Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default Re: Islam - the religion of peace

Interesting article that relates to the present discussion here: http://qz.com/324435/muslims-and-jew...or-each-other/

it does seem to me though that while both groups are targeted in France...acts of violence between the two minority groups themselves, mostly (or entirely) seem to go one way.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Violence is easier than sorting out how people with differing beliefs can live with each other––or is it?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-...to-the-attacks

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Violence is easier than sorting out how people with differing beliefs can live with each other––or is it?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-...to-the-attacks
    It's a good cartoon... I actually disagree with a lot of his panels here...but he gets his point across in a terrific way.

That looks like Robert Crumb's work ,he lives in rural France.

Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    That looks like Robert Crumb's work ...
    It does indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    ...,he lives in rural France.
    Now that you mention it, I remember reading that somewhere. Hmmm...but if it him, why sign it J. Sacco? New nom de plume or worried for his safety?

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Speaking of Crumb...he did an interview on the subject for the NY Observer (dated 1/10)...here it is:
    http://observer.com/2015/01/legendar...acre-in-paris/

in it he mentions he did a cartoon for Liberation ..a french paper...as of my post, I don't think it's out yet, but here is an updated page from that paper that has some brilliant cartoons on the subject:

http://www.liberation.fr/societe/201...harlie_1176825

Thanks for the links, Fred. I love Crumb (he's the sanest person in his family...ever see the film "Crumb"?). Currently working through or other link with the help of Google Translate.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Thanks for the links, Fred. I love Crumb (he's the sanest person in his family...ever see the film "Crumb"?). Currently working through or other link with the help of Google Translate.
    Why yes I have, just now...after I read your post, I looked it up on Netflix and they didn't have it so I rented it on Amazon (stupidly paying the extra buck to unnecessarily rent it in HD)...
    Very interesting portrait of a somewhat socially immature but brilliant illustrator. His whole family is nuts (well, we don't get to meet his two sisters who declined to be interviewed, to my disappointment...so I don't know about their mental health)...but he is, in fact, the sanest of three brothers.
    I didn't watch the movie when it first came out because, even though I knew who he was, I never got into his art/Comix at the time because I couldn't really relate to them.
    But he is exceptionally gifted artistically...as were his brothers and, from what I could see in the film, his son from a previous marriage.
    He's a genius in what he does...but in watching this I realize, in combination with some experience with mental illness in my own family, what a tenuous grasp we sometimes have in keeping enough of just the right mental balance to be able to exist in society...or the 'outside world'.

It's a film well worth watching.

lol...sorry for the interlude, now back to the thread.

Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    But yes, I disagree with your point about them being especially sensitive over anti-semitic content. Just as I disagreed with your argument in the thread about reporting on Israel that the violence spawned from the protests was not worrisome because it's not yet as bad as internment camps. Just as I disagreed with a bunch of other stuff you've said.
    Got it. Thanks for the explanation. For the record, I read almost all of your posts because you make well reasoned arguments, even when I might disagree with them. I'm not sure my arguments always have as sound a reason behind them. I try.

Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

It does indeed.
    Now that you mention it, I remember reading that somewhere. Hmmm...but if it him, why sign it J. Sacco? New nom de plume or worried for his safety?
    It doesn't read to me that J. Sacco is taking credit of the cartoon. He seems to be posting it, and most likely on behalf of Crumb. I too saw Crumb the documentary years ago. Quite interesting and funny.