Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Я Люблю Вас Ulyana, я Люблю только Вас ... теперь и для остальной части моей жизни.

Junior Poster

2005 American Temperament Test Results
    Pit Bulls are often victims of prejudice and discrimination. Responsible Pit Bull owners and their dogs will help restore the image of the breed.

In 2005 at the American Temperament Test, Pit Bull dogs achieved a combined passing score of 83.8%.

American Pit Bull Terrier: 515 tested 83.5% passed
    American Staffordshire Terrier: 503 tested 83.3% passed
    Staffordshire Bull Terrier: 59 tested 84.7% passed
    Total 1077 tested 83.8% passed

To put this in perspective, consider:

All Breeds: 26,615 tested 81.2% passed
    Collie: 801 tested 79.0% passed
    Golden Retriever: 679 tested 83.7% passed

Pit Bulls Make Great Partners!

To Learn More About the American Temperament Test Society Click Here

About Canine Temperament

Because of breed-specific dog legislation and negative publicity associated with many breeds of dogs, temperament testing has assumed an important role for today's dog fancier. The American Temperament Test provides breeders a means for evaluating temperament and gives pet owners insight into their dog's behavior. It can have an impact on breeding programs and in educating owners about their dog's behavioral strengths and weaknesses as well as providing a positive influence on dog legislation.

What is temperament?

W. Handel, German Police Dog Trainer, in his article, "The Psychological Basis of Temperament Testing," defines temperament as:"the sum total of all inborn and acquired physical and mental traits and talents which
    determines, forms and regulates behavior in the environment"

The ATTS test focuses on and measures different aspects of temperament such as stability, shyness, aggressiveness, and friendliness as well as the dog's instinct for protectiveness towards its handler and/or self-preservation in the face of a threat. The test is designed for the betterment of all breeds of dogs and takes into consideration each breed's inherent tendencies.

The test simulates a casual walk through the park or neighborhood where everyday life situations are encountered. During this walk, the dog experiences visual, auditory and tactile stimuli. Neutral, friendly and threatening situations are encountered, calling into play the dog's ability to distinguish between non-threatening situations and those calling for watchful and protective reactions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bluepitpup_135.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	50978  

Quote Originally Posted by seanj
    you wanna talk about clarity of though? lol how bout the words ignorant and misinformed...do they mean anything to you?
    LMAO… In the future, when seeking to refute someone’s assertion that your point lacks clarity of thought, it might help your argument if you can first properly spell “thought.” Furthermore, when throwing out implications that one is “ignorant,” you might want to first look at your own semi-literate presentation.

So far as being “misinformed” is concerned, you have yet to put forth an even remotely cogent argument regarding the statistically proven issues with the APBT. The research backing the San Francisco Chronicle’s article was thorough, accurate, and extensive. Contrary to your assertion that it represents “bullshit anti pit bull propaganda,” the study in question wasn’t even focused on the APBT. As such, your assertion is simply ridiculous. Oh, and for what it’s worth, the pictures you keep posting are the very definition of propaganda. Once again, excellent clarity of thought.

i dont wanna go back and forth with this....i posted this here for people who are interested in helping the breed by signing the peitition....you want to ban the breed....fine.
    Agreed. However, in the future, if you want to put forth poorly supported points without having them challenged, stick to talking to your dog.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Quote Originally Posted by MacShreach
    The key sentence here is

"After a rash of unsettling incidents—including a tornado of eight unleashed pit bulls swirling across the park and the savage mangling of our neighbor's small mutt by another loose pit bull—we decided this was no place for a baby, and we left."

The criminal isnt the dog(s),its the morons who unleash them and allow them to terrorize a neighborhood.
    These guys make big $ off of fighting their dogs,of course only if they have the biggest meanest most destructive dog in the ring.So how do they do this you maybe wondering.
    You start by giving the dog ultra hot pepper sauce in their food at a very early age.Then after that,you bump them up to gunpowder in their food(I shit you not)...then after they have hit about 10 months you start pumping them full of testosterone and other steroids.you add in a healthy dose of abuse and when you want to give your animal a little fight training you tie a mutt to a tree and turn him loose and give a sense of what he is supposed to do to other dogs.
    Fact of the matter is you take this formula and use it on ANY breed and you willl have a vicious dog on your hands.Sadly once a dog becomes like this there is little chance of un corruptiing him.But to lump all pits into the same class as these abused and unsupervised animals is stupid,uninformed and naive to reality.

