Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Gold Poster holzz's Avatar

Default Re: So what do you Brits make of Trump ?

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    The Constitution mandates we have a presidential election every four years. You saying we should've made an exception and skipped this one? If Hillary wins I'll be laughing while you guys clutch your never endangered sovereignty and ride the Brexit roller coaster.
    no, i didn't say that. but this election is the most hilarious ever held.

Gold Poster

no, America is pretty stupid to have this election. thanks for making the world laugh at you!
    Quote Originally Posted by holzz View Post
    no, i didn't say that. but this election is the most hilarious ever held.
    I'm required to write four words. I'd prefer to just include yours, but ya did say that

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by broncofan; 10-23-2016 at 10:43 PM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Donald Trump's claim that the election has been 'rigged' is based on two arguments: that there were places in Chicago, Cleveland and Philadelphia where in 2012 Obama received 100% of the votes cast, and this is questionable to the point where it doesn't seem possible without external interference; and that 'millions of dead people' have been voting.

Below are some links which demolish this claim, and also show that in Lousiana and Utah Obama in 2012 also received 0 votes in some wards.

What I did not know until this issue came up, is how small some Wards or Precincts in Congressional Districts can be, particularly in inner cities, where there may be just a few hundred voters. In Philadelphia if these contain mostly Black Americans who even more than rural Black Americans tend to vote Democrat, it would have been strange had anyone voted for Romney, although the irony is there are registered Republicans in some of these Wards but on the day they didn't vote the way Trump wanted.

As for Millions being dead, if Trump means that electoral rolls are inaccurate, that is like saying sugar sweetens coffee, everyone knows it, because people die at inconvenient times, and also move so that at any one time a list of occupants in an apartment building in Manhattan or Minneapolis will list people who are no longer there. But did they vote? I don't see how Trump can confirm his claim unless he provides the names of the dead, and in one article I saw which I think I linked a few days ago, the man allegedly dead who rose from his grave was in fact his son with the same name, the appellation 'Jr' having not been noticed by the accusers.

The claim, however, goes right to the heart of the conspiracy theories that so many people -not just Americans- like to think explain why their favoured outcome never happens.

This one is on Obama in Philadelphia-
    http://www.politifact.com/pennsylvan...ial-election-/

This is a more general review-
    http://www.factcheck.org/2016/08/tru...ged-reasoning/

Here in Utah Obama also received 0 votes in some districts-
    http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward...179322261.html

And this gives a detailed breakdown of places in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Texas and Louisiana where either Romney or Obama received 0 votes-
    http://hatthief.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...t-0-votes.html

As they say in Ireland - vote early, vote often

Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Donald Trump has denied the claims made by eleven women that he sexually assaulted them, calling them 'liars' in search of '10 minutes of fame' or put up to it by the Clinton campaign. On one level, Donald Trump deserves to be taken at his word, on another level the critical issue is corroboration, or it is just a matter of 'she said, he said' and the potential for mischief-making is strong if in a Presidential campaign the candidates choose to 'fight dirty'.

In the article linked below, which is primarily concerned with the litigation between Rolling Stone and the University of Virginia, the key to unlocking the controversy is precisely corroboration, or the lack of it as the journalist for the magazine is accused of not doing proper research to verify the facts of the story from the ('alleged') victim.

But on this basis, with the possible exception of the court case involving Trump and Jeffrey Epstein, the women who have come forward with their stories do have corroborating evidence in the form of friends and colleagues who were told at the time what had happened. So a degree of balance and verifiable facts ought to be the primary interest, whether or not it hurts or defends the reputation of Donald Trump.

The article is here-
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-rolling-stone

Senior Member Professional Poster peejaye's Avatar

Hillarys private e-mails are now being re-investigated with only 10 days till voting commences? Surely Trump is behind this?
    It's too much of a coincidence!

There is no fire without smoke but there is often smoke without fire.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peejaye View Post
    Hillarys private e-mails are now being re-investigated with only 10 days till voting commences? Surely Trump is behind this?
    It's too much of a coincidence!
    If Trump were more connected, maybe. If he were in a position to call in favors, yes. But he's neither. Investigating Hillary is simply a GOP-addiction.

No investigation has ever produced a single offense, criminal, moral or otherwise. The goal is not to find her guilty of anything, but simply to smear her with so much stench, she'll never smell clean. To quote Martin, "There is no fire without smoke but there is often smoke without fire." It applies to all the smoke around Hillary's emails as well as to the accusation that Trump has enough pull to restart this investigation. James Comey (and those who have his ear) is the chief ass-hole here.

For those who like to imply the Democrats are rigging the system, I remind you that Comey was an Obama appointee.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Don't hear much about Whitewater these days. Statute of limitations run out?

Butbutbutbut.... EMAIL!!!

Guess Bengazi petered out too, huh?

Butbutbutbut.... EMAIL!!!

What a joke...

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    James Comey (and those who have his ear) is the chief ass-hole here.
    Well put. You're right to brush aside any suggestion of conspiracy or Trump pulling the strings (as well as to point out that Obama has not been partisan in making appointments or Comey would not be where he is).

But I wonder if it's possible that Comey broke because of all of the attacks on him by Trump supporters. Was this a devious act by him or capitulation? Maybe Comey is part-partisan hack and part coward.