Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Default Re: Raise Your Hand if You Take TRUVADA! BE PROUD!

So 14% of men still contracted HIV after using it during unprotected sex? So that between 1-2 in 10. Those odds are way way too high for me to gamble with. The report also never stated what other STD's the other 86% contacted during that time?

Do those stats make you comfortable having unprotected sex with people who's status you are unaware of? That's a yes or no, answer? Please?

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Actually I just re-read the stats again - so before you come back with it, let me just check.

So in the second group 2 men out of the group taking the drug contracted HIV - so that was 2 out of 272, giving a 1:135% chance? Is that right. Still too risky for me. The US study showed 2 in 200, so a 1:100 chance of contacting HIV.

So my original questions stands, those odds are good for you? What about other STD's?

^ That is GREAT for me. Those men were only taking the drug 4 times a week as opposed to every single day. In studies with serodiscordant partners (one poz one neg) NO ONE contracted HIV. There are still 50k new HIV infections in the USA every year. Two thirds are men who have sex with men. Obviously, I am not calling Tgirls men, but it's the same category and risk group. A condom only strategy DOESN'T WORK.

STD's are endemic in this population as well. I don't have a good answer for you, except I am willing to accept being treated multiple times for STD's in my lifetime.

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

Veteran Poster

Would taking Truvada help? Yes probably, but you are here preaching it like it is the end all cure for HIV wich it is not let alone other STD's. Quite frankly I find your posts quite disgusting and offensive

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

Your going to waste your time, arguing with Wes and furthermore you should always be prudent about your health and really speak to more than one person in the medical field and do your own research. What Wes hasn't told people is that the groups that are being studied in most studies are considered high risk groups due to the fact that as a whole the groups tend to engage regularly in unprotected sex and sex that will be more likely for someone to obtain HIV. So its just not men who have sex with men, but men who purposely/knowingly have unprotected sex regularly.

Can you blame Wes, he has been given a drug he believes will give him the sexual freedom he has long been seeking. I mean who wouldn't want a drug capable of stopping HIV. The reality, its not a hundred percent and they are still trying to discover how effective it really is under various circumstances. It might prove to be as good as they say it is, but one thing for sure I rather they work out the kinks and actually have a full understanding of how it works. And that is why they need people like Wes participating in a study. They will truly test the effectiveness of the drug.

Here is thing, am I surprised that at the number of effectiveness in the article, no [I actually read that study a long while back]. The drug Truvada has been used to treat HIV. Meaning some people who have HIV take Truvada to fight HIV. In fact the other drug by Gilead, both used in the treatment of HIV is now up for approval by the FDA for Prep use as well. Truvada has also been used in post exposure treatment as a way to help a person who had a high exposure experience (unprotected one night stand) stop HIV from getting a foothold. In fact, the body actually fights HIV, it is when the number present in the body is high that you are pretty much in trouble.

Sexual health does not only mean HIV it incorporates other stds that can cause serious problems. While many focus on HIV, not many realize a person who has a std may not exhibit symptoms and think their health is fine. Just because you feel fine, doesn't mean you are fine. Leading to other complications. HIV loves to work in conjunction with other stds and Truvada does not prevent them. In fact, one of the growing stds while curable is not something many people are aware of and is growing among msm (men who have sex with men) is syphilis. Its a disease you can have it for a long time before it becomes active causing some serious problems.

You yourself have to be prudent about your health and the risks you are willing to take. A person who exercise care in their sexual health has a good chance of enjoying many good years of sex. Truvada is a drug if used in the proper context can help extend your sexual experience. However it is for you decide what activities might needed the added protection in case of things going bad. I think Truvada can be very helpful, but it only helps protect (not stop) against one thing.

I want everyone to be able to share their stories of the sexual experiences for years to come.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

President of Russia Veteran Poster Vladimir Putin's Avatar

Even if you take Truvada, you're still urged to take safe sex precautions, like using a condom in addition. Truvada is not a stand-alone substitute for wrapping it up. Whether you take Truvada or not, you're still a fool if you take it up the ass unprotected or giving it to someone up the ass unprotected.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Putin View Post
    Even if you take Truvada, you're still urged to take safe sex precautions, like using a condom in addition. Truvada is not a stand-alone substitute for wrapping it up. Whether you take Truvada or not, you're still a fool if you take it up the ass unprotected or giving it to someone up the ass unprotected.

So, what would you say to those serodiscordant couples who do that on a routine basis?

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Westheangelino View Post
    STD's are endemic in this population as well. I don't have a good answer for you, except I am willing to accept being treated multiple times for STD's in my lifetime.
    That just about says it all.
    Done with this shit!

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    That just about says it all.
    Done with this shit!
    As though contracting an STD is some rare and horrific thing that happens to only the most promiscuous barebackers? What reality are you living in, sir?

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Westheangelino View Post
    As though contracting an STD is some rare and horrific thing that happens to only the most promiscuous barebackers? What reality are you living in, sir?
    Way to miss the point, genius!

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!