Page 37 of 47 FirstFirst ... 273233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
    Junior Member Rookie Poster

Default Re: TRUVADA: Why are we ALL not taking this???!!!!

Hi West,

I had never heard of PEP before but when I went to my local GUM clinic the nurse mentioned it and explained what it was and I pushed to have it. As the whether the chances of catching HIV are low in terms of oral, I'm still totally unsure and as you say, uneducated in that respect so please feel free to educate me. It will certainly help.
    This was all after my first ever experience with a TS lady and I was kind of worried afterwards...

After this experience I don't think I'll do it again but I'm glad that PEP has been an option.

Eurotrash! Platinum Poster Jericho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sexyjoe84 View Post
    As the whether the chances of catching HIV are low in terms of oral, I'm still totally unsure and as you say, uneducated in that respect so please feel free to educate me. It will certainly help.
    Or, instead of waiting around for someone else to do it, you could educate yourself on the risks involved.
    Just sayin'

I hate being bipolar...It's fucking ace!

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Or, instead of waiting around for someone else to do it, you could educate yourself on the risks involved.
    Just sayin'

Yeah, I second that. GOOGLE

Junior Member Rookie Poster

Obviously I've googled. Infact, Google has been more of a hindrance than anything, too many contradictions and what not. I thought possibly, first hand experience from your good selves would be more appropriate??

Newish Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by fred41 View Post
    I agree,...pretty much same here...
    though to be safe...I believe it's been said not to floss right before giving head.
    Agreed. It's just not sexy.

(Plus you could cause bleeding, but really- not sexy.)

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

The NewScientist report ( http://www.newscientist.com/article/...l#.VFBMGedAKHl ) says,

“The chances of contracting HIV through unprotected oral sex MAY be zero...” (capitalization mine)

It also says,

However, several cases have been reported which SUGGEST that oral sex can result in HIV transmission, so the latest findings must be interpreted cautiously, experts say.” (capitalization mine)

The study is being carried out by Kimberly Page Shafer of the Univ. of Calif. at San Francisco. The article reports the study is ongoing but fails to mention how long it’s been in progress (making it difficult to attach any real significance to the other reported statistics). The article maintains

Shafer herself says that since the results are based on a relatively small sample, they should be treated with caution. However, she believes that some reports have "overinterpreted the probability of infection".

Various other sexually transmitted diseases, such as gonorrhoea, chlamydia and syphilis, are transmitted orally, so people might still want to refrain from unprotected oral sex.”

The article reports that 198 people (mostly male) are participating in the study. They have had no anal or vaginal sex. On average these participants have two partners with whom they have oral sex. 98% of these have had unprotected oral sex (though the article fails to mention how regularly and over what periods of time) and 20% of these were with an HIV-positive partner.

So two partners for each of 198 people is about 396 partners. Ninety eight percent of those is about 388. Twenty percent of those is 78 unprotected ‘partnerings’ with HIV-positive partners over an unstated period of time with unstated regularity. Out of those 78 ‘partnerings’ there have been no detected transmissions of the HIV virus. Had there been they would have PRESUMABLY been oral transmissions.

Personally, I would use protection when giving oral to new acquaintances. After I get to know somebody for a time, asked them a few questions, observed their behaviors...if I come to really trust them I may relax my guard. Bear in mind that HIV isn’t your only worry. Gonorrhoea isn’t trivial though it’s usually curable. Herpes isn’t deadly but it’s an unsightly pain in the ass (or elsewhere) and never goes away (except intermittently). [Actually, since I been in a stable relationship for several years I no longer have sex -protected or otherwise- with mere acquaintances. But I know that when you're single it's different.]

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Junior Poster

trish what are the risks bottoming without protection

I actually am on Truvada, and I love the extra layer of protection it provides. I still have sex with condoms as well.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

MrBest. Your question got me thinking about this in a different way. I may have to revise my opinion of Truvada. Gotta sleep on it and think it through in the morning before I reply.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBest View Post
    trish what are the risks bottoming without protection
    Perhaps the riskiest thing you can do.