Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyWalkerBlackLabel
    what made this movie good was that they chose a director that LOVED the comic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unlike Xmen 3 where it's obvious Brett Ratner was not a true Xmen fan
    It's funny you say that because Singer has stated he ISN'T a comic fan (in a literal sense - in that he doesn't read comics and isn't beholden to them)...his admiration for Donner's S:TM was his inspiration for this film, clearly not the comics (though his respect and admiration for the character was touching) while conversely Ratner could be found in a comic store on any given Wednesday. What it comes down to in the end is the quality of filmmaker and how proficient they are at their craft...which Ratner clearly is not, being that X3 was barely a movie...poorly concieved, poorly written and full of set pieces and convenient plot devices instead of clever themes and characterization. Singer made an almost amazing film with Superman, I loved it but it's the thinking man's Superman film and the subtext will largely go over the heads of the casual movie-goier, but hopefully there is enough there that they will still have an enjoyable movie-going experience.

C'est La Vie!

Junior Poster

Saw it last night. Very strong movie, although I think the last twenty minutes or so ground the movie to a hault.

Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.

William Somerset in "Seven."

Someone told me that Noel Neill has a role/walk-on in the new flick. Is this so?

Bonus points if it's true.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

Junior Poster

Yeah her and the original Jimmy Olsen. I only know because I read it. I didn't actually see them in the movie. Not sure I could have picked them out even if I was looking though.

Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part.

Junior Poster

So I just saw this flick again. This might just be my favorite Superman movie. Now I gotta go see it in IMAX. I heard the 3D sequences are amazing.

As for the cameos. I caught both Noel Neil and the original Jimmy Olsen. They were also listed in the end credits.

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedOne
    Someone told me that Noel Neill has a role/walk-on in the new flick. Is this so?

Bonus points if it's true.
    No, Noel Neill doesn't have a walk-on in the new film: she's laying down the whole time she's on screen. IIRC, it's the first scene in the movie, and she plays a very elderly lady (not surprising) who's on her deathbed. I don't want to give away any more than that. However, I did recognize her: she still has her distinctive voice.

Jack Larson also appears, several times in fact, as a bartender. Very nice touch, bringing them both back into the movie.

Overview: I just saw the movies last night, and I must say, this is what a comic movie should be. It ranks close to (but shy of, imho) the first two Christopher Reeve Superman movies. Unfortunately, although he's acceptable, Routh is no Reeve, and with the exceptions of Kate Bosworth and Kevin Spacey, the cast really isn't all that great. Yet the story holds (with a few weak points). Compare that with X3, which has a stellar cast of amazing proportions, yet a weakass storyline which flounders all over the place.

I don't want to commit any spoilers, but look for some very nice echoes of famous scenes from prior movies and the comics!

Rookie Poster

I watched this in IMAX-3D at the Mall of Georgia today, MIND-BLOWING (but only for the 20 minutes that are actually rendered in 3D)... There's a scene with lots of water splashing around, and drops of water are splashing onto the camera lens, and it looks like it's splashing onto the lens of the 3D glasses... highly recommended

i need to see it again though, sometimes the IMAX experience can be a little TOO big

Vicki Richter and Danielle Foxx
    Two Hottest Girls Alive

Junior Poster

Livin' Large
    It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a crotch the size of a 757!

All this and more is to be found in Superman Returns, which premiered in Westwood Wednesday night to hordes of eager fans and celebs alike. Brandon Routh, Kate Bosworth and her protruding breastbone, James Marsden and Kevin Spacey all hit the silver carpet to promote their new flick/franchise/merchandising opportunity.

I was lucky enough to grab Superman himself and ask him about his real-life. No need, really, to embarrass the boy on other fronts, as director Bryan Singer has tried his very best to have final word on other, more delicate matters involving B.R.--particularly the notion that Brandon's impressive manhood had to be lessened, onscreen.

Singer previously stated Routh's fam jewels were only reduced via a more concealing costume, and not in the digital labs (not true, screamed gaga lab witnesses, mouths drooping open, as they blabbed to moi!).
    Visit for more:
    • 101 Craziest TV Moments
    • The Awful Truth
    • Fashion Police

Back on the line, B.R. admitted rather sheepishly that what tempted him "lethally" was food. Too cute. "Especially pizza."

Certainly didn't look like that, as his bod was totally bitchin' in tonight's snug suit.

Fine, never mind with the nice-guy crap. Let's get honest, I was dying to find out about the rumors involving B.R.'s package being downsized or not.

I posed my Package-gate question to executive producer Chris Lee. "It was a nice rumor, and I'm sure Brandon was flattered, but no, that's not true," he pooh-poohed.

"When you're creating the suit, which is about this big when you take it off," he said, pantomiming Speedo-size fabric, "obviously anybody the size of Brandon is gonna have some issues when he puts on something that tight. You don't want it to be so distracting," he said.