Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rookie Poster

Default Re: Would you pay $100 to see the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight on Pay-Per-Vi

big fat N-O

President of Russia Veteran Poster Vladimir Putin's Avatar

Default Re: Would you pay $100 to see the Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight on Pay-Per-Vi

My biggest concern is paying the $100 and the fight ends in a KO during Round 1.

Anybody remember the Muhammad Ali-Duane Bobbick fight in the late 1970s?

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Putin View Post
    My biggest concern is paying the $100 and the fight ends in a KO during Round 1.

Anybody remember the Muhammad Ali-Duane Bobbick fight in the late 1970s?
    Muhammad Ali did not fight Bobick, that was Ken Norton who beat him in the first round in 1977, officially the fight lasted 58 seconds.
    I was going to add something about Boxing's historic links to organised crime, the criminal records of Sonny Liston and Don King-to name just two nasty individuals- and shameful moments like the 'Rumble in the Jungle' where the two boxers fought in a ring in a stadium under which the President of Zaire, Joseph Mobutu imprisoned without trial opponents of his regime, having stolen money from the population -some of the poorest people in the world- to pay the boxers -but it probably isn't worth the effort. I think boxing stinks, it is not a sport.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Muhammad Ali did not fight Bobick, that was Ken Norton who beat him in the first round in 1977, officially the fight lasted 58 seconds.
    I was going to add something about Boxing's historic links to organised crime, the criminal records of Sonny Liston and Don King-to name just two nasty individuals- and shameful moments like the 'Rumble in the Jungle' where the two boxers fought in a ring in a stadium under which the President of Zaire, Joseph Mobutu imprisoned without trial opponents of his regime, having stolen money from the population -some of the poorest people in the world- to pay the boxers -but it probably isn't worth the effort. I think boxing stinks, it is not a sport.
    Boxing isn't a sport? Do explain?

President of Russia Veteran Poster Vladimir Putin's Avatar

That's right it was Ken Norton. My memory is not so good!

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    I agree with some of what you said but not everything…however I don't want to argue. But I thought of you when I read this article. An interesting piece about one journalist's futile attempts to get Las Vegas police (and the prosecutor) to release evidence of Floyd Mayweather's abuse of women. Often fighters are the victims of corruption in boxing, but when it comes to making sure a city gets the economic benefits that come from big money fights, they will run interference to ensure repeat business.

http://deadspin.com/this-is-how-las-...her-1699848463

Quote Originally Posted by dreamon View Post
    Boxing isn't a sport? Do explain?
    Let's be honest, because of the sums of money involved, most sports are prone to corruption -soccer is ruled by the global 'charity' called FIFA, an organisation so corrupt when you read the details your eyes bleed -how else did FIFA award the World Cup to Qatar if not for the bribes? Horse Racing has been so mired in dirty business few except gambling addicts bet on anything other than the major classics because they assume the small races are fixed. Money laundering is the key to much of this corruption, in horse racing and boxing, Kevin Mitchell's book 'Jacob's Beach' documents the extent to which Boxing became part of organised crime in the US at least until the late 1950s when it took on the law and the law won. Since then any number of decisions in major fights has been questioned, because unlike in games where the result is an obvious score and the only controversy is on whether or not a line call was right or on a disallowed goal or penalty decision, boxing results are decided by judges awarding points which are, as happened last night, called into question by experts who say they got it wrong. Sport is also about attitude, and playing fair which is why you don't hear one tennis player verbally abusing his -or her- opponent during a match. Football players do it routinely, but it is not considered sportsmanlike behaviour, yet when Ali vebally abused an opponent during a match it becomes part of 'boxing folk-lore'. In some parts of town you can stand outside a bar and watch two men knocking seven bells out of each other, and it isn't sport. Put them in a ring with gloves on and it's a sport. How many international bodies are there to decide who is a World Champion? Why did Pacquio get a smaller fee than Mayweather? Can you imagine Roger Federer getting beaten by Tony Nomark at the US Open but Federer gets more prize money? And so on.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    But I thought of you when I read this article.

http://deadspin.com/this-is-how-las-...her-1699848463
    Not sure what to say, a lot of sportsmen beat up their wives, it is up to the law in Nevada to deal with it.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

So if boxing were organized differently it would be a sport? It has all of the athletic qualities required of a sport and a set of rules that are enforced by the officials; this is the case despite scurrilous accusations that fights are fixed every time somebody's favorite fighter loses a close decision. It can't be helped if the scoring has a subjective component, as many Olympic sports do as well.

As for prize money, there are plenty of sports that pay money as a reward for past performance (really as a prediction of future performance based on past results). In team sports, players sign contracts that are not contingent upon their individual or team success. A boxer is not paid based on whether he wins or loses in the present fight, but if he's lost all his previous fights he won't be paid much.

With regards to sportsmanship, there were plenty of people who thought Ali showed poor sportsmanship throughout his career and he was actually accused of racism for comments he made about Joe Frazier, and cruelty for his behavior in the Ernie Terrell "say my name" fight. Meanwhile, when Jimmy Connors called a referee an abortion during the 1991 U.S. Open it was the fact that an old man got to the semifinals that warranted everyone's attention. John McEnroe spent two decades berating referees and the only grand slam he was disqualified from was the Australian Open for telling an umpire to go fuck his mother in front of the tournament director. It took quite a lot for the powers that be in tennis to do anything about the bad behavior of their prima donnas. Yet there have been plenty of boxers who did have excellent sportsmanship. Max Schmelling? Joe Louis? Wladimir Klistchko?

I also don't understand what boxing's past ties to the mob say about the current crop of fighters? If they are getting in the ring and competing under a recognized set of rules then why should they carry the stigma of Frankie Carbo and Blinky Palermo or any other mafioso who held sway over the sport in past decades? Anyhow, I thought you were going to argue that boxing presents a fairly unique set of neurological risks or that combat sports are the only sports that involve intention to harm as the ultimate objective. I am only convinced you have various reasons not to like boxing…but fail to see how that makes it less of a sport.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Anyhow, as a postscript to the fight, it was not an exciting match. It wasn't particularly close either. Mayweather was able to attack when he wanted to and avoid Pacquiao when he wanted to as well. He landed nearly twice as many punches and landed them more cleanly. All around it was a disappointing night for Pacquiao fans and for those who wanted to see a bit more drama.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.