Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    5 Star Poster

Default Re: Islam - the religion of peace

Hundreds of copies of the latest edition of Charlie Hebdo 'survivors' magazine are expected to be brought to the UK when it is published on Wednesday despite claims by radical preacher Anjem Choudary it is "an act of war".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ct-of-war.html

An act of war? what a wonderful religion of peace.

5 Star Poster

1. All is forgiven
    2. "where are the 70 virgins? they are with the killed journalists
    3. terrorists : a 25 seconds job - a job for lazy persons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlie1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	785982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlie.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	223.2 KB 
ID:	785983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charlie590378pic_C.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	785984  

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Women in Charlie Hebdo Demonstration Whisked Mysteriously Away. Has Angela Merkle Been Abducted By Aliens?

No, life on Earth is even stranger than you think.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ie-hebdo-rally

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by plankton View Post
    The Muslim religion should be eradicated. It is not a religion of peace. It is nothing but intolerance,hate and oppression. What you think would happen if shemales trannies gays or bisexuals went to a Muslim country's and they found out what your sexual orientation is? They would put you to death. If a women is raped and doesn't have 4 or 5 males witnesses that will testify on her behalf she gets stoned to death for adultery.
    There are over 1.6 billion Muslims in the world. It is unfortunate that a very small minority of them shape the image for those 1.6 billion people. The most visible extremists cannot even make up 1% of the entire population of Muslims, that would be over 1.6 million people.

By the way, there is no such thing as the "Muslim religion".

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

I do have to say - I tend to agree with this article though: http://nypost.com/2015/01/13/hate-is-still-speech/

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    I do have to say - I tend to agree with this article though: http://nypost.com/2015/01/13/hate-is-still-speech/
    I agree. While I think on the hierarchy of things that are offensive to reasonable people, racial vilification should be above blasphemy, neither should be criminal. Such laws make the people who tend to violate them feel their views are suppressed because they're right rather than because they have said things that are indecent and threatening to minorities.

The punishments don't act as a deterrent and the serial violators of these laws end up feeling empowered by the court judgments against them that are at most a nuisance (if the punishments were more severe they would be out of proportion to the offense committed). In the end the laws accomplish nothing and violate the spirit of free discourse even though they attempt to only censor the most vulgar and least valuable form of it.

That includes Holocaust denial which is illegal in several countries. While I understand why these laws may have seemed useful a short time after the Holocaust, and that they tend to only ensnare rank bigots, I think they should be repealed.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

I did not know: "But under French law, insulting people based on their religion is a crime punishable by a fine of 22,500 euros and six months in jail" which is reported in Fred's link above. As the article speculates, this should certainly have a chilling effect on free speech in France and although it doesn't justify the murder of offenders, it does endorse the idea that people have a right not to be offended by speech––which is anathema to the concept of free speech as we understand it here in the U.S.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    I did not know: "But under French law, insulting people based on their religion is a crime punishable by a fine of 22,500 euros and six months in jail" which is reported in Fred's link above.
    I completely agree that it would chill free speech. I wonder how this has been interpreted. I suppose that insulting a person based on their religion, is not the same thing as saying things about that religion that an adherent would find insulting. For instance, maybe you could insult Judaism or Islam (both the doctrine and the practices), but not insult the Jew or Muslim for practicing Judaism or Islam. When you have to make these micro-distinctions in real time, it chills speech.

I wondered exactly the same thing; the distinction just seems to fine to applicable.

France Arrests a Comedian For His Facebook Comments, Showing the Sham of the West’s “Free Speech” Celebration:

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2...book-comments/

0 out of 1 members liked this post.