Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Default Re: Raise Your Hand if You Take TRUVADA! BE PROUD!

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Westheangelino View Post

"one day on PrEP led to a 75 to 91 risk reduction, three days meant a 95 to 97 percent risk reduction, and five and seven days translated to a 98 to 99 percent risk reduction."

Do you like those odds? So every time you have sex you're talking up to 2% chance of catching HIV? Too risky for me.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GroobySteven View Post
    "one day on PrEP led to a 75 to 91 risk reduction, three days meant a 95 to 97 percent risk reduction, and five and seven days translated to a 98 to 99 percent risk reduction."

Do you like those odds? So every time you have sex you're talking up to 2% chance of catching HIV? Too risky for me.
    Actually, that is an excellent number. Don't go and look up the odds for other things, you will lose sleep. The medical field never likes to use the number a 100%. Truvada is used to treat HIV, in fact people who use Truvada and few other drugs can get their virus count down till their virus load is undetectable and is almost impossible (pretty much impossible) to give someone HIV. A lot of people are against the drug, but what concerns me is that some people who are against the drug still engage in high risk behaviors any ways. I think condom and prep is a good combo. Prep of course takes time to build. Now what I am waiting to see is how the drug affects people over a period of time. There have been numerous cases of people have liver trouble over 5-10 years of using Truvada and I am sure it will hold true in this case.

Like I said Truvada is not a new drug, it is just being used in a new application. Nor will it prevent you from getting other STD's. I have to admit the early studies have been very promising, but again its the early studies. So as usual time will tell. I won't knock its effectives, because it has proven in the pass to be effective.

Still your sexual health begins and ends with you. So for those who occasionally engage in high risk behavior or think that topping is safe enough, because their partner doesn't do drugs or other things. I would heavily recommend using this in conjunction of seeking safer sex practices. The rates for HIV among transgender is rising and Truvada with condoms can be a great help.

West before you say condoms are bad. The reality of the fact is that people are more engaged in having unprotected sex then they were before especially since the horrors of HIV when in the 80's is in the past. With better medicine and health, HIV is not looked upon as a death threat in many people's eyes. Still people engage in high risk behavior and changing attitudes have lead to increase to an incurable disease. Yes people find bareback sex to be enjoyable, and many people engage in it, however Truvada use will not end HIV alone and their other stds that are becoming more difficult to cure as antibiotic resistant strains are becoming more common.

Senior Member Silver Poster MrFanti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Westheangelino View Post
    BOOM
    Lifetime of herpes flare-ups?

"I am, a SIGMA Male...

Exclamation Re: Raise Your Hand if You Take TRUVADA! BE PROUD!

"Incurable" gonorrhea hits North American shores"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/incurabl...erican-shores/

At least nine Canadian patients have contracted a strain of "incurable" gonorrhea, according to a study released on Jan. 7 in the Journal of the American Medical Association.
    Researchers found that nine of the 133 patients with gonorrhea who were treated at a Toronto clinic still had the disease after being treated with the oral antibiotic cephalosporins. This marks the first time that cephalosporin-resistant gonorrhea has been found on the continent.
    "We've heard of such cases in Asia and Europe. Now it's happening in North America," Dr. Robert Kirkcaldy, medical epidemiologist in the Division of STD Prevention at CDC's National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention, said to NPR. "It's very concerning."
    Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted infection caused by the Neisseria gonorrhoeae bacteria. It can be spread through contact with the mouth, vagina, penis or anus and thrives in warm, moist areas of the body.
    Symptoms in men include burning and pain while urinating, increased urinary frequency or urgency, penis discharge, red or swollen opening of the penis, tender or swollen testicles and/or a sore throat. Women experience vaginal discharge, burning and pain while urinating, increased urination, sore throat, painful sexual intercourse, pain in the lower abdomen and fever. Arthritis-like symptoms and rashes can occur if the infection has spread in to the blood stream.
    Health care providers in the U.S. are required by law to tell the State Board of Health about anyone they have found that has contracted the bacteria so the patients can get the proper follow-up care and alert their sexual partners. However, out of the more than 700,000 people in the United States who get new gonorrhea infections each year, less than half of these infections are reported to CDC.
    The cephalosporins-resistant strain has been going around globally. In June 2012, the World Health Organization warned doctors about the potential problem, and urged medical professionals to keep a closer eye on the disease. They felt that in a couple of years gonorrhea could potentially be resistant to all treatment currently available.

However, all nine patients in the study were eventually cured. Six were treated with an injectable antibiotic called ceftriaxone and the last three had to take twice the usual dose of cephalosporins. This led some scientists to question if the latter really had the cephalosporin-resistant strain, the CBC reported.
    Lead author Dr. Vanessa Allen, a medical microbiologist and infectious diseases consultant with Public Health Ontario, told NPR that the takeaway still remains that people should be cautious about antibiotic overuse.
    "We need to rethink our strategy of antibiotic use," Allen said. "We don't have luxury of just switching to another antibiotic (for gonorrhea)."

