher's Avatar

TheThe Republican Super Delicates will be signing their parties own death certificate if they don't elect Trump as the Republic Nominee

Quote Originally Posted by AshlynCreamher View Post
    TheThe Republican Super Delicates will be signing their parties own death certificate if they don't elect Trump as the Republic Nominee
    And if they don't choose him he will run as an independent anyway. Now there's loyalty for you...

Since writing the post above, indeed a few hours after it I believe, Mr Trump signed 'a pledge' along with other GOP candidates that he will only run as a Republican, although I do not know if this is a legally enforceable pledge. That candidates have to sign a pledge to 'prove' their loyalty begs the question -will they or won't they? If you want to you can read The Guardian's report on this here:
    http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...dent-president

Senior Member Professional Poster peejaye's Avatar

If I may be "blunt" ; The world would be a lot better safer place if he were 6 foot below ground!
    I tried watching "The Apprentice USA" once, I've never been so irritated in all my life!

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by AshlynCreamher View Post
    At first I believed the exact opposite but now I'm leaning towards agreement. Trump's early success is making some of the GOP power brokers scratching their heads and should he stick around they'll have to make some tough choices

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    At first I believed the exact opposite but now I'm leaning towards agreement. Trump's early success is making some of the GOP power brokers scratching their heads and should he stick around they'll have to make some tough choices
    The more obvious question is how, if selected Trump would fare in the race that matters. That of course depends upon whom the Democrats choose. Trump may look daft from this side of the pond, but compare his statements to the one that the no-hoper Rick Perry made- 'A broken clock is right once a day'. Gor blimey, Guv'nor, have you gawn all Gert and Daisy on us?

The latest poll has Trump vs Hillary dead even but Biden edges Trump by a few points.
    Of course with a full 14 months from the actual election what does it really mean? And a Biden run might not even happen. But the buzz that Trump's given this campaign so early in its cycle is truly extraordinary. I've never seen so much interest in presidential politics, even when Obama came on the seen in 2007