Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ... 192425262728293031323334 LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: Fuck the Police State

It occurred to me that the campus of the University of Cincinnati is broken into two or three islands with city in between. One of the islands is a newly acquired medical research complex. This may have contributed to a felt need for the campus police to patrol the "waters" between the islands.

Public police forces everywhere are feeling the pressure of the private sector: http://nyti.ms/1IN9VSF

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Silver Poster

If I were black, I might see compliance as UncleTomance, Whitey is bad enough, but Whitey with a badge and gun is too much!
    I don't think a dozen moronic white cops doth a conspiracy make, but if it sets off nationwide demonstrations and riots, there is certainly something rotten in Denmark.

But I would have to believe that most of the time a ticket is just a ticket and most asshole cops don't even realize they're assholes.

I remember when the hippies hired the Hells Angels to police the Altamont concert, that was the end of the Woodstock Nation.

I see no solution.

World Class Asshole

Gold Poster

The problem is that police officers profile, and the profile is not based on particular circumstances but broad generalizations. I can tell you that the difference between my treatment by officers is about two fold better than it was when I was twenty. My treatment by officers is also better now that I own a slightly nicer car. When my previous car was keyed and looked like shit, I got pulled over more often. Yet none of these things changed my risk of committing a crime or being a danger to anyone.

Officers seem to have a profile of a young black male as being worthy of suspicion. It is unfair because nobody responds well to harassment and the people they are harassing have done nothing wrong. This ingrained stereotype, combined with reckless misuse of authority, is resulting in tragedies. It's a difficult problem to address because it is occurring across departments....but officers should be trained to treat members of the public with respect and not to engage in arbitrary displays of authority.

The Cincinnati officer is a great example of this last premise. If you listen to the video, you can hear him acting like a complete dickhead before he shoots Mr. Dubose without any cause whatsoever. Mr. Dubose tells him he is a licensed driver but does not have the license with him and the officer seems determined to quibble over the terminology before accusing him of having a suspension. It is a big leap from being rude to pulling out your gun and shooting someone for no reason but somehow I think they must be related. It is the belief that officers can bully members of the public for the perceived greater good that results in them severely misusing their authority and pulling out their guns.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

I don't even get FOX NEWS on my cable service anymore, (am I going to miss Trump Thursday night!! oh no!!)
    summer TV is too boring to even turn on, so I'm missing a lot of the stuff about these shootings, sounds like a cut and dried manslaughter conviction for said Cincinnati Cop.

I used to drive to an INFAMOUS tittie bar in Maryland, back then you could buy a Budweiser in a can for a couple bucks, and you could get an early version of a lap dance for one or two dollars. There was a fast food place almost next door, but you had to loop around on the divided highway for less than a hundred yards, so as I was I circling to go get some coffee and chill for a while before my drive, this hot shit state cop pulls me over for DUI, when I hadn't even probably got up to 25mph!! He was obviously sitting across the street from said notorious tittie bar to look for tipsy drivers with out of state plates. I was furious, I thought I passed my field test, at the police station, I blew just over the intoxicated number, I think it was 1.0 back then, and when we got to the Magistrate in the Jail Bldg, I was telling the Magistrate this cop was an asshole, I wanted a blood test, and the Magistrate sided with the cop of course, I was just one more belligerent drunk. In the back seat cage of the police car, I could see the speedometer of the cop car going 30 miles over the limit as he carted me off to the slam. I was chewing nails by that point. ...Fuckin' Cops.

On the TV show BAIT CAR, they don't drop the bait car off in the white suburbs, they drop in off in gangbanger territory. It usually takes about 5 minutes before some black or Hispanic dude hops in the car and speeds off. When the cops pull them over, EVERY ONE of them says "I was moving it for the lady" or "I was taking it to the police station"

When Black Harvard University professor Henry Louis Gates got back from a trip to China, he had to force his front door open, somebody called the cops and said "Some Jig is breaking into a real nice House!!!""
    When the cops got there they treated this Harvard Professor like a criminal, and President Obama was very vocal about asshole cops jumping to conclusions, it led to the BEERGATE summit meeting on the White House lawn.
    What's a brother got to do to stop being hassled by THE MAN?????!!!!
    Move to the Middle East, I guess.

When I lived in a bad neighborhood, black kids broke into my house twice and stole my stuff, even little kids would walk in!!!!!
    My car was spray painted, my fence was broken all the time. etc etc etc.

I moved to a more expensive neighborhood, and the only problem I ever had was signing the mortgage check every month.

I don't think UNDERSTANDING is the solution here, I think people pretty much understand what's going on. When people on this site see a picture of Ben in L.A. walking down the street with a famous TS superstar on each arm, there is great admiration and envy when they say.....
    "How the Fuck did that Black Bastard score those two chicks?????!!!!!!"
    But all of Iowa says........
    "Why isn't that black bastard in jail yet?"
    Is there anyone who really doesn't understand this?

