Default Chris Borland On His Decision To Retire...

Chris Borland On His Decision To Retire:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...njury-concerns

Default Re: Chris Borland On His Decision To Retire...

There's chance of physical injury to every professional athlete. He's entitled to walk away but most NFL players are aware of the risk/reward.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by flabbybody View Post
    There's chance of physical injury to every professional athlete. He's entitled to walk away but most NFL players are aware of the risk/reward.
    Should the short-term rewards outweigh the long-term risks??? Well, that's a personal choice.
    But players, all players should make a rational choice, an informed choice.
    I mean, the likes of Jim McMahon and others have paid a big price:

Yeah. I don't know what's going to happen with pro football in the long run. The NFL has admitted that about one in three players will suffer long-term brain injury. Googling Hall of Famer and perennial iron man Mike Webster is enough to give anyone the willies. Even the best helmets won't stop the brain from bouncing around inside the skull after hard impact.

I imagine there will always be players willing accept the risks in return for money and athletic glory. No easy answers. We all love watching a QB get clobbered by the likes of Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor. It's not just pros at risk though. The damage likely starts young and grows over time. Should youngsters be banned from playing tackle football?

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Should the short-term rewards outweigh the long-term risks??? Well, that's a personal choice.
    But players, all players should make a rational choice, an informed choice.
    I mean, the likes of Jim McMahon and others have paid a big price:

McMahon is also a raging alcoholic, and still drinking, which may have something to do with it...

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain View Post
    Yeah. I don't know what's going to happen with pro football in the long run. The NFL has admitted that about one in three players will suffer long-term brain injury. Googling Hall of Famer and perennial iron man Mike Webster is enough to give anyone the willies. Even the best helmets won't stop the brain from bouncing around inside the skull after hard impact.

I imagine there will always be players willing accept the risks in return for money and athletic glory. No easy answers. We all love watching a QB get clobbered by the likes of Reggie White or Lawrence Taylor. It's not just pros at risk though. The damage likely starts young and grows over time. Should youngsters be banned from playing tackle football?
    Yes! There is no reason a 6 year that is only a couple years out of diapers should be playing tackle football. I don't think any earlier than 7th or 8th grade should any kids be playing tackle. You can teach basically ALL the basic skills you need in football without contact. Teach the kids the fundamentals young without contact and they'll be safer at the higher levels.

The legendary John Madden has said as much as well.