Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Barack Obama Will Not Remove One Gun Nor Even One Bullet From My House

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    Well what's the reason there are so many guns in houses? They sell guns in Canada and England. They have every opportunity to buy a handgun or a shotgun, and nobody in the US is saying a citizen in good standing can't buy a handgun.

Maybe the people in England are Ladies and Gents.

Oh, and PRESUMING innocence, people would be MUCH safer if you presumed they were idiots and banned all guns! All the cops carry guns.

I think any bill the Democrats would want to pass would still allow people to buy pretty much all the guns they want.

So it is pretty clear that death by guns in the U.S. is a serious problem that far exceeds that of other Western nations. Two distinguished legal scholars, Franklin Zimring and Gordon Hawkins, compared crime rates in the G-7 countries (Canada, England, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, and the United States) between in their book, Crime Is Not The Problem: Lethal Violence In America Is. Bluntly, they stated their conclusion: "What is striking about the quantity of lethal violence in the United States is that it is a third-world phenomenon occurring in a first-world nation."

This comes from a Psychology Today article I just googled. They agree that the more guns you have, the more shootings you have. We also export more guns than anybody and outspend almost the entire rest of the world on the military!!

I think I recognize the problem, I do not see the solution. The problem is we're Americans.......YEE HAWW!!!

The article went on to say the Japanese and Australians both voluntarily gave up their guns even the Yakusa went along with it. But I honestly don't see that getting pulled off here. Even Psychology today justs describes the problem. They don't have a solution. You can't hope that a school gets shot up every week. Doesn't hurt to wave the flag, keep preaching sanity, but the Star Spangled Banner is about Rockets and Bombs. Our National Anthem.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

Default Re: Barack Obama Will Not Remove One Gun Nor Even One Bullet From My House

Well what's the reason there are so many guns in houses?
    Corporate greed and the NRA. The NRA used to be a organization the promoted target shooting, safe hunting, and conservation. Now it all up in everybody's face screaming carry, Carry, CARRY. They found out it sells more guns. The manufacturers love them.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Silver Poster

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Corporate greed and the NRA.
    Well, I have a hard time arguing with that.

If I make any point about guns or judging people, it's that you can only see the tip of the iceberg. Which is OK if you're in a ship on the water.

Money hungry corporations insist they advance the standard of living in the US. While janitors and the homeless want no part of corporate greed, they sure line up at 7-11 to buy those 400 million dollar lottery tickets.

Buttslinger would be cool if we successfully ridded the land of guns, gambling, drugs, pollution, Karl Rove, classrooms with 35 kids.

Obamacare is a dramatic achievement. Corporate greed knows this, and doesn't like it. Everybody likes healthcare. Especially when an unforeseen bullet invades their body. Big Business will lose it's cut if we advance to universal healthcare.

The tobacco companies have already got patents on the names "Acapulco Gold, Panama Red," etc.

Wall Street is way ahead of Pennsylvania Ave. The reason corporate greed is so successful is because it banks on citizen greed. If the serpent can't trick Adam into eating the apple, he can get Eve to talk him into it.

People are stupid by nature. Most Americans don't want to move to Canada or England. We embrace American Stupidity. Prohibition is for little old ladies.

People with MSN homepages probably just saw that article where the faces on kid's cereal boxes are angled so they directly stare down from the store shelves into the eyes of little kids. Every business in the World dreams of hitting it big in the USA. This is where the money is.

Temptation is on every aisle of the supermarket.

World Class Asshole

They sell guns in Canada and England.
    The process of buying a gun is highly-policed, governed by fairly draconian rules, extremely complex and rigorous in the UK. Your casual description implies that it's almost the ludicrous free for all that it is in the US. Not so.

Even members of gun clubs can't keep their weapons at home, and most guns held in private hands are used exclusively for sport. And that is a very narrow range of weapons, mostly shotguns.

Please don't make facile comparisons. The two primary reasons why the number of gun deaths and shootings is an infinitesimal proportion in the UK to the daily litany of tragic slaughter in the US is, one, simply because we don't have a historical culture of freely available weaponry and two, because we manage gun ownership responsibly and cautiously. And our country is, as a result, 50 times safer than yours.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.
    But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    And our country is, as a result, 50 times safer than yours.
    Hey Robert, isn't it like 3AM over there?

Ok, lets just say you were born in America and were a US citizen....what would you do, defect to the absolute safest country in the world?

Would you blow up the gun stores or assassinate top members of the NRA?

Would you burn your flag?

I been to England. My Dad's been in England,....in 1944!!! Saving your country's ass!!!!