"Incurable" gonorrhea hits North American shores"

Incurable Gonorrhea Threat Forces Drug Change

Shot Now Needed to Cure Common Sexually Transmitted Disease
    WebMD News Archive

Aug. 10, 2012 -- Gonorrhea just got a little more painful to treat -- but at least it's still treatable.
    For now, at least. The common sexually transmitted disease has become resistant to all but one class of antibiotic: the cephalosporins. An alarming worldwide rise in resistance even to these last-ditch drugs raises the specter of untreatable gonorrhea.
    To buy time, the CDC this week changed a recommended U.S. treatment. Instead of getting a single Suprax (cefixime) pill, patients now should be treated with a shot of ceftriaxone antibiotic and one of two oral antibiotics (azithromycin or doxycycline).
    That's not all. Patients now should return to their health care provider a week later to make sure they're cured. Anyone still infected likely carries drug-resistant gonorrhea and needs further treatment.
    "This change is a critical preemptive strike to preserve ... our last proven treatment option," said Kevin Fenton, MD, director of the CDC's National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention. "Changing how we treat infections now may buy the time needed to develop new treatment options."

Gonorrhea can very quickly become resistant to antibiotics. In the last decade alone, the bug became resistant to the fluoroquinolone antibiotics that used to cure the disease.
    When that happened, the CDC first saw resistant gonorrhea in the western U.S. among gay and bisexual men. Ominously, that same pattern now is being seen for cephalosporins.
    About 700,000 Americans carry gonorrhea bacteria. Fewer than half of them know it. Although many men and women have symptoms -- discharge and/or a burning sensation during urination -- many do not. That's why sexually active gay and bisexual men and at-risk women should be tested for gonorrhea (and other STDs) at least once a year.
    To avoid gonorrhea:

• Abstain from sex.
    • Have sex only with one partner -- a partner that has sex only with you.
    • Correctly use condoms every time you have sex.

If you do have gonorrhea symptoms, get treated right away. And a week after treatment, get tested to make sure of a cure.
    Slideshow: Pictures and Facts About STDs

http://www.webmd.com/sexual-conditio...es-drug-change

Quote Originally Posted by MrFanti View Post
    Lifetime of herpes flare-ups?
    Condoms are not an effective barrier against Herpes infection. Also, 1 in 6 adults in the USA have it. It's not that big a deal. http://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/stdfact-herpes.htm

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisfiction View Post
    Actually, that is an excellent number. Don't go and look up the odds for other things, you will lose sleep. The medical field never likes to use the number a 100%.
    A fair point, but on "other things" you generally don't have a choice. With HIV you can decide whether to protect yourself more, or risk up to 1:50 chance of getting HIV (given other factors are there) by relying just on that. If Wes is happy enough to take those risks, then I respect that as his preference. No sexual contact is without risks and we all have to decide based on the best current evidence for our own risk factors. What I dislike is his evangelism of this drug, which is why I counter his blind faith.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

If the probability of HIV transfer, using a PrEP, on a single exposure is 0.02, then the probability of no transfer is 0.98. The probability of no transference during a run of 52 exposures is 0.98 to the 52nd power; i.e. approximately 0.35. So if you are exposed once a week for a year there is a 65% chance of acquiring the virus by year's end.
    This was all hashed over before in prior threads. More detail here http://www.hungangels.com/vboard/sho...=1#post1548890

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

Even with statistics, the medical field gets weird. I was surprise to find that there has only been 3 confirmed cases of HIV transfer by oral during . Even the circumstances surrounded them is sort of weird and questionable. Doctors like statistics, but you have to look what happens in the real world. (Scientist believe there is something in the saliva that inhibits HIV.)

Now there is something to be aware of with Truvada. If you do not wait till the full dosage and fail to maintain the daily dosage and if you contract HIV, then Truvada will not be part of your drug regime at all. The virus will be immune to its effects

If what I read is correct, then the numbers under Truvada at full dosage would pretty close to 100%. They won't say 100%, because of the fear of anomalies. It was shocking to see people fail to maintain the daily dosage.

I believe the drug is very effective and is probably and excellent protection against HIV. The concern I have is the side effects. I don't think people understand how much problems it cause to people using the drug, Liver damage and other related liver problems is really problematic. I am talking about after 5 years of use. Most people won't see the side effects now, but when it hits, it can be pretty bad. And how do we know, because HIV+ patients who take the drug suffer from it. So only time will tell to what the side effects will look.

And again there are things to worry about besides HIV, there are many of STDs. Still I urge people to use something. Its better than nothing. I mean with all this information its sad the HIV rate is rising. Especially in the transgender community. Makes not sense.

And Steven, I agree the way he is preaching Truvada, he talks about it as gospel. Its all fun and games till it burns when you piss.