Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

Default Re: Islam - the religion of peace

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Is it any wonder that people with intelligence abandon HungAngels when it is so shamefully biased?
    I'm disappointed that I didn't get to see the censored cartoon.

But the censorship doesn't surprise me. As you note, there is some real bias here in the management of this site, and it begins and ends with the almighty $.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
    I'm disappointed that I didn't get to see the censored cartoon.

But the censorship doesn't surprise me. As you note, there is some real bias here in the management of this site, and it begins and ends with the almighty $.
    Jewish people don't have absolute control over what is posted on this board. I would have had no problem with a Der Sturmer cartoon being posted although it's irrelevant.

The problem is that even if the cartoons were bad, they don't justify violence. It doesn't justify all of the violence against cartoonists or grocery shoppers.

What a phony, disingenuous comment about being disappointed not to see the Der Sturmer cartoon. You can find them all over the web. You're certainly not going to get attacked for looking at them.

Gold Poster

I'm tempted to post a Der Sturmer cartoon as well as a couple dozen cartoons from the Middle Eastern press depicting Jews. Yes, protecting the almighty dollar

Gold Poster

The problem with the argument that Muslims are being treated like Jews of the 1930s is that it is actually Jewish people in France who have been subjected to record setting violence this year. Were you gentlemen to pay attention, you’d have known that there has been an explosion of hate crimes in France. A woman being raped in front of her husband while the robbers mocked them for being Jewish. Now four people murdered in a Kosher market that nobody no matter how gullible could believe was random. Synagogues set ablaze. People using a gesture called a quenelle that looks like a reverse hitler salute which those who perform it claim is an anti-establishment gesture, but which is oddly always performed in front of synagogues and Jewish gravesites. People who are frightened to appear in public with yarmulkes. Jews are 1% of the population but are victims in 40% of the hate crimes in France.

Now, the kicker to all of this is that the attackers in an overwhelming majority of these cases are Muslim, who claim they are attacking the Jews based on religious and political grievances. So, I fail to see how the treatment of Muslims in France is approaching the treatment of Jews in the 1930s. I do see how anti-semitism in France is so out of control that Jewish people are leaving the country en masse based on targeted harassment, the perpetrators in a large majority of cases Muslim youths.

I have no doubt that Muslims are occasionally the butt of racist cartoons. I do expect that the hateful cartoons published about Jews in the Middle East are at least comparable. Isn't the main problem here the violent response? You don't need to go all the way back to Der Sturmer if you want to find hateful cartoons about Jewish people. Why should an insulting cartoon result in mass murder?

Last edited by broncofan; 01-10-2015 at 05:28 AM.

Member Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by cameron47 View Post
    Islam is a cult
    A sick, twisted, openly misogynistic death cult.

2 out of 3 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    The problem with the argument that Muslims are being treated like Jews of the 1930s is that it is actually Jewish people in France who have been subjected to record setting violence this year...
    In France, both communities are under attack, and as for the analogy with the 1930s, Yuengling's post no 26 says it all, with a nostalgia for the Third Reich and the belief that maybe Hitler was right after all drawing a line under my involvement in this. My parent's generation, the one that fought for freedom is dying out, but it seems another generation is planning to re-open Auschwitz, but not as a museum. Enough!

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Hey! Get off my lawn. 5 Star Poster Odelay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by broncofan View Post
    What a phony, disingenuous comment about being disappointed not to see the Der Sturmer cartoon. You can find them all over the web. You're certainly not going to get attacked for looking at them.
    You might be misinterpreting my disappointment. I would have wanted to see the 'toon within the context of Stavros' point. I know the internet is loaded with anti-semitic cartoons, but I am not interested in them outside of a larger point being made.

Your later point seems to indicate that you disagree with my point about why the 'toon was censored from this site. Can I assume that your counterpoint is that it was removed because the owners/managers are sensitive to inflammatory anti-semitic content? If so, what do you think about some of the inflammatory content that the owners/managers let slide?

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    In France, both communities are under attack, and as for the analogy with the 1930s, Yuengling's post no 26 says it all, with a nostalgia for the Third Reich and the belief that maybe Hitler was right after all drawing a line under my involvement in this. My parent's generation, the one that fought for freedom is dying out, but it seems another generation is planning to re-open Auschwitz, but not as a museum. Enough!
    I agree about Yuengling's post. I reported it because it has no place in the discussion. I have no idea whether others did too. I did not report or complain about the Der Sturmer cartoon because I never saw it but would not have given that you were using it for a comparison.

Moderating I'm sure is an art and not a science. They got rid of Yuengling's post because it's just a bunch of fascist vomit, but we're not always going to agree. Actually I remember I exchanged a dozen posts with a poster named Benedict something in a thread called Israel Gone Fascist started by Odelay...I didn't report anything the guy said and management decided on their own they did not like the anti-semitism.

But I think you're wrong if you think the anger about the Mohamed cartoons is because it's a caricature of Middle Eastern ethnic features. The anger is based on dogma, the proscription against depicting the Prophet. That's the reason the violence has been so out of control. It is pure, unbridled religious fundamentalism. I have no intent to provoke or upset Muslims. But every group is going to have some people who say obnoxious things to them or about them.

I think I've clearly expressed that Muslims have not been especially targeted by cartoonists. But cartoonists have been especially targeted by extremist Muslims.

Gold Poster

Y.
    Your later point seems to indicate that you disagree with my point about why the 'toon was censored from this site. Can I assume that your counterpoint is that it was removed because the owners/managers are sensitive to inflammatory anti-semitic content? If so, what do you think about some of the inflammatory content that the owners/managers let slide?
    They let slide anti-semitic content as well. You never seem to object to it when it's there, but I can find it for you. I imagine they did not want third reich cartoons posted here. There is a particular stigma associated with them, because a genocide was committed right on the back of that. I disagree with the decision but I can understand why they'd be hesitant about allowing any Holocaust-era propaganda to be posted on their site.

Gold Poster

Your later point seems to indicate that you disagree with my point about why the 'toon was censored from this site. Can I assume that your counterpoint is that it was removed because the owners/managers are sensitive to inflammatory anti-semitic content?
    They do the best they can. They seem to be very quick to remove anything associated with the Third Reich I've noticed. You act as though there's not a ton of anti-semitic content still on the site. I used the report button for the first time ever a week or two ago because I would generally prefer to debate with such people.

There are also a number of racist comments towards African-Americans. I've found myself arguing with these individuals (until a couple weeks ago my view was I'd prefer to just debate them; but sometimes they take a thread on a tangent). It's the internet, there are going to be nasty things said. I'd prefer generally not to see things removed unless they are disruptive but everyone will have a different opinion about it.

But yes, I disagree with your point about them being especially sensitive over anti-semitic content. Just as I disagreed with your argument in the thread about reporting on Israel that the violence spawned from the protests was not worrisome because it's not yet as bad as internment camps. Just as I disagreed with a bunch of other stuff you've said.