Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Default Re: The Jared Leto Question

I like Jared, his 30seconds to mards videos fucking rock

This is ridiculous. The Academy give awards to actors and actresses who display RANGE. Leto won that award BECAUSE he's a straight male. It would not have been so impressive an acting job coming from someone who lived that life 24/7.

5 out of 5 members liked this post.

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

Gender specific roles typically are played by people of that gender.
    Look for a TS next time.

This is 2014, there are more than enough TS who can play THEMSELVES or someone very close to themselves on screen.

0 out of 3 members liked this post.

this is bullshit.

why are people bringing up Jared Leto's sexual orientation? What the fuck has his personal life got to do with a role. Imagine the outrage if the straight community were questioning a gay male playing a straight role? What a preposterous hypocritical slur.

As for playing a transgendered role, a transgendered person is somebody transitioning from male to female or female to male. This film's casting was after a quality actor to portray a role. I cannot see why a man or a woman couldn't portray this role, seeing as its a role that needs belief the character is a man who is transgendered. So started life as a male but is now transitioning. Why MUST it be a transgendered person? How do you know that transgendered people auditioned but weren't good enough. Where are these oscar performing transgendered actors/actresses hiding?

IF WIDOW TWANKEY ISNT PLAYED BY A FEMALE AT NEXT YEARS PANTOMIME IM GOING TO FUCKING KICK OFF

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Also why should there be ANY transgendered actors/actresses? Why does anybody WANT to be 'trans'. Surely there are only Men and Women? No? The trans label is surely just more bullshit. Its a temporary state.. no? Candis Cayne is a beautiful woman. Carmen Carrera is a beautiful woman. Not beautiful transgendered. Fucking bunch of cunts the lot of ye...

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

momentary diversion: coolest TS played by a GG...the character Mia from the limited series "Hit & Miss"...played by Chloe Sevigny.

wish a network would pick that up and continue it.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoogeMonkey View Post
    this is bullshit.

why are people bringing up Jared Leto's sexual orientation? What the fuck has his personal life got to do with a role. Imagine the outrage if the straight community were questioning a gay male playing a straight role? What a preposterous hypocritical slur.

As for playing a transgendered role, a transgendered person is somebody transitioning from male to female or female to male. This film's casting was after a quality actor to portray a role. I cannot see why a man or a woman couldn't portray this role, seeing as its a role that needs belief the character is a man who is transgendered. So started life as a male but is now transitioning. Why MUST it be a transgendered person? How do you know that transgendered people auditioned but weren't good enough. Where are these oscar performing transgendered actors/actresses hiding?

IF WIDOW TWANKEY ISNT PLAYED BY A FEMALE AT NEXT YEARS PANTOMIME IM GOING TO FUCKING KICK OFF
    According to you, if a natal man/woman or TS are all equally qualified to play trans roles on stage and film, why is there so much outrage about an actual TS playing.....herself???

I feel there's this unspoken bigotry against TS whenever they seek to carve out their own public space and force society at large to acknowledge they EXIST.

The director himself admitted he DID NOT SEEK OUT a TS to act in this movie.

Let's stop pretending only established actors are capable of playing convincingly niche character driven roles.

Unknowns are cast all the time in movies with very little to no acting experience who then go on to give outstanding performances.

Senior Member Junior Poster Rabbiteyes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpoogeMonkey View Post
    The trans label is surely just more bullshit. Its a temporary state.. no? Candis Cayne is a beautiful woman. Carmen Carrera is a beautiful woman. Not beautiful transgendered. Fucking bunch of cunts the lot of ye...
    Actually....no.

Not all trans people (like me) feel the need to run from being transgender. While seeking asylum under the "woman" banner can bring immediate protection from bigots and the like....it really doesn't solve the underlying issue of judgement towards trans people (it simply masks you so they don't realize what you are).

Of course, this is really only a debate for those who pass....those who don't pass need to deal with the full brunt of being trans...because they can't hide under either "male" or "female" as easily.

The options available aren't simply limited to "female" or "male".

That is why I find it silly that trans people fight so hard to be accepted as female. They are fighting for the right to cower under that banner....and be granted all the rights and protections that women have (which, actually aren't even that great).

Why not fight for trans acceptance and trans rights? For us all? The right to dress how we wish and do what we wish with our bodies....instead of being given those rights, only as long as they fit within the stereotypical context of "a woman" or "a man" ((which, honestly leaves out a lot of people from crucial protections....and even health care)).

1 out of 2 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbiteyes View Post
    Actually....no.

Not all trans people (like me) feel the need to run from being transgender. While seeking asylum under the "woman" banner can bring immediate protection from bigots and the like....it really doesn't solve the underlying issue of judgement towards trans people (it simply masks you so they don't realize what you are).

Of course, this is really only a debate for those who pass....those who don't pass need to deal with the full brunt of being trans...because they can't hide under either "male" or "female" as easily.

The options available aren't simply limited to "female" or "male".

That is why I find it silly that trans people fight so hard to be accepted as female. They are fighting for the right to cower under that banner....and be granted all the rights and protections that women have (which, actually aren't even that great).

Why not fight for trans acceptance and trans rights? For us all? The right to dress how we wish and do what we wish with our bodies....instead of being given those rights, only as long as they fit within the stereotypical context of "a woman" or "a man" ((which, honestly leaves out a lot of people from crucial protections....and even health care)).
    I feel this is a healthy (or healthier) way of looking at trans life. There are some t people bent on maintaining the status on the gender divide. They attack gays, and even some bi people, even though they may have at one time identified as gay. I think society is getting healthier as a whole, even though there will be pockets of backlash. One of the best things is for people to get to know, someone from the oppressed group. Entertainment is one of the best ways to reach a larger group of people. Seems as though there are more trans people being portrayed these days. I still believe that Jared Leto helped to open more eyes about gender non-conformity. What has not been mentioned here is that a name actor will attract a wider audience, which means more money at the box office. I did not know Jared Leto by name, but I remember his face from other roles. I bet there are a few who checked out the movie, simply because he was in it.

Matthew Mcconaughey was the outright star of DBC. If you saw the movie it was most likely because of him, not Leto.

Mcconaughey had enough star power to drive the film with an actual TS in one of the supporting roles.

All Leto did is reinforce the message that all TS/TV/CD/DQ are one in the same, men part-timing as women.

Who remembers Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil??
    South Carolinian Lady Chablis was a preop transwoman who appeared in both the book AND the movie, and portrayed HERSELF in the film...and did perfectly fine.

It's all about the inclination and perspective of the producer and director. Some get it. Some don't.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.