Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The next great space mission should be protecting the earth from asteroid impacts.

Meanwhile ,however ,a group of concerned astronauts and scientists have had to go begging to try to PRIVATLY FUND a mission to do just that.
    It's called the B612 Mission.
    Data show that asteroids impact earth 3-10 times more frequently than previously thought. In just the last 13 years The Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organization has recorded 26 impact explosions ranging from 1-600 kilotons , for comparison the Hiroshima blast was 15 kilotons.
    What's protecting us now , mostly "blind luck".
    The first part of the B612 Mission ,for a mere $450 , would put a satellite in an orbit out by Venus that could constantly monitor and track ,and give us as much as 100 years of warning to deflect or destroy a potential city or planet killer asteroid.
    Admittedly ,tracking efforts have been stepped up in the last few years , much of it by amateur astronomers. One of the big problems , however , is that we are only able to monitor a small slice of the sky from here on earth.
    Check out the video and articles.
    http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...,5822355.story

http://www.jdjournal.com/2014/04/21/...first-thought/#

B612 Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Default Re: The next great space mission should be protecting the earth from asteroid impacts

Is it possible to intercept large asteroids before they reach earth, and destroy them?

Default Re: The next great space mission should be protecting the earth from asteroid impacts

Number of strategies suggested - fragment (big explosion and then the bits burn up) or deflect (miss the Earth and hit someother planet)

Nothing tried yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Is it possible to intercept large asteroids before they reach earth, and destroy them?

Avatar is not representative of the available product - contents may differ

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

I think an orbiting Captain America Shield, say 100X the scale of the original, should do the trick. When an incoming asteroid is detected the shield can be remotely maneuvered into the optimal position to deflect it. I can't take full credit for this idea. I was inspired by the Strategic Star Wars Defense Initiative of His Most Wonderful and Bestest President Ever, The One and Only, Ronald Reagan.

Also we should be drilling elementary school children to duck and cover. A solid desk made of aluminum pipe and pressed board is the next best thing to having your own personal vibranium shield.

Of course the world may not want to front the bill for an orbiting vibranium shield or periodically interrupt their children's classroom time with essential species preserving drills. But if we spot a huge asteroid on direct collision course with Earth, I'm sure we'll all get together for a quick and effective response.

Perhaps we need some outside universal threat to make us recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world.”__Ronald Reagan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shield-Captain-America-Movie.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	713520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1_123125_2243666_2244404_2269304_101026_hive_schoolchairtn.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	713521   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	031208_reaganactor_bcolumn.grid-4x2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	713522  

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavros View Post
    Yes , a number of methods have already been suggested which are well within our present capabilities. We have already had missions that crashed into asteroids. Remember it doesn't take much force if you are able apply it early enough to change an orbit.
    Blowing them up with a nuclear device is the worse option because then you just create many uncontrolled objects.
    Another option being considered is landing a small plasma drive engine on the surface and nudging the asteroid into a better orbit.
    "A miss is as good as a mile."
    The European Space Agency already has a practice mission planned.
    http://www.technologyreview.com/view...e-an-asteroid/

Armageddon Asteroid Will Hit Next Week Says Unreliable TV Christian Evangelist Pat Robertson

It's too late

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...ampaign=buffer

Shit! I was betting He would hit us with a plague this time. He already used a meteor on the dinosaurs; and the flood didn't really work (two of everything got away). Okay, anybody want to buy a five year supply of face masks with bacterial filters? I got to sell them fast.

http://www.ted.com/talks/phil_plait_...from_asteroids

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by trish; 04-24-2014 at 03:53 PM.
    "...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

I was expecting HE would sent a virus to wipe out all HA and FB accounts.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Shit! I was betting He would hit us with a plague this time. He already used a meteor on the dinosaurs; and the flood didn't really work (two of everything got away). Okay, anybody want to buy a five year supply of face masks with bacterial filters? I got to sell them fast.
    "God? She's Black!"
    -Gregory Corso.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Found some online poems by poet Gregory Corso ...

http://www.english.illinois.edu/maps...nlinepoems.htm

...but couldn't find "God? She's Back!" I'll have to make a trip to the library.