Eradicate the abusive dog owner snd your problem is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Asia
    The key sentence here is

"After a rash of unsettling incidents—including a tornado of eight unleashed pit bulls swirling across the park and the savage mangling of our neighbor's small mutt by another loose pit bull—we decided this was no place for a baby, and we left."

The criminal isnt the dog(s),its the morons who unleash them and allow them to terrorize a neighborhood.
    These guys make big $ off of fighting their dogs,of course only if they have the biggest meanest most destructive dog in the ring.So how do they do this you maybe wondering.
    You start by giving the dog ultra hot pepper sauce in their food at a very early age.Then after that,you bump them up to gunpowder in their food(I shit you not)...then after they have hit about 10 months you start pumping them full of testosterone and other steroids.you add in a healthy dose of abuse and when you want to give your animal a little fight training you tie a mutt to a tree and turn him loose and give a sense of what he is supposed to do to other dogs.
    Fact of the matter is you take this formula and use it on ANY breed and you willl have a vicious dog on your hands.Sadly once a dog becomes like this there is little chance of un corruptiing him.But to lump all pits into the same class as these abused and unsupervised animals is stupid,uninformed and naive to reality.

I agree that there are no bad dogs, only bad owners, but all the bull-terriers are very difficult dogs to keep and prone to developing bad habits, aggression being one of them, even without the aids you describe. A dog like that needs a LOT of attention and exercise, and most of the zingos that own them don't bother (might wear out their $250 snaekers.....)

At the bit, a tough selective owner-licensing system is the fairest answer, but it's so expensive it's out, as Quinn says. I do feel sorry for the legit owners especially because the goonos will inevitably find something else to pervert.

Actually I have been attacked more often by collies than any other breed, and in a passing conversation with my postie this morning after I read the first post, he agreed!

Junior Poster

[quote="DJ_Asia"]
    uh-huh.

yes the dog is the one who is the victim in all of this. if it was in their nature to go around attacking and biting people then the dog is the problem. but thats not the case. it is the dog owner who does these things to the dog to make them vicious. your right, this could be done with any breed. to do this to a pit, who is already stonger, quicker, more muscular, more athletic than other breeds, makes things than much worse. the fact is the the pit bulls are not only the physical specimins that other dogs are not, they also have a better temperment and are less likely to bite a person than other breeds. remember that from the begining this dog was a strong bite inhibition towards humans.

it can get very frustrating to argue these points to people who dont care to know the truth or are just too ignorant to comprehend the problem. most of these people have their own agenda and could care less about the dog. the most over the top thing ive heard was someone saying that pits are good dogs but they should be exterminated anyway because a few abusive dog owners can turn them vicious...unbelievable...but these are the kind of morons that pit bulls and their families deal with and face the prejudice everyday.

http://www.pitbullproblem.tk/

Junior Poster

Я Люблю Вас Ulyana, я Люблю только Вас ... теперь и для остальной части моей жизни.

Platinum Poster

Actually I have been attacked more often by collies than any other breed, and in a passing conversation with my postie this morning after I read the first post, he agreed!
    That's interesting, I've owned two collie's in the past, and while they are great family dogs, they do tend to be territorial...mine were aggressive toward other dogs, mail and delivery men, and also loved to chase cars on the quiet street that I grew up on...but I still think that they're a wonderful breed and make great family pets...as long as you have a big yard with a high fence...

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Poe

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Arianna
    Quote Originally Posted by Arianna
    I love my friend's two Pits, but I've known them since they were puppies. Generally though, I don't trust them. Too many of them have been raised by sociopaths.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...aulgallery.DTL
    thats too bad.....when you say that you dont trut them are you talking about your friends 2 dogs? or you dont trust pits in general?
    No. My friend's two pits adore me, and I know it. What I'm saying is that I don't trust the average owner of the breed. It's been my experience that pit owners sometimes have questionable motives for aquiring their dogs. And, of course, a dogs' temperment is usually a direct reflection of their owner's. In my friend's case, that's a good thing. However, when a pit's been raised by a gangbanger, a skinhead, a biker, or a klansman, there's a very good chance that the dog is dangerous and/or a little nuts. And, unfortunately, those are not such uncommon scenarios in south FL.
    that is true...some of these owners want a dog that is a vicous, tough looking dog....they seek out pits, rots, dobies,german sheppards, mastifs,ect.....they could take a golden retriever and do the same thing but of course that just wouldnt cut it.
    the only thing i would say is that the majority of pit owners are not that way...they are like your friend...and most of these dogs are part of loving caring famalies....but the gang bangers, thugs and dog fighters do play a big part in damaging the image of an otherwise great breed.

take a look at this......http://www.pitbullproblem.tk/