President of Russia Veteran Poster Vladimir Putin's Avatar

Default Halloween company creates a "Call Me Caitlyn" costume, sparking outrage.

New York Daily News, Tuesday, August 25, 2015, 11am EDT

CAITLYN JENNER COSTUME SPARKS OUTRAGE AFTER GOING UP FOR SALE ONLINE, PROMISING "LAUGHS": "THIS IS SO FREAKING MEAN"

By MELISSA CHAN, New York Daily News

Call them clueless.

A major Halloween retailer has come under fire for its plans to sell a Caitlyn Jenner costume — and at least one take on the insensitive "Call Me Caitlyn" getup has already hit the Internet.

The ensemble, which promises "a few laughs out of your friends," features the padded version of the white corset Jenner dons in her glamorous "Vanity Fair" reveal, as well as a "Call Me Caitlyn" pageant sash and brunette wig.

It comes after the Daily News first reported last week that national chain Spirit Halloween will carry Caitlyn Jenner costumes to "celebrate" the 65-year-old former Olympian.

You probably won't break any Twitter records when you wear this outfit like Caitlyn did when she first made her account, but you'll be sure to get a few laughs out of your friends and the other guests at the get together," reads one seller's description of the outfit.

It's going for $74.99 on anytimecostume.com and $49.90 on wholesalehalloweencostumes.com.

Social media users blasted the offensive and unisex costume, which online retailers "guaranteed" would be a "show stopper."

"This is so freaking mean and cruel," fan Kellie Knapp wrote on Twitter. "Cait is courageous and beautiful and yes even a role model. How dare people."

"Caitlyn Jenner costume? Really? How more insulting, rude and disrespectful can this get?" Twitter user Roni Vega said.

Another supporter started a change.org petition to get Spirit Halloween to revoke its production of the costume. It has been signed so far by nearly 2,000 people.

"Caitlyn Jenner is a hero and celebrated in modern day culture, but that doesn't excuse the exploitation and transphobia you'll be committing this Halloween," the petition reads.

"To make a costume out of a marginalized identity reduces that person and community to a stereotype for privileged people to abuse."

It's unclear if Spirit Halloween is behind the "Call Me Caitlyn" corset costumes making the rounds online.

The company did not immediately return requests for comment.

Its spokeswoman Trisha Lombardo said last week Jenner "has proven to be the most important real-life superhero of the year."

"Spirit Halloween is proud to carry the costume that celebrates her," Lombardo said at the time.

The merchandise was slated to hit shelves in four to six weeks after company insiders debated whether it was appropriate, sources told the News.

Spirit Halloween received backlash last year when it sold "Slenderman" outfits in reference to the character that inspired two troubled adolescents to brutally murder a friend in May of that year.

Copyright © 2015 New York Daily News. All rights reserved.

(Wholesalehalloweencostumes.com) The "Call Me Caitlyn" costume has hit the Internet for about $75 and has sparked outrage.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Verified account Silver Poster Ben in LA's Avatar

Default Re: Halloween company creates a "Call Me Caitlyn" costume, sparking outrage.

Surprised no one called me out on my signature picture...

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Default Re: Halloween company creates a "Call Me Caitlyn" costume, sparking outrage.

It's Halloween. Who cares.

4 out of 4 members liked this post.

Senior Member Professional Poster

Well now!

I <3 Boobs + Blowjobs Platinum Poster RallyCola's Avatar

I've dressed up as Jesus with a doll strapped to my junk, saddam hussein and Conrad Murry dragging around a dead Jacko doll with needles in it. Caitlyn is in pop culture...it's all good.