Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast

Default Re: TRUVADA: Why are we ALL not taking this???!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisfiction View Post
    Actually, he is sort of right. There are doctors ( I do like to read medical stuff don't ask), who would sort of agree. Doctors will not say the possibility is zero, meaning since there is exchange of fluid, they can never rule it out as zero. Salvia inhibits in the transmission of the disease. One doctor in years of practice HIV, has not seen the transfer of HIV by oral sex. Those that claim to have acquired that method, when question have change their story about how they received the disease. For the disease to be transferred you need an open wound or sores. Even still you would need some other factors to cause transfer. I have given and receive oral sex and unless the person has sores or cut, then the possibility is pretty much null. The more diligent you are in having sex, the more safe you will be.

Many times people are not aware of the risks they take while engaging sex. I have been looking at Truvada and its history since West keeps going on and on about it more clearly. It has been given as prep for a few years. I find that some people on Truvada have an ambivalence to condom use as I suspected and would prefer the risk of engaging in unprotected sex. Those are the people who Truvada is really targeted. They can continue to have sex with lowering the chance of transmission. Now, by how much I am very curious. That's what I have been keeping my eye out for. I have read some interesting things about it, but then again HIV is not as easily transmitted as people tend to think.

Condoms are great for safe sex, but this product is aimed at people who would care less for condoms. Before we throw stones at this group, more people have engaged in bareback sex then they would like to admit whether in a relationship or in the heat of the moment. I've been offered bareback sex too many times from people I have known for one night, which always scares me. So I think we should be more understanding of their decisions. It still does not excuse their irresponsible behavior, but at least we can understand their decision.

I will certainly keep an eye on this topic. I'm very curious to how its going to progress. I believe there are going to be some major lawsuits against the pharmaceutical company in the future, this is my opinion.
    Aside from your last sentence, this is maybe the most sensible thing posted in reply to my posts. Thank you, sincerely.

Newish Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisfiction View Post
    Actually, he is sort of right. There are doctors ( I do like to read medical stuff don't ask), who would sort of agree. Doctors will not say the possibility is zero, meaning since there is exchange of fluid, they can never rule it out as zero. Salvia inhibits in the transmission of the disease. One doctor in years of practice HIV, has not seen the transfer of HIV by oral sex. Those that claim to have acquired that method, when question have change their story about how they received the disease. For the disease to be transferred you need an open wound or sores. Even still you would need some other factors to cause transfer. I have given and receive oral sex and unless the person has sores or cut, then the possibility is pretty much null. The more diligent you are in having sex, the more safe you will be.

Many times people are not aware of the risks they take while engaging sex. I have been looking at Truvada and its history since West keeps going on and on about it more clearly. It has been given as prep for a few years. I find that some people on Truvada have an ambivalence to condom use as I suspected and would prefer the risk of engaging in unprotected sex. Those are the people who Truvada is really targeted. They can continue to have sex with lowering the chance of transmission. Now, by how much I am very curious. That's what I have been keeping my eye out for. I have read some interesting things about it, but then again HIV is not as easily transmitted as people tend to think.

Condoms are great for safe sex, but this product is aimed at people who would care less for condoms. Before we throw stones at this group, more people have engaged in bareback sex then they would like to admit whether in a relationship or in the heat of the moment. I've been offered bareback sex too many times from people I have known for one night, which always scares me. So I think we should be more understanding of their decisions. It still does not excuse their irresponsible behavior, but at least we can understand their decision.

I will certainly keep an eye on this topic. I'm very curious to how its going to progress. I believe there are going to be some major lawsuits against the pharmaceutical company in the future, this is my opinion.
    I get where you're coming from but it doesn't seem right at all.

He stated that one can not get HIV through oral sex. That's not correct. Not even "sort of."

This conversation is a mitigation of fact in support of the mitigation of risk.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

I will reiterate some of my points in a shorter simpler fashion.

1. In terms of oral transmission of HIV there is medical possibility, looking at how the disease is transmitted versus what they have found in people who have acquired HIV. Some medical professionals, those who work HIV and STD transmission meaning the 10,000s of patients a year typical find it rarely or never see HIV transmitted through oral sex alone. If they do, there is additional factors not commonly found during the act of oral sex.

Furthermore those who have claimed to have acquired HIV through oral sex tend to change their stories upon further investigation lower the credibility of their claim. (People tend to be embarrassed about their riskier sexual activities.) So while it seems medically possible, the actual number of people who acquired it by oral sex does not match the actual medical probability.

2. There are a group of people who will not use condoms. This group pose the highest risk of transmitting HIV. Many in medical field hope that since they will not use the condom method, that Truvada will provide some sort of protection for that group who would not use condoms consistently during their sexual activities. I believe West would fall into this group.

Furthermore I said many people at one time or another have had bareback sex. So many can understand their desire of it. I wanted not to have condemning tone to this high risk group. Of course I think they are being irresponsible, but they would care less of my opinion.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Newish Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Westheangelino View Post

If by "retort" you mean "agree" then you did very well.

Wes, words mean things. Important things.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	131.1 KB 
ID:	760073  

Newish Veteran Poster

Full disclosure: I've never given head through a condom. I don't intend the next penis in my mouth to be covered, or the next, or the next.

I definitely agree that the risk is low, or I wouldn't take it.

I also have impeccable oral hygiene, though. Floss, people, every day.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Westheangelino View Post
    I have no idea how many of the 50K infections are due to condom failure. I would bet not many. I'm not saying condoms are not effective. I'm saying condoms have not been an effective strategy for ending the HIV epidemic.
    You just said that condom failure has not resulted in many infections.

So if condom failure does not result in many infections, what is causing all these infections?

Could it be... that people aren't wearing condoms?

Quote Originally Posted by Tapatio View Post
    Full disclosure: I've never given head through a condom. I don't intend the next penis in my mouth to be covered, or the next, or the next.

I definitely agree that the risk is low, or I wouldn't take it.

I also have impeccable oral hygiene, though. Floss, people, every day.
    I agree,...pretty much same here...
    though to be safe...I believe it's been said not to floss right before giving head.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamon View Post
    You just said that condom failure has not resulted in many infections.

So if condom failure does not result in many infections, what is causing all these infections?

Could it be... that people aren't wearing condoms?

DUH. That's why I said they are not effective as a strategy to END an epidemic. If you want HIV to remain at current levels, please continue. But there will always be a portion of the population that will not or cannot wear condoms. So, clearly something else is needed. That something else has arrived, and it's called Truvada.

As for oral sex,

ANYTHING is possible. The chances of me winning the lottery are not zero, but I'm not rushing to go buy a ticket. The chances of me being killed by a stray boulder in Runyon canyon are not zero, but it wouldn't keep me from hiking there. The chances of getting HIV by sucking a dick are not zero,but.....you get the picture right?

Wes, are you on it yet?