Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default Re: Watch Capt. Ron Johnson’s amazing Michael Brown speech

Quote Originally Posted by Ben in LA View Post
    This is how Black parents talk to their sons about the police. Every black person (not just males) I know have had this talk an have received it from their parents. So fuck that myth shit.
    Thanks for more anecdotal evidence...

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by notdrunk View Post
    Thanks for more anecdotal evidence...
    While you are demanding scientific evidence of others, you have conspicuously neglected to provide any peer reviewed and published documentation for your own claim, namely that not every African/American father talks with his son about the peculiar, troubled and often lethal relationship between the police and young black men. Just one documented, peer reviewed counterexample in a scientific journal would suffice to establish your claim. Until then it’s just your belief, which btw lacks even anecdotal evidence.

While I’m with you, regarding the veracity of that silly, simple minded claim (after all, there’s gotta be at least one irresponsible black father, right?) we both know that your initial meaning went beyond the literal interpretation. It was, after all, intended to confute the claim in Gawker (as referenced in Buttslinger's post), which everyone who read it knows wasn’t a claim about every single black man and his son. It’s clear to any speaker of the English language that universal quantification is only one interpretation of the word “every” or the word “any” or the word “everyone”.

The fallacy you made is known as equivocation. That you made it deliberately, does not speak well of your intellectual integrity nor your honesty more generally.

It’s really laughable that you now cower behind the trivial misconstrual after having pretended to the larger claim that the whole idea of the this long standing African/American ritual was mere myth. As bronco said, you have effectively conceded the larger point by choosing to divert attention upon the trivial.

Last edited by trish; 08-22-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10632679_10150445040979999_1113212632071947559_n.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	743730  

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    While you are demanding scientific evidence of others, you have conspicuously neglected to provide any peer reviewed and published documentation for your own claim, namely that not every African/American father talks with his son about the peculiar, troubled and often lethal relationship between the police and young black men. Just one documented, peer reviewed counterexample in a scientific journal would suffice to establish your claim. Until then it’s just your belief, which btw lacks even anecdotal evidence.

While I’m with you, regarding the veracity of that silly, simple minded claim (after all, there’s gotta be at least one irresponsible black father, right?) we both know that your initial meaning went beyond the literal interpretation. It was, after all, intended to confute the claim in Gawker (as referenced in Buttslinger's post), which everyone who read it knows wasn’t a claim about every single black man and his son. It’s clear to any speaker of the English language that universal quantification is only one interpretation of the word “every” or the word “any” or the word “everyone”.

The fallacy you made is known as equivocation. That you made it deliberately, does not speak well of your intellectual integrity nor your honesty more generally.

It’s really laughable that you now cower behind the trivial misconstrual after having pretended to the larger claim that the whole idea of the this long standing African/American ritual was mere myth. As bronco said, you have effectively conceded the larger point by choosing to divert attention upon the trivial.
    I simply know that every black father doesn't give a special talk about the police. Why would I make that claim?

The insinuation is that when a black father gives his son "THE TALK" it is not about the birds and bees, it is about the police. The assertion is false. Not all black fathers do that. Some black fathers do it. It was an insinuation that every black father does it. Nowhere in his original post he mentioned a Gawker article.

I called it bullshit, I didn't call it a myth.

The insinuation is that when a black father gives his son "THE TALK" it is not about the birds and bees, it is about the police.
    That's just an idiotic presumption on your part and once again a willful misconstrual of the claim. There no insinuation that the police talk substitutes for the sex talk, but rather it is as typical among African/American families as the sex talk.

I simply know
    Bullshit. You don't even have anecdotal evidence. Let's see the scientific proof in a peer reviewed journal. You're asking no less of others.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Junior Poster

That's just an idiotic presumption on your part and once again a willful misconstrual of the claim. There no insinuation that the police talk substitutes for the sex talk, but rather it is as typical among African/American families as the sex talk.

