Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Shopping

Senior Member Junior Poster

Default Camera Shopping

Hey everyone...

My girlfriend has been wanting to get into photography for a while, both for taking outdoor photos as well as indoor (or even bedroom) shots. I've had the Canon EOS Rebel T5 recommended as an entry-level camera. I'd love to hear input from photographers, enthusiasts, or anyone with general expertise alike, on their thoughts on the camera, or other recommendations if they have any. I totally appreciate the assistance.

Default Re: Camera Shopping

i would spend a little more money since that body is pretty old esp for indoor low light shooting like the nikon d5500 (outdoors u will be fine) ...i believe canon is coming out with an update to the t5i which would be similar to nikon ....most of these newer bodies coming out for most brands get pretty amazing low light performance..... like the t5 u probably max out at iso 800 unless for good lighting ...where a lot of the newer dslr or mirrorless u can get performance at iso 1600 3200 or even 6400

u will be fucking fat bitches in no time

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Depending on whether you need the whole Canon/Nikon "ecosystem" or not, take a look at the Pentax k-50. I've got it's predecessor (the k-30) and the build quality is in a different league compared to the "cheap plasticky" Canon/Nikon offerings at that price point.
    It's also got a lot of very useful but not immediately obvious features like a 100% viewfinder, weather proofing, 2 command dials and a built in anti-shake system.

Bear in mind though that it's easy to get "locked" into one brand (a bit like Apple) and changing can be a painful (and costly) experience.

Last edited by Laphroaig; 04-20-2015 at 07:00 PM.

the best thing is to go to a good camera shop ...write down things that are important for u ...that pentax is also a nice camera as well ... like things for me that are important are weather sealing also good amount of focus points and cross points ....also being able to make all the camera changes from the camera body over the menu

u will be fucking fat bitches in no time

Quote Originally Posted by hwbs View Post
    the best thing is to go to a good camera shop ...write down things that are important for u .
    Agreed, a few other other things to consider.

Firstly, don't discount the second hand market. You have to be careful but it's possible to pick up pro spec cameras that are only a few years old for bargain prices. 2nd hand lenses can be even better buys. That's where Canon/Nikon score over Pentax/Sony/etc simply because of the greater numbers of them out there.

Secondly, the lens is arguably more important than the camera. With the digital market moving at an incredible pace, cameras can be obsolete (but still take great pics) in a few years. A good lens will last a lot longer.

Thirdly, whatever camera your girlfriend ends up with, remember, it's the photographer who makes the photo, the camera is only a tool (albeit an expensive one).

Last edited by Laphroaig; 04-20-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Boston Metro area+ travel USA,Eastern Canada for shoots+Hookups

Look at a used Nikon D300s excellent camera for shit money! Spend the money on a 85mm lens for people shots/ 200 zoom VR for outside stuff Ive used all of this for years. I just bought the Nikon D750/w the Nikor 28-70 lens This is a 5000 dollar setup, pics are FANTASTIC!!

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by RACQUEL View Post
    Look at a used Nikon D300s excellent camera for shit money! Spend the money on a 85mm lens for people shots/ 200 zoom VR for outside stuff Ive used all of this for years. I just bought the Nikon D750/w the Nikor 28-70 lens This is a 5000 dollar setup, pics are FANTASTIC!!
    Assuming you're taking about the Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR. They are fantastic lenses but even secondhand, I doubt you'd get a good one for less than $1000. Also, while it's a great telephoto zoom, it has a couple of drawbacks. That focal length range was really meant for full frame (35mm) cameras, on most aps-c (sensor size) SLR's the focal length multiplier is about 1.5x making it effectively a 100-300 mm lens, not much use for landscapes or most "general" shots. Also, at about 1.5 kg it's heavy for an everyday "walkaround" lens and while fine on a pro spec camera like the D300s, could break the plastic lens mounts on some of the cheaper Nikons and will certainly unbalance them.

For a "one lens" set up, something like an 18-105 or 18-135 mm would be a better compromise. With the focal length multiplier this give ca. 28-155 or 28-200 mm, ideal for general purpose and covers most situations.

Last edited by Laphroaig; 04-20-2015 at 11:11 PM.

I <3 Boobs + Blowjobs Platinum Poster RallyCola's Avatar

i have been rocking the nikon d7100 for some time now and have had no issues with it.

it depends on your use. i, personally don't use the camera much at all so there is yet no reason to upgrade.

Let's face it...some women just look better with their clothes ON

Senior Member Junior Poster

Yeah. Thanks a ton for the responses. While the goal isn't to compete with actual photographers, we definitely want our photos to not look like they came from my Z3. My price range is definitely preferably 500 max. I have an canon eos 20D, but i feel like it's so old and obsolete. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the t5i. I greatly apologize that I don't understand a lot that was said, here, but I'll understand it eventually, and then the photos I upload will eventually look nicer.

Also, do any current cameras asupport chroma key?

Junior Poster

For green screen work, you'll need lights for that, a basic light kit can start you around $100-$200 dollars, you can build your own. Look for light boxes.