Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Junior Poster

Default off topic...California law to ban/exterminate Pit Bulls

there are already a few places like miami and denver that have a ban on the american pit bull terrier....these bans are base ignorance and mis information about the breed....i can tell you that the pit bull is one of the friendlies, most loyal, loving, family dog there is...if you know the breed you know what i'm talking about.

sign the petition...it only takes a min. and makes a difference.

http://www.petitiononline.com/NOBSL/petition.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14603_838.jpg 
Views:	2195 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	50949   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11404_766.jpg 
Views:	2197 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	50950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	421736800_l_753.jpg 
Views:	2195 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	50951  

Junior Poster

pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30405_187.jpg 
Views:	2190 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	50952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wedsadie_979.jpg 
Views:	2188 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	50953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sorrypup_141.jpg 
Views:	2222 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	50954  

Default Re: off topic...California law to ban/exterminate Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by seanj
    there are already a few places like miami and denver that have a ban on the american pit bull terrier....these bans are base ignorance and mis information about the breed....i can tell you that the pit bull is one of the friendlies, most loyal, loving, family dog there is...if you know the breed you know what i'm talking about.

sign the petition...it only takes a min. and makes a difference.

http://www.petitiononline.com/NOBSL/petition.html

You're right. They are a loyal, friendly, and family-orented dog. Unfortunately, many of people who buy them are wannabe thug scumbags who train them to behave otherwise. So far as I'm concerned, anything that deprives said people of a possible weapon is a good thing. As an animal lover I hate to say it, but I am for banning them.

-Quinn

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    You're right. They are a loyal, friendly, and family-orented dog. Unfortunately, many of people who buy them are wannabe thug scumbags who train them to behave otherwise. So far as I'm concerned, anything that deprives said people of a possible weapon is a good thing. As an animal lover I hate to say it, but I am for banning them.

-Quinn

-Quinn
    If you ban Pit Bulls, wouldn't these needle dick gangbangers get another type of fighting dog? I had an Akita that lived to be 13 and the guy was my best buddy. But, in the wrong hands, this 125 lb beast would be extremely dangerous. I raised him with love and never encouraged him to be agressive. His natural instincts were all the protection that I needed and he was never a threat to anyone unless they were up to no good. Besides me, his best friends were my 3 cats that he slept and played with.

Junior Poster

-Quinn

-Quinn[/quote]

what you said makes no sense. most pit bulls are owned by caring responsible owners. of course there is a small minority of scum that will take these dogs and train them to be mean and fight. but that is a small minority. statistics on dog attacks on humans show that the pit bull is only responsible for about 2% of all the attacks. the problem is those are the ones the media likes to hype up.
    you said that you know pits are great, friendly, loving dogs but ban them anyway????? do you know what would happen to those banned dogs??? most of them would be put to death.......punish the owners of these and other breeds.....dont punish the dogs....its not their fault.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

punish the owners of these and other breeds.....dont punish the dogs....its not their fault.
    Amen brother. Making dogs fight is a form of animal cruelty and the law should really take it seriously. If you started locking people up in prison for a couple of years, the "sport" of dog fighting might go away. I hate people that are cruel to animals.

What you said makes no sense. most pit bulls are owned by caring responsible owners. of course there is a small minority of scum that will take these dogs and train them to be mean and fight. but that is a small minority.
    It may be a "small" minority in your little corner of the world, but in the inner city neighborhoods where I do gentrification related investing, they are nearly as common as sagging pants and illiteracy -- with many of them being trained.

As for comparisons between this breed and any other, you have to be kidding. You may as well be comparing an M1 Abrams Tank to a Yugo.

Some related info:

Pit bulls at top of fatal attacks 20-year study finds kids under 14 suffer 42% of bite injuries -- 3 of 4 involve family pet.

Attacks by pit bulls accounted for about a third of the 238 fatal dog attacks in the United States during a 20-year study, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Pit bulls were blamed for killing 76 people, or 32 percent, during a study of dog attacks from 1979-1998, the study showed. Rottweilers were the second most deadly animal, reportedly killing 44 people, or 18.5 percent, during the same period.

About 4.7 million people are bitten every year by dogs, resulting in about 12 fatalities a year, according to the federal statistics. About 500,000 to 800,000 dog bites require medical treatment annually.

Children, according to the 2000 federal study, are the most vulnerable victims in dog attacks. Those under the age of 14 account for 42 percent of dog bite injuries. The highest rate of injuries was to children between the ages of 5 and 9.

Of the 27 people who died in from dog bites, 19 were children under the age of 15. The animal responsible for 3 out of 4 injuries involving youth under the age of 14 is the family dog.

Janis Bradley, an instructor in the academy for dog trainers at San Francisco's Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, said the number of dog bites pales in comparison to other health threats like car accidents, which claim about 38,000 lives a year. When attacks occur, she said, people rush to criticize some dogs as threats to family safety.

"Prudent measures can be taken to decrease the levels of attacks we do have, but there are many other injuries that present a more important threat to public health," Bradley said. "Almost anything you can think of."

Carl Friedman, director of San Francisco's Animal Care and Control, said that although he does not want to condemn an entire breed, local and national statistics support taking steps to regulate pit bulls, such as mandatory neutering.

"When you have a mauling where a 12-year-old child is killed and when 50 to 60 percent of our hearings for vicious and dangerous animals are for pit bulls, you don't have to be a brain surgeon to see we have a problem with pit bulls," Friedman said

San Fanciso Chronicle

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Junior Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn
    What you said makes no sense. most pit bulls are owned by caring responsible owners. of course there is a small minority of scum that will take these dogs and train them to be mean and fight. but that is a small minority.
    It may be a "small" minority in your little corner of the world, but in the inner city neighborhoods where I do gentrification related investing, they are nearly as common as sagging pants and illiteracy -- with many of them being trained.

As for comparisons between this breed and any other, you have to be kidding. You may as well be comparing an M1 Abrams Tank to a Yugo.

-Quinn
    first of all i live in the inner city and have all my life...the backyard breeders and dog fighters are a problem...but they are the ones who should be punished, not the innocent dogs.

and it doesnt sound like you know much about the breed....pits by nature are very people friendly...in fact if you look more into the breed they dont even make good watch dogs because its not in their nature to be viscous towards people or territorial....and you want to advocate exterminating this breed because of a few scumbag owners train them to be viscous

here is a link to the american temperment society....they test the temperments of all dogs...and pits rate higher than most other breeds.

http://www.atts.org/statistics.htm

Junior Poster

that is some of the most misinformed bullshit i have ever seen.....its really not even worth commenting on but i will.

The facts are pitbulls do NOT have the highest bite rate and score higher on temperament tests than most all dogs.

That bullshit you posted is nothing more than babble.

if you dont like pits that cool...get a golden retriever.....but there is no reason post some bullshit anti pit bull propaganda.

sometimes people with certain agendas take things out of context, twist them around, manipulate cetain facts, ect., all so they can come to a conclusion that is not factual.

if your really interested in getting to know the truth about the american pit bull terrier, take the time to read up on the breed....u will most likely be suprised at what you find.

Rookie Poster

Can this thread be moved to another section of the forum as it is off topic? I know you want your post to be seen but please have a little more respect for the forums and its organization...