Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Senior Member Veteran Poster Dahlia Babe Ailhad's Avatar

Red face Re: Hello. I am new here.

Quote Originally Posted by evagalour View Post
    Welcome huni and i hope you enjoy your stay here
    Good morning, Eva.

Cute play on words (Eva Gabor lol).
    That Gabor, along with her sisters Zsa Zsa and the third Gabor whose name slips my mind, were something else (sexy) back in the day, eh?

Thank you, for dropping in to offer your warm, Southern welcome, Miss Galour.
    I do hope i enjoy my stay here.

Babe,
    xoxo

Here's a silly, little video of me (from 2013) to wish Happy Holidays to everyone reading this.

Last edited by Dahlia Babe Ailhad; 12-04-2014 at 06:33 PM.
    "I just wish you'd shut the fuck up for a bit. You're a bit too self-important." - GroobySteven

"You are, indeed, the dumbest dipshit on the internet." - trish

"I can't stand Dahlia Babe Ailhad, I want to reach into my screen and grab the DBA by (its) neck and just squeeze tightly until it stops kicking." - AshlynCreamher

"You have been banned for the following reason:
    Derailing threads and absolutely irritation self promotion. Grow up." - HungAngels moderator

Red face Correction

Quote Originally Posted by and later edited Babe View Post

...Yuck! Squeeky cheese curd, mixed with greasy French fried potatoes covered with with cheap, canned BBQ gravy...

...You can eat that artery clogging crap if you want to. I won't. I tried it when it first came out and didn't like it - at all...

Ooops. Poutine was invented in 1957. I could not have had tried when it first came out.
    What i meant was, when i first had poutine i didn't like it, at all, not when it first came out on the market. Just wanted to clear that up.

Also, there is a Montréal-based poutine shop in Manhattan (i think), NYC, and it's becoming very popular. I forget the name of the place but all the food comes from Québec and it's the same thing as having the real deal Montréal poutine. Last i heard, it's operated by a Montréalais.
    So all you New Yorkers, if you want to try REAL Québecois poutine, just find the place and check it out. Be sure to write about it to say what you thought of the dish.

Babe,
    xoxo

From Google:
    Poutine (/puːˈtiːn/; French: [putin], Quebec French:[put͡sɪn]) is a common Canadian dish, originating in Quebec, made with french fries, topped with a light brown gravy-like sauce and cheese curds.[1] This fast food dish can now be found across Canada, and is also found in some places in the northern United States and even the United Kingdom, where it is sometimes required to be described due to its exotic nature.[2][3] It is sold in small "greasy spoon" type diners (commonly known as cantines or casse-croûtes in Quebec) and pubs, as well as by roadside chip wagons (commonly known as cabanes à patates, literally "potato shacks") and hockey arenas.[4] National and international chains like New York Fries,[5] McDonald's,[6] Wendy's,[7] A&W,[8] KFC,[9] Burger King,[10] and Harvey's[11] also sell mass-market poutine in Canada (although not always country-wide[12]).

Contents [hide]
    1 Origins
    1.1 Etymology
    2 Recipe
    2.1 Variations
    3 Similar dishes
    3.1 European variations
    4 Cultural aspect
    5 Acclaim
    6 In politics
    7 See also
    8 References
    9 External links
    Origins[edit]
    The dish originated in rural Quebec, Canada, in the late 1950s. Several Québécois communities claim to be the birthplace of poutine, including Drummondville (by Jean-Paul Roy in 1964),[13] Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu,[citation needed] and Victoriaville.[14] One often-cited tale is that of a restaurateur who is said to have exclaimed, "ça va faire une maudite poutine" ("it will make a damn mess") when asked by restaurant regular Eddy Lainesse to put a handful of curds on some french fries, hence the name.[4] The sauce was allegedly added later, to keep the fries warm longer. Over time the dish's popularity spread mainly across the province (and later throughout Canada), often served in small town restaurants, bars, as well as being quite popular in ski resorts.