World Class Asshole

Senior Member Platinum Poster

One of the problems which you have in the USA, which we also have in the UK, is what happens after someone has been arrested if they are not also shot dead at the time, and that is sending people to prison. I think that one of the reasons why Sandra Bland may have killed herself is not just that she was in the County Jail when she was not a threat to anyone and when she was not going to disappear because she was committed to a job in Texas, but that she may have believed her chances of being sent to prison were high because she was Black, and for her that was in effect a death sentence. In addition, although I cannot prove it is the case, I wonder how many people who have two convictions when pulled over by an officer are thrown into a panic because they realise if they are arrested, charged, tried and found guilty they will spend the rest of their lives in prison, and have nothing to lose so crank up the confrontation with the arresting officer.

Prison should be reserved for those people who are a threat to themselves and to others, and alternative forms of punishment should be found for others such as shoplifting, fraud or being in possession of narcotics for personal use. I believe the prison industry in the USA is now worth something like $37 billion a year most of which is taxpayer's money going to private companies who clearly would not be in business if there were no 'customers' or 'clients'. But we now have a proposal in the UK to prosecute landlords who let property to illegal immigrants and then sending them to jail as punishment -a proposal so daft I don't expect it to ever become law, but why is there an obsession with locking people up when there are other ways of dealing with offences against the law?

I wonder if prison time does not destroy lives, rather than rehabilitate convicted offenders. And when you look at some of the crimes that land people in jail for years and years, you wonder if it is really justice. Time for 'three strikes and you're out' to be re-considered.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

I think it's a safe bet that THE JUDGE who throws the bottom social caste into the slammer has gotten the OK sign from the pencil pushers who figure the bottom feeders are already on welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, and any other social program they can qualify for. CRIME#ONE in the USA is not paying Uncle Sam his cut.
    While prisons might cost 37 billion, Criminals are known for not liking to pay their taxes, and we want our citizens to buy stuff that can get taxed again and again, not drugs and pussy and stolen merchandise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	865045  

World Class Asshole

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post

When I lived in a bad neighborhood, black kids broke into my house twice and stole my stuff, even little kids would walk in!!!!!
    My car was spray painted, my fence was broken all the time. etc etc etc.

I moved to a more expensive neighborhood, and the only problem I ever had was signing the mortgage check every month.

I don't think UNDERSTANDING is the solution here, I think people pretty much understand what's going on.
    You're experience in 'the hood', is an important to me, in that it is an example of what our youth need to learn. And that is, how crime in the hood, is hurting the community and the entire race. It can even be shown with numbers-dollars. If you stayed in the hood, you would have probably stopped at neighbor hood store, or a close gas station, a bite to eat, such as, fast food. So crimes helped to drive your money out of the hood. One could estimate what you may have spent in the hood, vs the amount someone got for the stuff they stole from you. The key the need to understanding, is that people are potential, as well their present self, among other important things. The community would have benefitted much more if the youth had introduced you, to their sisters. The concepts of networking and accumulation of wealth should be at least introduced, to youth. While racism is a terrible thing, the reality is self love would accomplish more, and eventually reduce the rationale for racism. I plan on taking action, on putting something real in place. It can make a difference, if it spread, I believe.

Love you Tempest. Couldn't agree more. It's not the party but the status quote. They have both aligned with Big Biz over time and play us like a cheap recorder. As long as we feed on what is fed to us,...?

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

This evening's enlightening PBS interview with two chiefs of police (Milwaukee and St. Louis)

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/videos/#152286

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    I think it's a safe bet that THE JUDGE who throws the bottom social caste into the slammer has gotten the OK sign from the pencil pushers who figure the bottom feeders are already on welfare, food stamps, Medicaid, and any other social program they can qualify for. CRIME#ONE in the USA is not paying Uncle Sam his cut.
    While prisons might cost 37 billion, Criminals are known for not liking to pay their taxes, and we want our citizens to buy stuff that can get taxed again and again, not drugs and pussy and stolen merchandise.
    You might want to give this issue more thought by asking if incarceration is actually costing the US taxpayer more than food stamps. Setting aside the more general economic argument that if people had jobs on a living wage they would not only not be claiming food stamps or welfare but be net contributors to the US economy, your own country provides a range of statistics, such as:

According to the U.S. Bureau of Prisons, the average annual cost of incarceration in Federal prisons in 2010 was $28,284 per inmate. That cost is reduced at the Federal Community Corrections Centers; in 2010 the annual cost was $25,838.

According to the California Legislative Analyst's Office, the annual cost of incarceration in the Golden State in 2009 was $47,102 per year. To arrive at this figure, California analysts took into account the cost of security, health care, operations, administration, support, and rehabilitation programs. Annual costs per inmate in California have almost doubled since the beginning of the 21st century.
    The cost of incarceration climbs according to the level of security. The Supermax federal prison in Colorado spends about $60,000 per year to keep inmates in permanent isolation. The most expensive American prison is located in Cuba: Housing an inmate in Guantanamo Bay costs taxpayers approximately $900,000 per year.
    According to the Vera Institute of Justice, the average cost of housing an inmate in the U.S. was $31,286 in 2012. New York had the highest cost at $31,286 and Kentucky the lowest at $14,603.
    http://thelawdictionary.org/article/...tes-in-prison/

The point being: ask yourself, as a tax-paying citizen: is this value for money?

2 out of 2 members liked this post.