Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Senior Member Veteran Poster

Default Re: Artificial Super Intelligence - are we ready for it?

:end of transmission:

Member Rookie Poster

The Machine Stops is quite accurately predicting our down-fall. Written in 1909, it predicted instant messaging and internet technologies and how humanity has come to rely on them so much forgetting basic social interactions. Now obviously we aren't at that point and probably will never end up like that but we're not exactly in a good place when we see social network addiction and how people apparently now need therapy just to cut down on their use of social networking. I've heard of people having panic attacks when their phone battery runs out because they can't be without it for a couple of minutes. It's madness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	albert-einstein-quote.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	309.3 KB 
ID:	883168

How many people rely on being given answers from Google rather than understanding the answers they're reading? Einstein was right, technology is surpassing human interaction and breeding a generation of idiots in an era where there is little excuse for people not to be educated anymore.

So how can we be ready for super advanced artificial intelligence when so many people can't even handle social networking or the internet?

But one thing at a time I say. We'll have augmented humans before anything else and perhaps that would be better. Create the best of both worlds with machine and man. That's the real future and let's be honest, if we did end up creating robots that more advanced intelligence than ours, their logical next step would be to replace us. So create augmented humans first to ensure robots can never rebel against their masters! lol

Of course cybernetic humans themselves raise many topics to discuss.

Last edited by Fyusian; 10-11-2015 at 06:45 PM.

So far, I'm not impressed with any of the AI I've seen. A month or so ago, i wanted to buy a new case for my 6+. I called the local # to the Apple store at the Biltmore in Phoenix to see if the one I wanted, in the color I wanted was in stock before I made the trip (3 miles). What I got was a CG voice that said it could understand whatever questions I might have. After listening to several versions of "I don't know what you want", I asked to be transferred to a human sales rep. So I get transferred to someone at a store in Denver who politely tells me that they have what I want. When I explained that I'm in Phx, he said "oh" & gave me back to the bot. Now I'm getting irritated, so all I say is "I want to speak to a human being". It took nearly 10 minutes of repeating the words "human being" over & over before I got transferred to some guy in CA. For all I know, it could've been some corporate mucky muck in Cupertino. I could almost feel his eyes rolling as I told my story again. He then transferred me directly to a real phone at the Biltmore store in Phx, where a young lady was able to take care of me in less than 2 minutes. That fiasco was more than a half hour wasted. If not for my pacemaker, I might have blown a gasket.

Senior Member Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by hippifried View Post
    "I want to speak to a human being".
    SIDEBAR ALERT!!!!

Hey Hippifried, did you just move to Phoenix?
    Is that dry desert air everything they say it is?

World Class Asshole

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    SIDEBAR ALERT!!!!

Hey Hippifried, did you just move to Phoenix?
    Is that dry desert air everything they say it is?
    Except for an 8 year stint (till 3 years ago) in Imperial Valley CA, I've been in Phx since 1967. In AZ since 1960. It's been great the last week or so. Highs in the mid to high 90s & mid 70s at night, but it's supposed to get back over 100 for the rest of the week.
    So what do "they" say about dry desert air? Probably bullshit. Like anywhere, there's stuff that can bite you. Some folks find it beneficial overall. Depends what you're allergic to. Phx is a big city. The vally used to be irrigated farms & orchards. Now it's concrete, asphalt, & housing tracts, with a population of over 5 million. You have to drive a ways to find the desert. In defense of my home though: We have great Mexican food, almost no mosquitoes, & you can dress in shorts & t-shirts 10 months out of the year. But then again, there's an 8% sales tax. ...But it's a dry heat... Yeah, uh huh...

.....there's an 8% sales tax. ...But it's a dry heat....
    I live in No. Virginia, and I just read an article that puts you and me in the most desirable places not only to live, but to retire. That makes it expensive, but you get what you pay for. If I ditch my big house and yard, in my personal situation, it almost makes sense to liquidate everything I have and own a suitcase full of cash. And a plane ticket to Shangrai-La. My real estate tax is no joke either. But having all the creature comforts they have in congested overtaxed urban areas......I'm hooked. The humidity in the summer here makes two months of the year unbearable while you watch your lawn turn to a crunchy brown. Your area has the best humidity levels in the entire USA. You probably take it for granted.

ANYWAY>>>>>back to the trough, folks, thanks Hippifried, thanks, civilians.

Instead of AI, I'd like six buttslinger clones, made from my DNA, and my personal property. They could get jobs and cook and clean for me 24/7. What would I do with a computer that's self aware? What would it need me for?

World Class Asshole

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    Instead of AI, I'd like six buttslinger clones, made from my DNA, and my personal property. They could get jobs and cook and clean for me 24/7. What would I do with a computer that's self aware? What would it need me for?
    Hope those clones can handle your geriatric home care. Wouldn't they have to be grown & trained first? I wonder if an aversion to cleaning up drool & changing diapers is genetic. Maybe a better idea would be to start now, cloning replacement parts. Or as needed if they can be grown quickly in place.

As for a self aware computer:
    It'd probably just give itself a complex or a binary nervous breakdown. Then get so confused & depressed that it turns itself off.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Wouldn't they have to be grown & trained first? I wonder if an aversion to cleaning up drool & changing diapers is genetic.
    It's a shame my clones would be more trouble than they're worth. Even with the sweat shop money.

Considering that twenty years ago I was in awe of chess programs on my 486 computer, it's only logical that even if computers never become artificially intelligent, they really should be able to rule Wall St or coach football teams. While a generation of humans is twenty years and then starts over from scratch, each generation will have a smarter computer to play with. I wonder if a hundred years from now they'll look back at these days as Idyllic, moronic, or both.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monolith-on-moon.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	883618  

World Class Asshole

Senior Member Veteran Poster

:end of transmission:

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I have never seen the film Back to the Future so I can't really comment on the various articles and programmes on tv and the radio which ask why some of the predictions in the film came true when some did not, but there is an interesting article in today's Telegraph about a man called 'John Titor' who claimed to have returned to the year from 2036 and who posted this message on an internet forum:

Greetings. I am a time traveller from the year 2036. I am on my way home after getting an IBM 5100 computer system from the year 1975.
    “My ‘time’ machine is a stationary mass, temporal displacement unit manufactured by General Electric. The unit is powered by two top-spin dual-positive singularities that produce a standard off-set Tipler sinusoid.
    “I will be happy to post pictures of the unit.”

-There is more in the link, and while he seems to be a fantasy (one of the commentators to the article claims it is from a science fiction book called Alas, Babylon (1959) his precise need for an IBM 5100 is well, weird...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...clear-war.html