You didn't mind our guns THEN, did ya!!

I went to the English museum, you sure got a lot of stuff you stole from your colonial days. Gandhi had to shame you into leaving India.

ha ha Robert, relax, if I could get rid of every gun today in the whole world I would. I can go over to Walmart and buy a shotgun right now, handguns take a three day waiting period. There is a gun show loophole that says one guy can sell another guy his gun without a check, I think that's it, and you can buy a banana clip on the internet easy. These are the laws the Democrats want to change. But that's it. Or something close to that.

Reagan actually tried to do gun control when he found out it was legal for the black panthers to stroll around LA with rifles.

It used to be after a war you melted your guns into plowshares. That's what happened in the US after WWII we were unprepared for WWII.

We have now officially declared ourselves to be the badguys of the world. And that is not going to change. Not for the forseeable future anyway. Look up, that's our nuclear umbrella over your head. You think it's tough being our friend? Try being our enemy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MQ-9_Reaper_taxis.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	709175  

World Class Asshole

Hey Robert, isn't it like 3AM over there?

Ok, lets just say you were born in America and were a US citizen....what would you do, defect to the absolute safest country in the world?

Would you blow up the gun stores or assassinate top members of the NRA?

Would you burn your flag?

I been to England. My Dad's been in England,....in 1944!!! Saving your country's ass!!!!

You didn't mind our guns THEN, did ya!!

I went to the English museum, you sure got a lot of stuff you stole from your colonial days. Gandhi had to shame you into leaving India.

ha ha Robert, relax, if I could get rid of every gun today in the whole world I would. I can go over to Walmart and buy a shotgun right now, handguns take a three day waiting period. There is a gun show loophole that says one guy can sell another guy his gun without a check, I think that's it, and you can buy a banana clip on the internet easy. These are the laws the Democrats want to change. But that's it. Or something close to that.

Reagan actually tried to do gun control when he found out it was legal for the black panthers to stroll around LA with rifles.

It used to be after a war you melted your guns into plowshares. That's what happened in the US after WWII we were unprepared for WWII.

We have now officially declared ourselves to be the badguys of the world. And that is not going to change. Not for the forseeable future anyway. Look up, that's our nuclear umbrella over your head. You think it's tough being our friend? Try being our enemy.
    I fully recognise that the two situations are entirely different and that there's no prospect of the US moving to a UK style position on gun control.

BTW, my dad was up to his eyes in shit in Italy in 1944 wondering where you guys had been for the last five years, but that's by the by.....

As for the nuclear deterrent, well, I haven't heard a fully convincing argument for retaining it in its current form since Soviet communism collapsed. At a small scale and possibly tactical level, yes, but right now it looks out of place in the new dangerous era of terrorism and localised wars.

Personally, I'd rather have more and better hospitals, schools and homes than the £Billions we're pissing away on a replacement for Trident.

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Personally, I'd rather have more and better hospitals, schools and homes than the £Billions we're pissing away on a replacement for Trident.
    Hey, try living under George Bush for eight years.

There is going to be a day when the US gets sane gun rules, but it's going to be a while. Same with pollution laws.
    Eventually, we're going to move towards schools and hospitals. When the money is gone, and all the businesses can't make INSANE profits.

I thought you were going to blast me after that last post, Robert, you are a fine gentleman. Waiting to get your CD.

World Class Asshole

Junior Poster

But there must be a reason, I cannot remember ever reading a serious article on why a seemingly advanced nation like the US has so many gun fatalities, outside the fact that we have so many guns.
    because that is the reason
    http://mark.reid.name/pics/figures/deaths-vs-guns.png

0 out of 1 members liked this post.
    ___

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

I wanna ask my British friends a light-hearted question. When you fellas were teenagers riding around with your friends in a car and wanted to sit up front how would you announce it to the others? Did you also have a name for the middle seat in the back that you made the new guy sit in?

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    I wanna ask my British friends a light-hearted question. When you fellas were teenagers riding around with your friends in a car and wanted to sit up front how would you announce it to the others? Did you also have a name for the middle seat in the back that you made the new guy sit in?

Umm. We had small cars Dino. Kind of hard to get three humans of any size in the back seat of a Mini. And generally speaking, British cars were and are smaller than US ones, and young guys usually start out with a small car that will take four at a squeeze. Same then, same now.

The Mini is 1960s, the Corsa 2000s. And if you guys drove cars that size the planet would heave a sigh of relief.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mini.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	709362   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	corsa_.bristol.750pix.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	709363