Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: Islam - the religion of peace

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    It's a film well worth watching...
    I'm a little embarrassed you went out an viewed the movie - I probably wouldn't give it a high recommendation to anyone who wasn't really interested in learning more about George. So I'm also relieved that it wasn't a bust and you enjoyed the experience and count it as worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
    It doesn't read to me that J. Sacco is taking credit of the cartoon. He seems to be posting it, and most likely on behalf of Crumb. I too saw Crumb the documentary years ago. Quite interesting and funny.
    Perhaps you're right, but the cartoon seems to be signed vertically on the lower right hand side by J. Sacco. Possibiities: Pseudonym, or posting on behalf of Crumb, or someone influenced by Crumb.

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    ...He's a genius in what he does...but in watching this I realize, in combination with some experience with mental illness in my own family, what a tenuous grasp we sometimes have in keeping enough of just the right mental balance to be able to exist in society...or the 'outside world'...
    (I'm sorry to hear you have dealt with mental illness in your own family.)
    So it is I think with religious belief (and perhaps other ideologies): the balance between reality and devotion to sacredly held beliefs can be a difficult one to maintain. Surely the fundamentalist murderers that unleashed their madness in Paris last weekend lost that balance.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by trish; 01-12-2015 at 08:35 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

lmao...you guys gotta stop with cartoon mystery...It's titled "On Satire" by Joe Sacco...he draws himself in most of the panels...(It doesn't look at all like Robert Crumb except they both wear glasses)...the inking style is different...and last, but not least, Joe Sacco is established in his own right...(not that I knew that...I looked it up...duh...lol).

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by fred41; 01-13-2015 at 02:15 AM.

EEK! That's some ass! Thanks for research, Fred.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Yeah , thanks for the research Fred.
    Looks like I struck a resonant chord with my casual reference to R. Crumb.
    Guess we need a R. Crumb thread.
    Joe Sacco is certainly venerable cartoonist and journalist in his own right. The style just reminded me of the whole alternative comix movement from the 60's through the 80's and continuing, of which he is a part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	joe sacco untitled.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	785000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	joe-sacco-the-fixer001.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	317.4 KB 
ID:	785001  

Muslim Man Saw Potential Hostages In Jewish Shop And Did This:

Junior Poster

The Muslim religion should be eradicated. It is not a religion of peace. It is nothing but intolerance,hate and oppression. What you think would happen if shemales trannies gays or bisexuals went to a Muslim country's and they found out what your sexual orientation is? They would put you to death. If a women is raped and doesn't have 4 or 5 males witnesses that will testify on her behalf she gets stoned to death for adultery.

0 out of 5 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by plankton View Post
    The Muslim religion should be eradicated. It is not a religion of peace. It is nothing but intolerance,hate and oppression. What you think would happen if shemales trannies gays or bisexuals went to a Muslim country's and they found out what your sexual orientation is? They would put you to death. If a women is raped and doesn't have 4 or 5 males witnesses that will testify on her behalf she gets stoned to death for adultery.
    People like yourself make it very hard for others to offer any sort of constructive criticism about extremism within Islam. It's not just the strident language but also the failure to note any variety in the practices of the religion.

But just saying that the Muslim religion should be eradicated...it's entirely unhelpful, I can guarantee it's upsetting to any moderate Muslim who would read the comment, and it makes those of us who really do want to point out some of the dangers of extremism in Islam feel tainted by our association to your comments (this last one is a selfish motive).

BTW I am also concerned about capital punishment in Muslim countries. In my recollection not all of them punish homosexual acts this way...I haven't done a survey but I think there are one or two where it's not criminalized but it's obviously an important issue.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by plankton View Post
    The Muslim religion should be eradicated. ...
    You don't have to read much of this forum to discern I'm not a big fan of religion. Personally, I would rather live in a world without religion. But the suggestion that religion should be "eradicated" and more specifically that "The Muslim religion should be eradicated" is abhorrent and stupid (there are 1.6 billion Muslims spread across the surface of Earth––23% of the world’s population). Should we engage religionists intellectually? Yes. Should we engage religionists morally? Yes. Confront them with satire? Yes. As we should be engaged and confronted by them? As an atheist (intellectually) and a Christian (by upbringing) I am embarrassed, ashamed and offended by calls of violence against billions people who, like us, are simply trying to figure out our human place in this awesome universe.

Did you know one of the police officers killed in Paris was a Muslim?
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-ahmed-merabet

Did you know a brave Muslim man at the Kosher market saved thirteen Jewish shoppers by hiding them from the terrorists?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...stay-warm.html

4 out of 4 members liked this post.

Mustafa Akyol's latest opinion piece: Islam's Problem with Blasphemy->

http://nyti.ms/1C4x6jn

Here's a line from the article

Before all that politically motivated expansion and toughening of Shariah, though, the Quran told early Muslims, who routinely faced the mockery of their faith by pagans: “God has told you in the Book that when you hear God’s revelations disbelieved in and mocked at, do not sit with them until they enter into some other discourse; surely then you would be like them.”
    Just “do not sit with them” — that is the response the Quran suggests for mockery. Not violence. Not even censorship.