Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Default Re: Raise Your Hand if You Take TRUVADA! BE PROUD!

So you're promoting the use of a drug which you have no idea how much it costs?

As to your last statement, it may well be more effective than condoms in preventing HIV transmission but you are still ignoring the fact that it is COMLETELY USELESS at preventing the spread of any other STD, some of which are just as nasty as HIV.

Your stance is therefore totally irresponsible.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Westheangelino View Post
    Clearly you're ignorant of the whole subject if you ask that question. Truvada has been used to treat HIV pos people people for a decade. It keeps the virus from copying itself. The drug works in neg people by preventing the virus from copying in the first place. Why the fuck would I be in a trial for something that has been prescribed to poz people for TEN YEARS if I was poz???????!!!!! GET A CLUE PLEASE.

And to clearly answer your question, I like the majority of sexually active people in a a high risk group do not consistently use condoms when getting fucked. Don't act like I'm some weird pariah for saying this. If I was some crazy outlier, we wouldn't have 50k+ new infections each year in the USA alone. IT IS MORE EFFECTIVE THAN CONDOMS IN THE REAL WORLD.
    Yes, I am ignorant and that's why I asked the question - so get off your high horse, or just get the fuck out.

You stated it's MORE EFFECTIVE THAN CONDOMS? So you're saying that you are confident that you are not going to get infected by taking positive loads anally, if you take this drug? I'm not talking about the "majority of sexually active people", I'm asking about you specifically and this drug.

You've also not answered the other questions about other STD's.

Newish Veteran Poster

To shed some much needed light:

(along with phosphate supplements for bone and kidney health....which I have never taken)

Not smart, Wes, but not surprising.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Newish Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post

Your stance is therefore totally irresponsible.
    Agreed. And proven in his last (and now abandoned) thread.

"Wishing it were so" is, IMO, the most dangerous of the scientific fallacies, especially combined with blind zealotry.

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

Why are folks arguing with Wes about it. We have threads arguing about it. It sounds like the test is blind, where they ask a high risk group about participating in the drug effectiveness. But I would like know more of the study and since its by UCLA, I might just call them and ask about the study. Easiest way to understand what they are doing. I am not going to be hard on Wes, because I was thinking about it and from my experience there is a lot of hush, hush barebacking that does go on. I use get tired of being asked about it or girls rubbing their ass with my dicks saying its ok. And with the HIV rate among transgender in NY, well someone is doing something. Even more so people believe if you are topping well you can't get HIV? Look, I think condoms are just fine, but for some reason of late people don't really care to use condoms. Is truvada a great drug, I don't think so, but so far in the studies besides the New York times it seems to have some sort of effectiveness. Its better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by GroobySteven View Post
    Yes, I am ignorant and that's why I asked the question - so get off your high horse, or just get the fuck out.

You stated it's MORE EFFECTIVE THAN CONDOMS? So you're saying that you are confident that you are not going to get infected by taking positive loads anally, if you take this drug? I'm not talking about the "majority of sexually active people", I'm asking about you specifically and this drug.

You've also not answered the other questions about other STD's.
    Highly confident. Please read through my first thread about this. There are over a dozen links to studies or news articles.

As for not taking the phosphates, someone said that is not smart, but it is voluntary in my study. Some very few people experience kidney issues with this drug. I have had none and am tested for such problems every time I go in to the clinic. Should my levels become low, I'll start taking them. But currently I either just don't react negatively to the drug, or my diet is already sufficient to counteract any ill effects on my kidneys.

There is a HUGE stigma about barebacking, but it happens MOST of the time. Yes, MOST. Survey after survey among both gay and straight folk show that condoms are NOT used a majority of the time. If you don't believe me, please look at stats regarding unwanted pregnancies and new HIV transmission. Everyone says they would never, but I know this firsthand to be bullshit. I have zero shame of my desires in the past as I knew the risk and got tested very regularly and routinely. Now I have no shame AND no anxiety. And guess what? My promiscuity hasn't increased since being on the drug. If anything I'm a little more choosy, and several of my partners have opted for condoms.

As for taking POZ loads, before taking this drug I would NEVER have considered taking a load or even having protected sex with someone who told me they were POZ. Today, I would.

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

As for other STD's:

Truvada has been shown to reduce herpes infection rates by 30% http://www.hivplusmag.com/prevention...nfection-rates.

Condoms on the other hand are basically useless against herpes or HPV: http://www.sfgate.com/health/article...es-3650285.php

I'm not worried about other STD's. Truly, I'm not.

0 out of 3 members liked this post.

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

I'm not worried about other STD's. Truly, I'm not.
    Then, I have to agree with lifesfiction, it's pointless arguing with you.

Wes, in the end it's your life and your choice, but you really are a TOTAL MUPPET.

Last edited by Laphroaig; 05-04-2015 at 10:34 AM.

http://www.healthline.com/health-new...-needed-022415

^Pretty sobering article for the anti-Truvada crowd. Reposting here since the admins of this forum are cool with a million threads of the same ridiculous subjects like "am I gay??" or "how to bottom", but aren't cool with multiple threads about something that has the power to end a health crisis that threatens this community more than any other in America.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

http://www.healthline.com/health-new...-needed-022415

^Pretty sobering article for the anti-Truvada crowd. Reposting here since the admins of this forum are cool with a million threads of the same ridiculous subjects like "am I gay??" or "how to bottom", but aren't cool with multiple threads about something that has the power to end a health crisis that threatens this community more than any other in America.

I'm just not cool about you, I think you're a tit. You don't answer questions when directed at you - yet you freely publicize something as an evangelist. They can contact me for advertising rates if they want.