Etymology[edit]
    The Dictionnaire historique du français québécois lists 15 different meanings of poutine in Quebec and Acadian French, most of which are for kinds of food; the word poutine in the meaning "fries with cheese and gravy" is dated to 1982.[15] Other senses of the word have been in use at least since 1810.[16]

While the exact provenance of the word "poutine" is uncertain, some attribute it to the English word pudding.[15] Among its various culinary senses, that of "a dessert made from flour or bread crumbs" most clearly shows this influence; the word pouding, borrowed from the English pudding, is in fact a synonym in this sense. The pejorative meaning "fat person" of poutine (used especially in speaking of a woman) is believed to derive from the English pudding "a person or thing resembling a pudding" or "stout, thick-set person".[17]

In other meanings of poutine, the existence of a relation to the English word pudding is uncertain. One of these additional meanings — the one from which the name of the dish with fries is thought to derive — is "unappetizing mixture of various foods, usually leftovers." This sense may also have given rise to the meaning "complicated business, complex organization; set of operations whose management is difficult or problematic."[citation needed]

The Dictionnaire historique mentions the possibility that the form poutine is simply a gallicization of the word pudding. However, it considers it more likely that it was inherited from regional languages spoken in France, and that some of its meanings resulted from the later influence of the similar-sounding English word pudding. It cites the Provençal forms poutingo "bad stew" and poutité "hodgepodge" or "crushed fruit or foods"; poutringo "mixture of various things" in Languedocien; and poutringue, potringa "bad stew" in Franche-Comté as possibly related to poutine. The meaning "fries with cheese and gravy" of poutine is among those held as probably unrelated to pudding provided the latter view is correct.[16]

According to Merriam-Webster, a popular etymology is that poutine is from a Quebecois slang word meaning "mess." [15]

Recipe[edit]

La Banquise in Montreal serves twenty-five different varieties of Quebec style poutine.[18]
    In the basic recipe for poutine, French fries are covered with fresh cheese curds, and topped with brown gravy. In a Quebec poutine:

French fries: Usually of medium thickness, and fried (sometimes doubly) so that the inside stays soft, while the outside is crispy.
    Cheese curds: Fresh cheese curds are used to give the desired texture. The curd size may vary but is usually slightly smaller than bite-sized.
    Brown gravy: Traditionally a light and thin chicken, veal, or turkey gravy, mildly spiced with a hint of pepper, or a sauce brune which is a combination of beef and chicken stock, a variant originating in Quebec. The gravy should be thin enough to easily filter down into the mass of fries and cheese curds. These sauces typically also contain vinegar or a sour flavouring to balance the richness of the cheese and fries. Traditional poutine sauces (mélange à sauce poutine) are sold in Quebec, Ontario, and Maritime grocery stores in jars or cans and in powdered mix packets. Recently, some outlets have begun to offer vegetarian gravy as an option to cater to vegetarians.[19]
    Heavy beef or pork-based brown gravies are rarely used. To maintain the texture of the fries, the cheese curd and gravy are added immediately prior to serving the dish. The hot gravy is usually poured over the cold cheese curds, so that the cheese is warmed without completely melting. It is important to control the temperature, timing and the order in which the ingredients are added, so as to obtain the right food textures which is an essential part of the experience of eating poutine.

Variations[edit]

Poutine made with thick beef gravy on French fried potatoes with fresh cheese curds. A style commonly found outside Quebec.
    There are many variations of poutine. Some restaurants offer poutine with such toppings as chicken, bacon, or Montreal-style smoked meat. Some such restaurants even boast dozens of variations of poutine.[20] For instance, more upscale poutine with three-pepper sauce, merguez sausage, foie gras[21] or even caviar and truffle can be found.[22] Some variations eliminate the cheese, but most Québécois would call such a dish a frite sauce ("french fries with sauce") rather than poutine. Shawinigan and some other regions have patate-sauce-choux where shredded raw cabbage replaces cheese. Fast food combination meals in Canada often have the option of getting french fries "poutinized" by adding cheese curds (or shredded cheese in the Prairies and Western Canada) and gravy.

Sweet potato has been used to be a healthy alternative to french fries. The idea of adding dietary fiber and vitamins in this classic dish is widely appraised by the public.[23] Crinkle-cut fries may be used as well.[4]

Outside Canada, poutine is found in northern border regions of the United States such as New England, the Pacific Northwest and the Upper Midwest. These regions offer further variations of the basic dish. Cheeses other than fresh curds are commonly used (most commonly mozzarella cheese), along with beef, brown or turkey gravy.[3] In the country culture especially, a mixed fry can also come with cooked ground beef on top and is referred to as a hamburger mix, though this is less popular than a regular mix.[24]

Last edited by Dahlia Babe Ailhad; 12-05-2014 at 08:34 AM.
    "I just wish you'd shut the fuck up for a bit. You're a bit too self-important." - GroobySteven

"I can't stand Dahlia Babe Ailhad, I want to reach into my screen and grab the DBA by (its) neck and just squeeze tightly until it stops kicking." - AshlynCreamher

Derailing threads and absolutely irritation self promotion. Grow up." - HungAngels moderator

Capricornblue Rookie Poster

Default Re: Hello. I am new here.

