Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default If you can change your gender, can you change your 'race'? The case of Rachel Dolesal

This story has been in the news in the last two days and begs the question, why do people think the word 'race' has any meaning? An American academic, Rachel Dolezal, has stated in public
    "I actually don't like the term African-American. I prefer black, and I would say that if I was asked I would definitely say that yes I do consider myself to be black."
    But she was born to 'white parents' -whom she has disowned- and seems uninterested in the distinctions that people make when referring to 'Black' and 'White' even though to most people these distinctions are obvious, not least when the Black person is lying dead on the ground and a White police officer is standing over him, or her.

Race as a concept is entirely bogus, but colour prejudice is not. One is a pseudo-philosophical waste of time, the other is a real mode of distinction with its own inherent problems- and possibilities.

I don't know if it is just some, or the majority of transexuals who would dispute the term 'changing gender' and say they are 'correcting' it. It may be possible to be a woman born in a man's body, but is it possible to be a Black person born in a white body?

And anyway, if we all originated from Africa doesn't that mean we are all Africans?

The quote above can be found here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-American.html

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Default Re: If you can change your gender, can you change your 'race'? The case of Rachel Dol

I know parents get really pissed when their kids never call but for these people to have outed their own child out of hateful spite was very sad. For me that's the most interesting aspect of this weird story.
    People can be such scumbags

0 out of 3 members liked this post.

Member Rookie Poster

Default Re: If you can change your gender, can you change your 'race'? The case of Rachel Dol

yes. it is possible because reincarnation is real and we know that it is real.. I actually think that this story is very interesting and even tho she lied and appears to have emotional issues it is important to the world to realize that the body and the soul are actually not the same.

0 out of 3 members liked this post.

You can identify with a culture but it doesn't change your DNA...yes, race doesn't really matter...unless you lie about it to receive a special privilege. In that case you're just a con artist.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Forget it (my original post)
    ...I plan to enjoy the weekend!

Last edited by MrFanti; 06-13-2015 at 06:54 PM.
    "I am, a SIGMA Male...

BTW...the woman in question seems to be a pathological liar who fabricated not only her background, but nonexisting crimes committed against her. I fail to see any type of discussion to be had here.

4 out of 4 members liked this post.

Junior Poster

it was discussed on Newsnight on BBC and also CNN. The latter show's panellists believed she may have some kind of mental disorder to go over the top and pretend she is something she is not. She lied in the job selection, tanned her skin used make up and of course black hair extentions and braids. She was giving advice on the recent controversial police shootings, saying whites should not take a lead in the campaigns, it should be left to blacks because they know what it is like. She commented on the film 'Ten years a slave' telling black viewers to sit at the back rows away from the whites watching who would be looking at them to see 'black reaction' etc to get over thier guilt complex etc. She had strong views on black hair and why wearing it natural is important culturally and politically etc. The panellists said she had made valid points but she could still have made them as a white woman, and it may make others from the wider 'white community' to wise up and see things the way she explained. I recall Malcolm X famously say (sic) 'the place for whites who support us, is not with the black victims, but organising against the demagogues and those seeking to maintain the status quo in their own community'

My only quiery is how did she fool so many blacks that she was black? Didnt anyone notice but didnt say? or were not believed? I recall Spike Lee saying the controversial film 'Soul Man' was patronising because it assumed blacks would not be able to tell the main character played by C. Thomas Howell was a white guy in modern day blackface make up.

Last edited by NRT; 06-13-2015 at 07:20 PM.

Junior Poster

Is she the 'Lance Armstrong' of race, diversity equality campaigning?

Maybe she was trying to recreate what John Howard Griffin did in his groundbreaking book
    'Black like me' 1961

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Like_Me

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-c...543463/?no-ist

Then again her hero could be of course Alex Haley:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-journal...of-literature/

Member Rookie Poster

it is being realized that her black adopted sibings as well as her were the subject of much abuse from her parents.. it could explain alot.. also.. it is showing the world that culture is for the most part just DRAG!. ultimatley we are all one people. it seems that lesson is coming at humanity now and it is time that it is received..

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    BTW...the woman in question seems to be a pathological liar who fabricated not only her background, but nonexisting crimes committed against her. I fail to see any type of discussion to be had here.
    Exactly!
    Which is why I have no issues with what her parents did.

"I am, a SIGMA Male...