Bullshit. You don't even have anecdotal evidence. Let's see the scientific proof in a peer reviewed journal. You're asking no less of others.
    When did I say it replaced the sex talk? Nowhere. I simply replied to a condescending question. Here is the "smart" question, again:

When a Black Father gives his Son "THE TALK" it's not about the birds and bees, it's about the Po-lice, right?
    Here is my original reply:

Don't believe that "THE TALK" bullshit. There is no special talk between every black father and his child about the police.
    Where did I say that it replaced the sex talk or that it is a myth? I knew what he was talking about. I absolutely know that every black father doesn't give bring that subject up to his son(s). I can't help you got all defensive for some unknown reason.

In post #24:
    The insinuation is that when a black father gives his son "THE TALK" it is not about the birds and bees, it is about the police.
    Maybe you just have trouble expressing yourself, but that's describes the substitution of kind of talk for another.

I absolutely know
    No you don't ABSOLUTELY know. You insist on interpreting “every” in the strict sense of Predicate Logic, then it’s only reasonable to apply that same mathematical rigor to your interpretation of the phrase, “I absolutely know.”

Were you anyone else I might accept an anecdotal counterexample as sufficient proof of your claim, but you have already demonstrated your lack of honesty and willingness to deceive. If our use of anecdotal evidence doesn’t persuade you, why should we accept anecdotal evidence from a proven liar? Why should we accept the baseless assertion, "I absolutely know"?

Last edited by trish; 08-23-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Junior Poster

In post #24:Maybe you just have trouble expressing yourself, but that's describes the substitution of kind of talk for another.

No you don't ABSOLUTELY know. You insist on interpreting “every” in the strict sense of Predicate Logic, then it’s only reasonable to apply that same mathematical rigor to your interpretation of the phrase, “I absolutely know.”

Were you anyone else I might accept an anecdotal counterexample as sufficient proof of your claim, but you have already demonstrated your lack of honesty and willingness to deceive. If our use of anecdotal evidence doesn’t persuade you, why should we accept anecdotal evidence from a proven liar? Why should we accept the baseless assertion, "I absolutely know"?
    THE TALK as the major talk given by a father to his son. That is why "THE TALK" is capitalized. The assertion was the major talk given by a black father to his son was about the police and the criminal justice system. While the major talk given by the white father to his son was about sex. I challenged that assertion. It doesn't mean the sex talk goes away for the black family. The black father still gives the sex talk to his son. You are trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

It is odd that you know over 44 million people. Apparently, those 44 million people are the same on this issue. If somehow they don't follow your belief on this issue, there is something odd with them. By the way, did I ever mention my ethnic background in this thread?

My original statement still stands: Not all black fathers give a special talk about the police to their sons. This thread has been derailed because of you for no reason. I find it strange that my statement seems shocking enough that it elicits a lot of negative vibes from you.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

The assertion was the major talk given by a black father to his son was about the police and the criminal justice system. While the major talk given by the white father to his son was about sex. I challenged that assertion.
    Finally you make a substantial claim (assuming you no longer insist on the strict interpretation of the quantifier) and you make it with good manners. Thank you. Can you substantiate it with anything other than anecdotal evidence?

Junior Poster

Finally you make a substantial claim (assuming you no longer insist on the strict interpretation of the quantifier) and you make it with good manners. Thank you. Can you substantiate it with anything other than anecdotal evidence?
    I can feel the love in your post...

Anecdotal evidence is sufficient enough to support my claim because the assertion makes a generalization that black fathers have sort of talk about the police with their sons. It is a fallacy. The assertion is false because I didn't receive this so-called talk from my father. I am pretty sure I am not the only one. Actually, it is kinda of impossible. And, by the way, my father wasn't irresponsible by not talking to me about the police. Why? So far, I never had an issues with the police and the criminal justice system. I wonder why...

Then again, I did have to sit in the jury room from early morning until late afternoon doing nothing. I guess I can complain that the criminal justice system made my butt sore from sitting in a chair.