Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Jamie Foxx transphobic rant at Iheart radio awards

I'm all for equal rights and thought it was hilarious. He's a comedian. Don't read too much into it.

Life is short. Just enjoy it.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by christianxxx View Post
    just to be clear, he made a singular joke about Bruce Jenner being both he and she and THAT is now classified as a "transphobic rant"? seriously? wow thats ridiculous
    Thanks for putting everyone straight on this Christian.

What you resist, persists. So ... don't!

Junior Poster

I wonder why it is we give comedians a pass on items we don't give anyone else a pass on? Its not even Jamie Foxx but everyone knows if say a conservative tv announcer made the exact same jokes (and Jamie's by the way brought the room silent) Would everyone would be so forgiving? It seems the world loves political correctness when its convenient but if some comedian makes a joke in bad taste we just let it slide and say oh cmon it was just a couple of jokes. Hes not a hater Lady Gaga took Kelly Osborne to task for saying downright mean and stupid shit on tv about people. And at first everyone was like oh cmon shes just like Joan Rivers (who was super funny RIP Joan!) But she wasn't. So for those of you who think its just a couple of jokes hey your entitled to your opinion. Maybe im reading to much into this but for all the talk about respecting others and changing the world I think you call it out for what it is. Just don't expect change in the world if your not willing to change it!

Most people give comedians a pass when they're making jokes because by there very nature, they aren't sincere and the forum in which they're giving it isn't one that is serious and political in nature. You aren't changing the world by criticizing someone whose statements are taken in jest, you're just trying to flaunt your undeserved sense of moral superiority to people who don't give a shit. You want to change the world? Bring awareness to the words and actions of our congressmen and women whose job is to actually dictate how we are allowed to live our lives. Whining about a comedian making jokes isn't changing shit.

1 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Those who anger you control you

I Love music, any kind of music ~ The O'Jays

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy13 View Post
    I wonder why it is we give comedians a pass on items we don't give anyone else a pass on? Its not even Jamie Foxx but everyone knows if say a conservative tv announcer made the exact same jokes (and Jamie's by the way brought the room silent) Would everyone would be so forgiving? It seems the world loves political correctness when its convenient but if some comedian makes a joke in bad taste we just let it slide and say oh cmon it was just a couple of jokes. Hes not a hater Lady Gaga took Kelly Osborne to task for saying downright mean and stupid shit on tv about people. And at first everyone was like oh cmon shes just like Joan Rivers (who was super funny RIP Joan!) But she wasn't. So for those of you who think its just a couple of jokes hey your entitled to your opinion. Maybe im reading to much into this but for all the talk about respecting others and changing the world I think you call it out for what it is. Just don't expect change in the world if your not willing to change it!
    1. You're reading too much into this.

2. Speaking for myself, if a conservative TV announcer did make the same joke, my reaction would still be the same. Its all about context and intent.

Now if a conservative TV host or Jamie Foxx for that matter went a on a real transphobic rant, my reaction then would be different.

3. Once again speaking for myself, I can't stand political correctness and believe that it has done more harm than good. Its a perfect example of the road to hell being paved by good intentions.

4. Trying to force homophobic and transphobic people into accepting the LBGT community by being as close minded as they are is the wrong way to go about it.

5. Actions speak louder than words. The real fight should be against those who would do real harm against the transgendered community. Whether its through physical violence or violating their civil rights. Not against a comedians who makes a joke about a one particular person.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by blackchubby38; 04-05-2015 at 06:14 PM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

Something's funny until people say it's not funny.

Remember when Seinfeld's Michael Richards lost his mind on stage and nearly ended his career??

Just because you're trying to be funny doesn't mean you get a pass for being offensive.

Pulling off a joke about transpeople is hard mainly because the joke is built upon the assumption TS are really deep down their birth gender and not their transitioned selves.

That's why Jamie Foxx's joke wasn't funny.

Until more people understand what it means to be transgendered, comedians are better off steering clear from it.

Now if Jamie Foxx made a joke about TS mood swings because of HRT, or TS thinking all dudes into them are faggots, or their obsession with designer everything, or the plastic surgery addiction, etc., I could see the humor in that.

But a wink-wink joke that a TS is really a man/used to be a man is offensive.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

The only way I can see someone comparing Jamie Foxx's jokes here to Michael Richards' performance back then is if they don't understand the context of either.

Those who anger you control you

I Love music, any kind of music ~ The O'Jays

How many TS on this board have defended Jamie Foxx's joke in this thread???

The silence is deafening.

Senior Member Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni_hotel View Post
    Something's funny until people say it's not funny.

Remember when Seinfeld's Michael Richards lost his mind on stage and nearly ended his career??

Just because you're trying to be funny doesn't mean you get a pass for being offensive.

Pulling off a joke about transpeople is hard mainly because the joke is built upon the assumption TS are really deep down their birth gender and not their transitioned selves.

That's why Jamie Foxx's joke wasn't funny.

Until more people understand what it means to be transgendered, comedians are better off steering clear from it.

Now if Jamie Foxx made a joke about TS mood swings because of HRT, or TS thinking all dudes into them are faggots, or their obsession with designer everything, or the plastic surgery addiction, etc., I could see the humor in that.

But a wink-wink joke that a TS is really a man/used to be a man is offensive.
    But who gets to decide what's funny or not. Comedy is very subjective. There are certain comedians who I just don't find funny. Yet they have an audience. The same goes for television shows and movies.

There wasn't nothing offensive about what Jamie Foxx said. He didn't use a slur against Bruce Jenner or against the TS community in general.

As for Micheal Richards incident, he lost his shit on stage because he was being heckled and got angry. Can anybody truly say they haven't had a moment in life where they said something they wish they could take back.

Everything in life is subjective. The public creates our community standards, fair or not.

Somewhere, I'm sure, someone thought Michael Richards N-word rant was funny as hell.
    But most didn't.

You think Jamie Foxx said was a brilliant joke about being TS.

I think it was much less than that.
    I agree it wasn't a transphobic rant, but it was crass and insensitive.

Remember, the underlying crux of Jamie Foxx's joke was that even if a TS transitions, she's still a MAN.

Explain to me how that's funny in a public setting in front of a mixed audience??

It reminds me of a joke I heard years ago;

"What do you call a Black man with a PhD??

Still a N_gger."

LOLOLOL.
    Not.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.