View Poll Results: Do you believe aliens exist and visit our earth?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i believe aliens exist and visit earth. I believe UFOs and USOs exist.

19 73.08%
  • I don't even if astronauts, pilots and ex-NASA officials say they do.

7 26.92%
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2227282930313233 LastLast

Default Re: Do you believe aliens exist and visit our planet Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    I guess I'm curious how long we've been listening? If a message is sent from 5 billion light years away (and for a presumably finite period of time), why should we expect to hear it within the infinitesimally short period we've been listening? There also has to be an equation for the small odds of synchronizing transmissions with their receipt. Which cuts back to Trish's point about the average length of time a civilization can sustain itself and not go dark vs. the distances traversed.
    Yes , there are a whole multitude of modifications to the original Drake Equation , which yielded an original result of between 1000 and 100,000 civilizations in our Milky Way Galaxy alone. Many of those are listed in the extended Wiki link above.
    Planet hunting in our galaxy over the last 10 years has revealed over 2000 planets orbiting `nearby` stars. Additionally , as we learn more about the effects of such things as ice ages on the evolution of life on our planet we use those factors to modify the original Drake Equation.

http://www.astrobio.net/alien-life/t...h-sara-seager/

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Last edited by sukumvit boy; 05-22-2017 at 02:30 AM.

Consider the following, as an example and as a contrast to the idea, of vastly more advanced civilization encountering a vastly less advanced civilization. The idea here is , they(advanced) would not necessarily behave like Cortez did with the Aztecas.

And as far as , "Where are they? If there there..." This video also answers the question, very well. The aborigines had no awareness of such civilization as our Western one,largely thanks to Anthropologists choosing to put off meeting them .and, despite the fact, both live on the same planet.
    So , the "Aliens" being more advanced , could simply hide in plain sight, or cloaking technologies, or inside the earth or around the vicinity of our Solar System. It would not be hard for them to evade and stay undetected. And, to the extent which these phenomena display themselves , suggests that they are firmly in control.
    Finally echoing my earlier point, they would be very careful as to how they interact with us, considering the huge cosmic considerations of future evolution of an intelligent species.Think , " Prime Directive", and although now were still bound to the earth, our descendants, Cyborg's or AI , will affect other worlds in the future. A cosmic effect. Serious stuff , not to be taken lightly.

Last edited by nitron; 05-22-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I recall a memorable phrase from the obituary of a cosmologist even though I can't recall his name- planet Earth orbits the Sun in 'a quiet corner of the Universe' and this is one reason why life in the form we know it has survived when other planets are buffeted by colossal asteroids, convulsed in giant tsunamis and earthquakes, submerged in toxic gases or just balls of dust like the Moon.

The idea that alien life is out there and that it is significantly more advanced than ours is loaded with the conceit that 'they' are superior to us but that this is because they are superior versions of us, rather than being truly alien and wholly different from us. You can see this in the two contrasts as treated in cinema -The Day the Earth Stood Still -good aliens; War of the Worlds -bad aliens. Close Encounters of the Third Kind -good aliens; Alien -bad alien; Arrival -good alien; Transformers -bad alien, and so on. What seems to unite them is that the aliens are either pseudo-or-supra-human, or reptilian, the insect-lizard form appealing in some much as Godzilla in Japan.

What also unites this debate is whether or not immigrants are a curse or a blessing, whether or not they add to existing culture, or are a threat to it. It is hardly surprising that foreigners entering a country are often, for legal reasons referred to as Aliens, and you could interpret all films about aliens in the context of immigrants or foreign invaders with devastating weapons or power, vide Godzilla as post-nuclear catastrophe; Invasion of the Body Snatchers was straight outta McCarthy -the Communists are here, they are all around us, have taken human form, and you don't know it. But on a given day at a pre-arranged signal, they are going to take over, and there ain't nothin' you can do about it.

Another argument is that while it is statistically possible life forms exist elsewhere in the cosmos, the chemical elements propose life-forms that may be little advanced than microbes and worms rather than super-fantastic techno marvels where illness is cured with the swipe of a ray-gun, though it does make one wonder where the disease comes from. Most of all, the thought that we are alone does not appeal to scientists, but may appeal to those who think this is the point of God's creation which is what we are.

Only it could be that having experimented once, God looked at the results and declared, if only to himself/herself/itself -Hmmm, I won't be doing that again!

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Kim Stanley Robinson wrote a book a few years ago called Aurora. It’s about an attempt to send a colony of people to an exoplanet (in a goldilocks zone), terraform it and live there. The trip there (if I recall - its been awhile since I read it) required that several generations survive in a terrarium-like space ship until they reach their destination. The book details the difficulties encountered along the journey, and the difficulties encountered on the exoplanet.

I think the upshot of the story is to raise the question, “Could it be that life is inseparable from the planet or moon with which it co-evolved?” One of the characters addresses Fermi’s question and claims there are no visitors because “life is a planetary expression, and can only survive on its home planet.”

It’s an interesting read (504 pages), if your into that kind of thing.

5 out of 5 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    I think the upshot of the story is to raise the question, “Could it be that life is inseparable from the planet or moon with which it co-evolved?” One of the characters addresses Fermi’s question and claims there are no visitors because “life is a planetary expression, and can only survive on its home planet.”
    If I make it to Planet Zingalong, the question is, will I still be able to have fish and chips on a Friday night like I do on Earth? Coz otherwise I'm staying here.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Senior Member Gold Poster Laphroaig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Kim Stanley Robinson wrote a book a few years ago called Aurora. It’s about an attempt to send a colony of people to an exoplanet (in a goldilocks zone), terraform it and live there. The trip there (if I recall - its been awhile since I read it) required that several generations survive in a terrarium-like space ship until they reach their destination. The book details the difficulties encountered along the journey, and the difficulties encountered on the exoplanet.

It’s an interesting read (504 pages), if your into that kind of thing.
    Sounds similar to the beginning of his Mars trilogy, which I must revisit someday as I'm not sure I actually finished the 3rd book.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    If I make it to Planet Zingalong, the question is, will I still be able to have fish and chips on a Friday night like I do on Earth? Coz otherwise I'm staying here.
    If not, there's a business opportunity there, Stavros Fish & Chip Shop.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post
    Unless Planet Zingalong is also known as "Planet of the Codfish".

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Laphroaig View Post
    Since my retirement noone can get a good kebab around here, innit?

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

If you're planing to have fish and chip meals with your family via Skype, you may have some difficulty coordinating Zingalong Fridays with Earth Fridays.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Look, Ma, another article from the Guardian!

But it does debunk the 'aliens' of Roswell...again...a good read.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...mexico-mystery