Page 25 of 47 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast

Default Re: TRUVADA: Why are we ALL not taking this???!!!!

http://www.advocate.com/31-days-prep

^Some highly informative stuff

Newish Veteran Poster

Wes, are we protected if others take this, or only if we do?

^ This is an interesting question, and the answer on a purely scientific level is both. On a real life level, I'd say the answer is, "not on your life!" Allow me to elaborate.....

So, given that the pill keeps one from contracting HIV, the short answer is yes. It's a simple equation that if your partner is negative on on PrEP, then they will not become infected, thus you will not become infected. It's not as though someone can be negative, on prep, and carry the virus around like a carrier. Just doesn't work that way.

Now, let's take a trip to the real world. Letting someone fuck you sideways if you aren't on PrEP simply because they SAY they are is maybe even more foolish than people who have barebacked until now because their partner claims to be negative, etc. The great thing about this drug is that the owness is solely on ONE person to control their health. With condoms it's always a two person conversation.

Newish Veteran Poster

any chance of bugs developing resistance?

Antibiotics worked fine until they didn't, and now we have the SuperClap™-

Well, I don't have the SuperClap™. Some folks do, but not me.

Nope.

That's some fucked up shit, though.

SuperClap™.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

^ While this is ALWAYS a chance that something can develop drug immunity, this seems unlikely with Truvada. First off, in ten years, it probably will not be the same drug, as Gilead is already working on different formulations and different delivery methods (think once every six month injections). Also, people who are HIV+ have been taking this very drug for over a decade, and it's through them that the researchers figured out that it could be used as prevention as well. So far, there has been no evidence of a patient losing efficacy who is already HIV +.

Also, let's consider the concept of herd immunity, which could be a real thing with something like the HIV virus, which is much less communicable than say Chylmidia or Syphallis. Men who have sex with men make up 2% of the US population, but represent 52% of all persons living with HIV and 63% of new infections.http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...t-of-HIV-Cases

So, just think if even half of us took Truvada. The sharp decrease would be astronomical and nothing short of a miracle.

Newish Veteran Poster

So probably another SuperClap™.

Is this covered under ACA?

^ Um....NO probably not another Superclap. Did you actually read what I wrote?

And, yes, most major insurers are covering this as are state run medicaid agencies. One of the knocks on this drug is that its cost is prohibitive. BUT that is simply not true. Think about it: it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars (maybe millions as people live longer) to cover HIV+ people (which now has to be done thanks to Obamacare), but fraction to keep people HIV- through PrEP. THANK YOU OBAMA!!!!!

Newish Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Westheangelino View Post
    ^ Um....NO probably not another SuperClap™!
    Fixed that for you. I bet something develops though- I'll watch the real world trials with interest.

I just can't see going pharmaceutical unless I have to for some reason. Like a "life depends on this" kind of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapatio View Post
    Fixed that for you. I bet something develops though- I'll watch the real world trials with interest.

I just can't see going pharmaceutical unless I have to for some reason. Like a "life depends on this" kind of reasons.

Ok. So, what are you sexual practices right now? What makes you even curious about this drug? Why do you bet something develops? What makes you think that way? You do understand that real world trials have already taken place right?

Newish Veteran Poster

My interest is actually not in the drug, but in your insistence that we should take a maintenance drug.

It's fascinating. Maybe it's altruism, but it doesn't read that way.