Page 27 of 47 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast

Default Re: TRUVADA: Why are we ALL not taking this???!!!!

I think where this product truly shines, and I believe this has been mentioned in some of the articles,...is in committed relationships where one partner has HIV.
    The way I see it, if used with condoms, the negative partner really protects themselves even further...
    ...but I would understand if, in a long term loving relationship, the negative partner, especially if they were a top (lower risk), would be willing to take a chance with daily use of this pill alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapatio View Post
    Fixed that for you. I bet something develops though- I'll watch the real world trials with interest.

I just can't see going pharmaceutical unless I have to for some reason. Like a "life depends on this" kind of reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Truvda, in perfect use, doesn't prevent HIV either. The effectiveness of any preventative measure decreases exponentially over the duration of use. A drug that is 95% effective over one year's time is only 90% effective over a two year period. For a period of twenty years the effectiveness drops to 0.95 to the twentieth power; i.e. 36% effective over a twenty year period. If you're in a long term relationship with a partner who is infected, you'd be a fool not to use every preventative measure at your disposal that doesn't carry the risk of deleterious side-effects with long term use...that means CONDOMS.
    Where are you getting this information???? With perfect use, Truvada is 99% effective. More than condoms when used perfectly, which almost never are used perfectly.

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Westheangelino View Post
    ^ You can't actually be serious?

50,000 new HIV cases a year. Every year. In the USA. This isn't an epidemic????!!!!!!!!! Are you fucking insane???????????? Condoms, in perfect use, do prevent HIV. We've been at this for 30 years. A condoms only strategy to combating HIV simply DOES NOT WORK. If this drug had come out 20 years ago it would be heralded as a miracle.

You people make me fucking puke. You can choose to continue to live in denial if you want, but what makes me ill is that your Puritanical and unscientific judgmental attitudes are what's keeping more people from knowing about this miracle drug.
    I don't have to bring up the whole article thing that clearly proved truvada research methods was poor. But show me that most of the HIV causes, wait in fact show me any facts where 10% of the people who have HIV is caused from condom failure when the parties are engaged in protective sexual activity. I am waiting West.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisfiction View Post
    I don't have to bring up the whole article thing that clearly proved truvada research methods was poor. But show me that most of the HIV causes, wait in fact show me any facts where 10% of the people who have HIV is caused from condom failure when the parties are engaged in protective sexual activity. I am waiting West.

And you'll keep waiting. Where are you even getting this 10% number? It's certainly nothing I ever said. "Perfect" use doesn't even mean manufacturing error. It means not using the product as intended, not following directions, or only sometimes using it.

You're all missing the main benefits:

1. The drug, unlike condoms, doesn't reduce sexual pleasure. There are some people, myself included, who have always been willing to negotiate and quantify risk based on the fact that barebacking just feels better. Not saying it isn't risky. It is. But this is reality and will continue to be unless something else comes along.....now it has!

2. There is no heat of the moment mistake. You put a condom on a hard, pulsating cock. You take a truvada in the morning when you brush your teeth. See the difference?

3. The power is solely in the hands of the individual. How many cases of HIV have happened because of peer pressure? Lies? Empty promises? the closet? A LOT.

Junior Poster

you dont want status & BB to be stigmatized/thread

Junior Poster

by the way being poz doesnt mean you cant contract different strains

Quote Originally Posted by Westheangelino View Post
    And you'll keep waiting. Where are you even getting this 10% number? It's certainly nothing I ever said. "Perfect" use doesn't even mean manufacturing error. It means not using the product as intended, not following directions, or only sometimes using it.

You're all missing the main benefits:

1. The drug, unlike condoms, doesn't reduce sexual pleasure. There are some people, myself included, who have always been willing to negotiate and quantify risk based on the fact that barebacking just feels better. Not saying it isn't risky. It is. But this is reality and will continue to be unless something else comes along.....now it has!

2. There is no heat of the moment mistake. You put a condom on a hard, pulsating cock. You take a truvada in the morning when you brush your teeth. See the difference?

3. The power is solely in the hands of the individual. How many cases of HIV have happened because of peer pressure? Lies? Empty promises? the closet? A LOT.
    There it is, you can be safe using condoms.

I know you enjoy bareback sex and like many people they feel condoms break the mood. However, they have proven over the years to provide excellent protection. Of course sex without a condom feels great, but not everyone is willing to risk such a venture. Especially with the scientific study conducted not being really sound.

Many people have a wait and see attitude, because if the drug is less effective than stated the consequences can be bad. Truvada is target at a high risk demographic. I feel the drug is being pushed too hard too fast, particularly as its being marketed as great preventer of HIV without a proper study. For me, I rather see how the drug operates in the actually world then relying on poor studies. If its good, then it provide options in my sex life.

Plus West, I think you are mistaken that the other STDs are nothing to worry about. STD's are becoming more resistant to antibiotics and some of them are very very difficult to cure or are incurable.

Like I said unless you are willing to engage in much more riskier sex, Truvada is not really a concern.

PS: If you are willing to take the risk, be prepared for the consequences.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBest View Post
    by the way being poz doesnt mean you cant contract different strains
    Thanks Mr. Best, I forgot people who kept re-infecting themselves with HIV when they thought they could not get it again since they already have it.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisfiction View Post
    There it is, you can be safe using condoms.

I know you enjoy bareback sex and like many people they feel condoms break the mood. However, they have proven over the years to provide excellent protection. Of course sex without a condom feels great, but not everyone is willing to risk such a venture. Especially with the scientific study conducted not being really sound.

Many people have a wait and see attitude, because if the drug is less effective than stated the consequences can be bad. Truvada is target at a high risk demographic. I feel the drug is being pushed too hard too fast, particularly as its being marketed as great preventer of HIV without a proper study. For me, I rather see how the drug operates in the actually world then relying on poor studies. If its good, then it provide options in my sex life.

Plus West, I think you are mistaken that the other STDs are nothing to worry about. STD's are becoming more resistant to antibiotics and some of them are very very difficult to cure or are incurable.

Like I said unless you are willing to engage in much more riskier sex, Truvada is not really a concern.

PS: If you are willing to take the risk, be prepared for the consequences.
    50,000 new infections speaks to the failure of condom only campaigns. Of course, I'm not knocking the crusaders of the past. From the early GRID days til the last two years, condoms were the only proven preventative measure. Times change. You wouldn't tell a woman taking the birth control pill to use a diaphram would you?

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

When you engage in riskier activity it carries a higher risk. People who contract HIV are engaging in riskier sexual activities. If you want to have bareback sex, then in a monogamous relationship with both parties being tested prior to bareback sexual activity. Its safe. If however you wanted to sleep with multiple partners then its best to minimize the risk, because people lie and are dishonest. A more scary scenario are people who are willing to put other people's health at risk for their own pleasure. I can mention even scarier forms out there. Its best to take the precautions that keep you safe, however if you feel the riskier options provide a fuller sexual experience, just understand what you are engaging in.

If Truvada proves to be true and your only concern is getting HIV then its the drug for you. I do wish you caution, the drug has not been proven to be as effective. In the end only the pharmaceutical company producing it and promoting it doesn't have to live personally the consequence of HIV.