Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: HBO's The Wire

Still Here 5 Star Poster

New season, great stuff.

Rookie Poster

Default The Wire

For me the wire is a reason to believe in TV again. I was hook from season 1. It gives you perspective on the day to day life of the police and criminals.

If I knew then what i know now. Experience is a good teacher.

Veteran Poster

The Wire is one of my favorite shows right now. Really good show indeed

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

*Out of respect for the women here I've officially retired the 2nd half of my signature*

Professional Poster

How creepy was it when Snoop and that guy were putting the body in the abandoned row house and all they had the little lantern for lighting?

Damn, this season is going to be good!

No bodies indeed....

Shush girl, shut your lips
    Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips

I love the way each season takes a whole different direction.

Rookie Poster

I'm a fan of both The Wire and The Shield. I can never decide which is better.

This new season of Wire is shaping up to be terrific. Every season has been better than the last.

No good friends. No bad friends. Only people you want, need to be with; people who build their houses in your heart.

Srsly...WTF.

September 12, 2006
    HBO Renews, Cancels Low-Rated 'The Wire'
    By James Hibberd
    With critical acclaim for "The Wire" at a fever pitch, HBO has renewed—and canceled—the gritty Baltimore drama, a network spokeswoman confirmed Tuesday.

Story continues below...

The network has ordered a fifth and final season of the show, the spokeswoman said.

The renewal comes despite an extremely weak debut for the show's fourth season. Sunday's premiere was seen by about 1.5 million viewers, according to Nielsen Media Research. That figure is down from last year's premiere, which was seen by 1.8 million viewers.

Such figures are very low for an HBO drama. This summer's third season premiere of the recently canceled series "Deadwood" was seen by 2.4 million viewers.

But critical response to "The Wire" preview DVDs has been extraordinary, even by HBO standards. Unconventional critics ranging from author Stephen King to comic Patton Oswalt have declared the show the best series on television.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10735

Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by kukm4
    Srsly...WTF.

September 12, 2006
    HBO Renews, Cancels Low-Rated 'The Wire'
    By James Hibberd
    With critical acclaim for "The Wire" at a fever pitch, HBO has renewed—and canceled—the gritty Baltimore drama, a network spokeswoman confirmed Tuesday.

Story continues below...

The network has ordered a fifth and final season of the show, the spokeswoman said.

The renewal comes despite an extremely weak debut for the show's fourth season. Sunday's premiere was seen by about 1.5 million viewers, according to Nielsen Media Research. That figure is down from last year's premiere, which was seen by 1.8 million viewers.

Such figures are very low for an HBO drama. This summer's third season premiere of the recently canceled series "Deadwood" was seen by 2.4 million viewers.

But critical response to "The Wire" preview DVDs has been extraordinary, even by HBO standards. Unconventional critics ranging from author Stephen King to comic Patton Oswalt have declared the show the best series on television.

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10735
    That's a misleading article. You have to read in between the lines (and already know that they've greenlit Season 5).

David Simon said in an interview earlier this year that he only wants to do one more season beyond the fourth season, taking the ongoing story into the media around Baltimore and Maryland. That's how he wants to finish the story.

Soooo, HBO renewed The Wire for a 5th--and final--Season. (that's the "cancellation," I think) But Simon's getting to end the story the way he pleases, which elates me to no end.

No good friends. No bad friends. Only people you want, need to be with; people who build their houses in your heart.

Professional Poster

It's on....

Shush girl, shut your lips
    Do the Helen Keller and talk with your hips

Rookie Poster

Every episode is better than the one before it. The new episode "Homeroom" is excellent. What an ending! I'm salivating for more.