Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Default Re: My Little Pony and a young Flammer

Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Nothing wrong with our school system dderek, it taught me how to construct grammatical sentences like "Why argue that the mother should ban her son from to take his favorite napsack to school?" What fer you doin' to point finger at 'mercan schuls fer?
    Haha I'm east coast Canadian. We're not the brightest sounding people either. The schools are pretty good though but bullying and cyber bullying are becoming worse it seems. There was a young girl who committed suicide a few years ago after being bullied for a long time online. It's a really sad story but the mucky mucks are taking a closer look at things and hopefully some progress will be made. Her name was Rehtaeh Parsons if you're curious.

I'm a former teacher, I believe that bullying is an inevitability since it is a human behavior (IMHO) and young students should be taught about it and how to deal with it. As for the school backpack, I think the mother replacing it would be pragmatic way to prevent her son from being bullied. It should be a family decision though. The school should be working preventing the bullying from happening through education.

If he was really attached to it and he HAD to have it as if it were an expression of his individuality. In that case, replacing it would send the wrong message to him. I would back my son up and make sure he can deal with the BS at school in a good and safe way. School and work is rife with BS so it would be a good opportunity to teach him how to deal with it.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by dderek123; 03-20-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Hung Angel Platinum Poster trish's Avatar

A reasoned response.

Aggressive behavior is natural. Insecurities are inevitable. And parents that have been bullied as children will be around for awhile. Put the three together and bullies will be as common as warts. Having one natural component (aggression) doesn't entail it isn't as aberrant as a case of warts and in need of attention. Certainly nature didn't select for cyber-bullies.

The mother replacing the napsack would be a pragmatic solution, but not necessarily the best solution for her son. I don't think we can make any general prescription here, as the best solution depends intimately upon the people involved, as your response indicates.

Thanks.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Thanks.
    No thank you!

Veteran Poster

It's important to note that broad, incessant, and sensationalist media coverage often leads to gross misperceptions. The media reports breathlessly on cyberbullying, but that's only because it's a relatively new phenomenon, not because it's actually widespread. The highest prevalence of cyberbullying that's been reported anywhere is like 11%.

As for bullying behaviors in general, we know that their prevalence is not increasing, and most researchers have found significant declines in bullying over the past 20 years. Even the most pessimistic experts see a flat trend. This is a nice summary from one of the U.S.'s foremost experts in youth violence:

http://bit.ly/OC7uI9

Money quote: "Four U.S. national data sets show substantial declines in face‐ to‐face bullying and peer related victimizations at school from the 1990s to recent years."

The world is changing, and it's getting better.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Silver Poster

. What's that got to do with the question? For the sake of argument, let's say you're right.
    it has to do with me answering your question

Why isn't the mother right too?
    what are you asking? why isn't the mother right in pulling her child out of school (and homeschooling him) or requesting for the bullies to be disciplined? she's not right for pulling him out of school. she's right for requesting the bullies to be disciplined. but will she be requesting this for the rest of this child's life? because bullies exist beyond school. bullies exist in high school, college, work etc.

asking for the bullies to be disciplined (IMO) isn't enough. she has to educate her child to face these kind of people otherwise he will be a victim for the rest of his life

i don't appreciate the rest of what you said and neither do i see the point of you saying it. if you wish to end the discussion simply say so, but telling me i need to do homework is just a lazy way of saying "go read something that will help you agree with me" and that's not going to happen

end-of-conversation

Last edited by bluesoul; 03-21-2014 at 01:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    it has to do with me answering your question
    Please explain the logic of how it relates to the question.

what are you asking? why isn't the mother right in pulling her child out of school (and homeschooling him) or requesting for the bullies to be disciplined? she's not right for pulling him out of school. she's right for requesting the bullies to be disciplined. but will she be requesting this for the rest of this child's life? because bullies exist beyond school. bullies exist in high school, college, work etc.
    Are you sober right now?

asking for the bullies to be disciplined (IMO) isn't enough.
    Not necessarily disciplined but certainly helped.

she has to educate her child to face these kind of people otherwise he will be a victim for the rest of his life
    And telling the kid to hide behind a false projection of himself isn't necessarily the appropriate lesson.

"...I no longer believe that people's secrets are defined and communicable, or their feelings full-blown and easy to recognize."_Alice Munro, Chaddeleys and Flemings.

"...the order in creation which you see is that which you have put there, like a string in a maze, so that you shall not lose your way". _Judge Holden, Cormac McCarthy's, BLOOD MERIDIAN.

Senior Member Professional Poster gaysian71's Avatar

This is a really dumb thread. I would think that members of this forum would be a little more understanding of a little boy who wants to use a my little pony back pack. If it's the boy or his mothers fault for allowing him to have a backpack like that, then I guess it's ok to rape a woman who is dressed provacatively. After all when you dress that way you got it coming to ya right? Or it's ok to murder a transsexual woman or gay man. After all gays and transsexuals have a lot of nerve dressing like a woman and or sucking cock and taking it in the ass. And lastly, it must be fine to murder a tranny chaser or admirer. After all, men who like a woman with a cock are not worthy of living, right?

I don't mean to rant so much, but I'm just sayin.

Member Rookie Poster Luvs T Gyrls's Avatar

I like My little Pony,but Vas ist das Flammer?

Maybe he sees the toy as an expression of his fundamental nature, maybe he doesn’t. Maybe he can leave it at home without a second thought. Maybe, at this time in his life, he really needs the comfort of having it near. Clearly both mother and child are aware of the social potentialities of bringing the ponypack to school. It’s not of matter of being as smart as mildcigar_2001 (which is a pretty low standard). It’s a matter of weighing the pros and cons. Being made fun of by bullies is not the end of the world. If the kid has the backbone to stand up for himself, good for him. It’s a shame the school acted to keep the decision out of Grayson’s hands. But wait! Here’s the good news...

On March 20, the school retracted it’s decision. Grayson is free to bring his ponypack to school, should he still wish. The decision is now his.

So what is at stake for the trollers in this argument? Why was it so important for them to maintain the mother is irresponsible? Why did they want mothers across the U.S. to keep their sons form taking pink ponies to school? Was it really for the sake of the children? Are we really to believe that’s their motive? That that lies at the bottom of their intransigence on the subject? And why was Darwinism such an issue here? Why was it so important to assert that bullying is a natural behavior? By contrast, in their minds, what is it when a boy brings a pack to school with a pink pony logo? Unnatural?
    More interesting than the issue under discussion is the deeper motivation of the trollers. Is it just for the fun of trolling? It certainly isn’t for the art of argument for none of them have yet proposed a coherent argument. Or are there unresolved issues said trollers have not yet come to terms with themselves?

Last edited by trish; 03-21-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Newish Veteran Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Luvs T Gyrls View Post
    I like My little Pony,but Vas ist das Flammer?
    In the title of this thread, OP probably just misspelled "flamer."

As in "flaming homosexual."

Classy.