Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

Default The Perfect Breakfast

I just went and got some breakfast, but it wasn't at the place I had intended to eat at. My primary destination was this place called Peter's Grill. It's a big place, been around for like sixty years or so, even has an autographed picture of Bill Clinton eating a sandwhich or some damn thing, hanging on the wall. It's also never busy on weekends, which is why I like it. No waiting for a table, just walk in and sit down.

But I get up to the door and it's locked. Sign on door reads: "Will Be Closed 4th July Weekend". I'm thinking "did I travel back in time or something?", look at my phone and notice that it is indeed July 8th. I think it's kinda odd, but whatever, and turn to leave when this guy approaches me on the sidewalk.

Guy: "The're still closed! I've been coming here ever day this week, and it's never open anymore! Do you think they closed for good? I emailed the Downtown Tribune and they told me they were going to investigate! Are you a regular?"

Me: "Uh, no. Well, not really."

Then the guy starts going on and on about how he's eaten here every week for decades and just starts acting crazy. I start walking away from him and he follows along beside me. I'm thinking "oh fuckin great, now this madman is going to want to have breakfast with me. I'll have to ditch the guy somehow. . ."

The guys still blabbing on and on, and as we pass a newspaper box, another guy looks up and asks the guy "Is it true? Did they close Peter's Grill?!" My lucky break. As those two begin to talk, I dodge into a building and wait for them to disappear. I just couldn't believe it, it's not like the food was that great, which is of course why it's possible to always get a table. Well, it was before they closed, I suppose.

Anyhoo, it got me thinking. I almost always have one of three breakfasts: 1) Scrambled eggs, toast, bacon and hashbrowns, 2) pancakes and bacon or 3) French Toast and . . . correct, bacon once again. Pretty All American.

I was wondering what other people think is the ideal breakfast. People from all over the country, all over the world, post on this forum, so I'd thought it would be interesting to hear what other types of breakfasts are out there.

Meat and patatas, generally. Especially at hotel buffets, where I wisely dine on the more expensive fare to feel as though I've actually accomplished a coup against pricey eats.

Love bacon, especially maple cured. Gives the house a lovely aroma that lasts for hours. There is a galssblowing shop/museum/restaurant in Chester County that I stumbled on during a random Sunday drive once. Walking in from the chill, winter air, I first felt the warmth of the furnace in the shop and then smelled the most excellent aroma of bacon coming from the restaurant. Mmmm. Cooked right, it is never crisp, yet full of flavor. Sausage, links or patties, or Canadian bacon ('Back bacon' if you're in the north country).

Hash browns, or home fries, crisp, not too greasy. Maybe cinnamon toast or English muffin (Toasted or grilled - They grill them in New England). Sometimes a waffle, though rarely pancakes (I like crunchy food). Lots of butter (Not margarine) and enough syrup to flavor them.

Juice, of course, pineapple preferred (Though strangely absent from many restaurants - A hotel I regularly stay at now makes a point to have a carafe ready for my visit ). Orange, apple, cranberry/cranapple. Many cwawfee, hi-test. Leave the pot. Lots of cream.

This all stirs a memory. Some years back I spent a lovely night with a longtime friend/GGG (Gay GG) and in the morning awoke to the incredible aroma of bacon in the cool air of the New England morning. I was surprised and significantly impressed that this woman had remembered the details that I've listed above and will never forget how she made that morning so special. *Sigh* (E may remember my tales of this woman ).

*Whuf!* That was nice.

Anyway...My current dietary habits would make the average medical professional pale with horror, yet I try to have at least one, nice breakfast (That I actually cook myself, with no hand-holding or calls to the fire company) on the weekends I am home. Thank gawd for pop-n-fresh biscuits.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

5 Star Poster

Lox and bagels. Coffee. Preferably eaten in bed with Patricia Araujo or Fabiane Spears. Extra cream cheese removal with tongues.

Then a joint and a walk to the waterfront of your choice.

Perfect morning.

Oh, well, if it's breakfast with =company=...

Lisa
    Natassia
    Yasmin
    Allanah
    Angela
    Mint
    Nancy
    Bruna
    Vicki

Oy, the list goes on and on.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Junior Poster

Я Люблю Вас Ulyana, я Люблю только Вас ... теперь и для остальной части моей жизни.

Professional Poster

2 cups of cofe and sometimes a white bread whit chese
    Earlier i have also 2 cigaretts, but this I have stop whit.

A Very Grooby Guy Platinum Poster GroobySteven's Avatar

Handful of steelcut oats
    2tblspoons of flax seed
    handful or organic rolled oats.
    Cook in water for about 7 mins.

Add frozen berries (no sugar).
    Cook 2 mins.

Take gloop and put into a bowl - add 1/2 sliced banana and spoon of low-fat yoghurt.

Eat. Take a great shit (as there will another on it's way after this) and know you're keeping your insides working.

Sundays:
    2 Cumberland Sausages
    2 fried eggs.
    2 slices of Black Pudding.
    3 rashers of smoked back bacon.
    Baked Beans (Heinz)
    Fried Portobello
    Whole Wheat Toast
    2 Pots of PG Tips.

Eat. Feel your arteries close and promise yourself a run later.

My girlfriend's preferred breakfast - which I also love.
    Rice soup with preserved egg, salted fish, spring onions and white pepper.

seanchai

Banned again for being a jizzmop, oh well! Gold Poster

I agree with everyone in regards to the healthy stuff, like oats, oatmeal, fruit, seaweed, all that stuff. I just can't eat it. I take a fistfull of vitamin supplements and then just unleash anti-nutritional hell on my body.

A person has to toughen those organs up. I mean, come on, I don't even really know what's in the water I drink. Those scientist better keep making those pills or I'm in trouble.

But B1 (or beardy) nailed the perfect breakfast atmosphere. The smell of bacon, and good maple syrup. Personally, I don't feel good about maple syrup (there probably is no worse thing to come in contact with human teeth), but it's so damn tasty. I just head home and brush my teeth immediately after breakfast.

Pancakes are awesome, but potential cavaties suck. I like my teeth.

The new state motto of Vermont: "We Make Holes In Teeth!"

Crepes are my absolute favorite thing to eat for breakfast -- with Eggs Benedict running a fairly close second. Scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese and fresh cooked roles aren't too bad either. That's for the weekends. On the weekdays, it's usually something healthy that doesn't taste nearly as good.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianna
    Quote Originally Posted by seanchai

My girlfriend's preferred breakfast - which I also love.
    Rice soup with preserved egg, salted fish, spring onions and white pepper.

seanchai
    That sounds interesting..
    I thought so too. It almost sounds like a Russian dish.

-Quinn

Life is essentially one long Benny Hill skit punctuated by the occasional Anne Frank moment.