Page 34 of 47 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
    Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: TRUVADA: Why are we ALL not taking this???!!!!

The effectiveness of truvada is estimated by the CDC to be 92% over one year of high risk exposure (NOT the 99% that Wes advertises).

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/prevention/research/prep/

The chart below uses Wes's 99% effectiveness of truvada and also assumes only a 90% effectiveness for condoms. In this way it's biased for Wes's POV and yet it shows considerable regret for those who do not supplement their truvada use with condoms. The model uses elementary probability theory and treats each year's use as a independent experiment. Wes claims the model wrong but doesn't offer any detailed criticism other than "medications don't work like that". Tell us Wes, how do they work? How do YOU calculate the expected number of HIV transmissions using truvada alone over a ten year period...a twenty year period...etc.? How do YOU calculate the regret of not supplementing truvada use with condoms?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	theoretical comparison.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	759583  

3 out of 3 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    How do YOU calculate the expected number of HIV transmissions using truvada alone over a ten year period...a twenty year period...etc.? How do YOU calculate the regret of not supplementing truvada use with condoms?
    He doesnt.

Because Truvada is so awesome, you dont need math, condoms or common sense...

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    Build a man a fire, he's warm for a day.
    Light a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBest View Post
    trish dont bother anymore, he hates condoms and doesnt want to be stigmatized about his status
    Quote Originally Posted by Teydyn View Post
    He doesnt.

Because Truvada is so awesome, you dont need math, condoms or common sense...

Use condoms if you want to. If this is a strategy that works for you and your partner(s) then go for it. I am not saying that condoms are not effective (when used perfectly). On an individual basis, they are. As a strategy to END not just stem the tide of an epidemic, they are NOT EFFECTIVE AS A STRATEGY. We have 50K new HIV infections in the US every single year.

Truvada's effectiveness (just like condoms) is measured on how well it's used. Trish, you can make any graph you want, but it doesn't illustrate anything. Even you have to admit these two things: the CDC numbers take into account whether or not someone is using the drug as directed or not and in published studies about serodiscordant couples, not ONE negative partner became positive when taking Truvada as directed.

0 out of 2 members liked this post.

And if you're not going to believe me (and, really, why should you? I'm just some wanker on a message board), perhaps you'll take stock in the opinions of the ACLU, the CDC, the WHO, the Governor of NY, and a myriad of AIDS activists and health professionals.

http://www.advocate.com/31-days-prep...t-support-prep

Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Westheangelino View Post
    Use condoms if you want to. If this is a strategy that works for you and your partner(s) then go for it. I am not saying that condoms are not effective (when used perfectly). On an individual basis, they are. As a strategy to END not just stem the tide of an epidemic, they are NOT EFFECTIVE AS A STRATEGY. We have 50K new HIV infections in the US every single year.
    How many of those 50,000 infections are due to condom failure?

Newish Veteran Poster

Hey, side question- say you fulfilled Wes' fantasy and were taking the pill daily-

Would you have sex with someone you knew to be HIV positive?

I totally wouldn't.

No.

Fucking.

Way.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Junior Member Rookie Poster

Truvada + Condoms seems to be the smart bet.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Veteran Poster

All the links wes and other people posted effectivenes vary's from 70 to 99%. Plus there are side effects for Truvada. And it is not the holy grail against H.I.V on a bad day you can still catch or give it. It comes down to the Swiss effect if you are in a commited relationship taking the medicine daily with food on a scheduled time, yes you can have bare sexs if you are not coming down with something . I am not saying condoms are 100% but to me they seem like a safer bet

Senior Member Platinum Poster Prospero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreamon View Post
    How many of those 50,000 infections are due to condom failure?
    Or people who simply don't use condoms now that there is a widespread belief that HIV is a manageable chronic rather than fatal condition with the use of anti-retroviral drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Or people who simply don't use condoms now that there is a widespread belief that HIV is a manageable chronic rather than fatal condition with the use of anti-retroviral drugs.

HIV IS a manageable disease with proper treatment.

I have no idea how many of the 50K infections are due to condom failure. I would bet not many. I'm not saying condoms are not effective. I'm saying condoms have not been an effective strategy for ending the HIV epidemic.

As for the question about fucking a POZ person, I absolutely would, provided they were on treatment. Undetectable POZ patients do NOT pass on HIV. They are not infectious.

0 out of 2 members liked this post.