Senior Member Platinum Poster nysprod's Avatar

Default Transgender FDNY firefighter — a third-generation smoke eater — tapped as poster chil

I was very impressed by the correct pronoun usage and overall respect that was shown in this article.

BY Eli Rosenberg
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Published: Monday, October 20, 2014, 7:16 PM

She is truly one of New York City’s Bravest.

The FDNY’s only transgender firefighter is earning fans around the world as the poster child for a global campaign to raise awareness for gay and transgender rights.

Brooke Guinan, a third-generation smoke eater who works and lives in Queens, decided to participate in the Vocal Organization for International Courage and Equality’s “So Gay So What” campaign to challenge perceptions about what it means to be a firefighter, she said.

“There’s such a pervasive feeling in the general attitude of society that firefighting is a job for straight men,” said Guinan, 27, of Astoria.

In the digital poster, Guinan stands with her hands proudly at her hips, wearing her fire gear and a “So Trans So What” shirt.

Guinan’s poster has been the social media campaign’s most popular since its Sept. 24 release, with more than 6,000 shares on Facebook and Twitter, according to co-founder Darren Melchiorre.

Read more HERE

4 out of 4 members liked this post.
    Phone keys gum condoms lube...I don’t want to be normal.

Junior Member Rookie Poster
    Alabama, USA Where the Southern Baptists rule

Default Re: Transgender FDNY firefighter — a third-generation smoke eater — tapped as poster

Wow hats off to her. Firefighting is justifiably a paramilitary activity, and that level of trust, common thinking and togetherness doesn't make it the easiest place for diversity, Particularly since every firehouse has to have the ability to get rid of people who can't cut it. It must have sucked to be her at first. OTOH, you know she has a drive to succeed.

One thing I will give firefighting- it's the ultimate anti-affirmative action workplace- Women have the same physical, mental, and task requirements as men. It took a hell of a lot of fighting with old males, females wanting in, a few females who made it not wanting to be second guessed, lawyers for both sides, and doctors and other experts, but thay finally came out with a physical fitness standard that is gender neutral, non gendered, and actually resembles the daily and emergency challenges of firefighting

ETA: Actually on second look, she looks like a truckman, which many firefighters would regard as the more elite, if not quite as much fun asignment. Definitally has higher requirements.

AL TS lover
    Former paid FF in college, and Vol FF

Last edited by AL TS Lover; 10-22-2014 at 05:41 PM.

Default Re: Transgender FDNY firefighter — a third-generation smoke eater — tapped as poster

Quote Originally Posted by AL TS Lover View Post
    ETA: Actually on second look, she looks like a truckman, which many firefighters would regard as the more elite, if not quite as much fun asignment. Definitally has higher requirements.

AL TS lover
    Former paid FF in college, and Vol FF
    Yeah, that would be bullshit. It's not higher, only different. I've crossed the floor many times in my 18 year career so I know both sides and the only thing that changes when I go to the truck is that my IQ drops 20% ...

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it ...

Junior Member Rookie Poster
    Alabama, USA Where the Southern Baptists rule

Quote Originally Posted by BBaggins06 View Post
    Yeah, that would be bullshit. It's not higher, only different. I've crossed the floor many times in my 18 year career so I know both sides and the only thing that changes when I go to the truck is that my IQ drops 20% ...
    In the South, you are a FF first. You have to have additional training to ride the truck (in most cases). Some get the training and prefer engines, some get stuck on the engines . Our FEMA Task Force LT is an engine LT, but he can do confined space rescue, Level 1 HAZMAT, Hi angle rescue, trench rescue, etc. He's a cert collector (and I'll admit I am too), but prefers putting out fires and cutting up vehicles.

If she was hanging one to her job, she wouldn't be on a truck, in my experience.