Yep a Capricorn that likes the blues, R&B, big band some jazz. Other than that just some guy that is fascinated with girls like yourself. Thanks for the tickle!

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Thumbs up Satisfaction Guaranteed

youtube.com/watch?v=R8jQA7i6tPM
    Mystery surrounds me, and I wonder where I'm goin'
    There's a cloud above me and it seems to hide the way
    I'm going straight ahead, 'cos it's the only way I know
    I wanna leave the past, and live just for today

Now then tell me baby, do you need my love?
    Tell me baby, are you thinkin' of me?
    Tell me baby, what it is you need?
    What kind of satisfaction guaranteed?

Sittin' in the gutter with my head wrapped in my hands
    I've been drinkin' all night, and I just can't stand the pain
    It took an awful lot of trouble just to make me understand
    Now it's clear to me, but will it ever be the same?

Head upon the highway, just as fast as I could go
    I rode through the night, and halfway through the day
    I had no direction I didn't even want to know where I was goin'
    The only thing I knew, was that I had to get away

Tell me baby, tell me baby, tell me baby
    Do you need my love?
    Now that I'm here, yeah
    Do you need, do you need my love?

Songwriters
    JIMMY PAGE, PAUL RODGERS
    Published by
    Lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.

Rookie Poster

Hi, Babe! Welcome aboard! I'm not a very common poster here, so you probably won't hear from me much. But thanks for lightening the mood here! A little humor goes a long way.
    I'm not Canadian, but I have some friends who are (Toronto-area, like you said, Ajax!). I've noticed that they will say it more like "a-boat", and "a-boot" seems to come from much further west. So, like, whatever. I like 'em all! (Accents, that is.)
    And good choice in songs. I got to see The Firm in Cleveland waay back when. Awesome show! Everyone talks about Jimmy Page, and they're right, but Paul Rodgers can keep right up with him or anyone else. Just amazing!
    Enough for now, it's past my bed time too...Again, welcome!

Red face Re: Hello. I am new here.

Hi rdude,

Wow, thank you so much for making such a special appearance just to welcome lil' ole' me.
    And thank you for such a nice welcome.
    I got a two-fer' with you!

(Golly gee willikers, they're coming out of the shadows to say hi to me.)

You were lucky to have seen The Firm seeing as they only put out two albums and folded, soon after.

I think Page would have had much more success, solo, after Zep, if he would have written more songs like Good Time Bad Times, Communication Breakdown, Black Dog and Heartbreaker instead of playing around with all the weird guitar tunings and using that annoying string-bender so much on so many songs.
    He broke out with those hard-driving, blues-based rock riffs, so i often wonder why he went astray and bargained that every Zep fan would have followed his rather odd musical "experiments". Stick to what works, right?
    Can you image AC/DC switching to some acoustic style after making their mark for decades as the AC/DC we all know and love? Instant flop!

Oh well. C'est la vie, on dit.

Rodgers will sound good no matter what he does because well, he's Paul Rodgers.
    The same way Robert Plant is WHO he IS. Although Plant was able to successfully morph into a whole new style. Good for him because i can't imagine Plant screeching in his golden years like when he was in his prime.

Guitarist have a much more difficult time going solo unless they are a Jeff Beck or a Steve Vai, who have their signature guitar styles and sounds, right?
    Page went way out into left field, and even now he's kind of stuck in that rut.

If you want to see a man who still has it, JUST LIKE when he was 19, do check out Mark Farner from Grand Funk Railroad. Dude, the man still has his voice (unlike Rod Stewart) after all these years.
    Check out Mark Farner's NrG in youtube. The only thing Mark lost over the years is his beautiful, LONG hair.

I think you deserve a pic for this rare appearance.

Yes, it's tucked between my soft thighs.
    IMG_2913oohlala.jpg Photo by da6is9 | Photobucket
    Wouldn't you just love to have a peek, boy? Hmm?

Babe,
    xoxo

pics?

You can clutch the past so tightly to your chest that it leaves your arms too full to embrace the present.

Exclamation pics?

Good morning FREEFALLL666,

Of what?

Can't you see i posted two pics in the last two posts? Click the links. The links work for me on my computer.
    There is, also, a pic below my posts and in my avatar.

Babe,
    xoxo

Professional Poster

Welcome to the HA board Babe.