Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Off Topic: is WinXP the new Y2K?

Posted this over in the other section and got a coupla replies (for which thanx again Ben et al) but didn't really get an answer, so I'm trying here. My question: is this virus/hacker threat re the Win XP support ending really as dire as they're making it sound? Do I need to stay off the Internet starting at 12:01 9 April? I seem to recall a similar prophecy of doom about 14 years ago which turned out to be nothing. I've got the Norton360 hooked up here and it does a good job thwarting the various malware and spyware threats...but will that be good enough?
    I realize it's way past time to upgrade, but my WinXP has been working just fine so I'm not switching to Linux or Ubuntu, and will most likely bite the bullet w/ the Win8, but I'd just as soon not if I don't really have to. Anyone else in this same boat?....I can't be the only one in the world still using XP, can I?

the Meek shall inherit the Earth....the Rest of Us will go to the Stars

I <3 Boobs + Blowjobs Platinum Poster RallyCola's Avatar

Default Re: Off Topic: is WinXP the new Y2K?

if you are still working under winxp because you WANT to, you are an idiot. if you need XP because of some piece of legacy software or hardware, that's entirely different. i still have one computer in my lab that runs win98 because of lack of driver support for the plate reader in newer versions of windows.

that security loopholes still persist in XP is an issue however not something that 3rd party software cannot address. the end of MS support for XP is really not that meaningful because while it has had support, it still had loopholes that nefarious people exploited so its nothing new really.

finally, there is nothing wrong with win7 (as an upgrade from XP) so consider that. I am not a fan of win8 and i actually can't use it in either office so i still run win7 at home as well. it is stable, largely backwards compatible and i hate the look and feel of the metro ui so i'll stick with win7 until 8.1 is released and i am sure i can use the "legacy aero" ui with a fully functional desktop and start menu AND enjoy support for my win7 applications that presently don't work in 8.

0 out of 1 members liked this post.

Let's face it...some women just look better with their clothes ON

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

I would upgrade to Windows 9 since that will be the true descendant of Windows 7 as, Windows 7 was to Windows XP. It will be released this year.

I <3 Boobs + Blowjobs Platinum Poster RallyCola's Avatar

win9 is not coming out there year. it likely won't be until 2015 from what i have read.

Let's face it...some women just look better with their clothes ON

Senior Member Silver Poster

My old PHOTOSHOP is worthless, because the new computers won't support it, but I just bought a $40 PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS which is actually better than my old program.

IS your computer 12 years old, or what?

My GUESS is that technology hit a fork in the road, and the big boys had to decide if they would keep you happy, or keep the cutting edge people happy. Like scrapping all the old analog TV sets.

What's the worst thing that would happen?
    (I heard the Russians are going back to typewriters to thwart hacking)

I would say keep your files backed up and make sure you have recovery discs, and see what happens. Most likely these are COVER YOUR ASS warnings so somebody won't get in trouble or somebody wants to make you buy something new.

If somebody here can't help you, start googling.

World Class Asshole

If you are used to XP, I suggest up grading to Windows 7. Windows 8 is a pain in the ass. Even the Microsoft help line techs hate it.
    I am win 7 on all devices and will be until they kill win 8, the transition from XP to Win 7 will not prove too difficult for you. XP to Win 8 is like learning a new language.

Quote Originally Posted by RallyCola View Post
    if you are still working under winxp because you WANT to, you are an idiot.
    ...thanx....it's not so much a case of WANT to but rather more of NOT wanting the expense and hassle of researching/shopping for a whole new rig if I don't really NEED to

finally, there is nothing wrong with win7 (as an upgrade from XP) so consider that. I am not a fan of win8
    ...I may go that route...I'm hearing similar assessment of 8 from others as well

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    IS your computer 12 years old, or what?
    What's the worst thing that would happen?
    ...this is what I'm asking, and yes it is 12 and unable to meet the minimum specs for Win8

Quote Originally Posted by buttslinger View Post
    .....make sure you have recovery discs, and see what happens. Most likely these are COVER YOUR ASS warnings so somebody won't get in trouble or somebody wants to make you buy something new.
    ...that's pretty much the way I figured it. From what I'm hearing, the sky won't fall and the walls come tumblin down on April the 9th

....and thanx to all for the feedback

Professional Poster lifeisfiction's Avatar

win9 is not coming out there year. it likely won't be until 2015 from what i have read.
    I didn't see the projected update. They change the date from 2014 to April 2015 in the most recent rumor release date. I still think they would rather have it before Christmas unless its so bug ridden it wouldn't make it in time, lol.

Member Rookie Poster

Quote Originally Posted by EZWind View Post
    Posted this over in the other section and got a coupla replies (for which thanx again Ben et al) but didn't really get an answer, so I'm trying here. My question: is this virus/hacker threat re the Win XP support ending really as dire as they're making it sound? Do I need to stay off the Internet starting at 12:01 9 April? I seem to recall a similar prophecy of doom about 14 years ago which turned out to be nothing. I've got the Norton360 hooked up here and it does a good job thwarting the various malware and spyware threats...but will that be good enough?
    I realize it's way past time to upgrade, but my WinXP has been working just fine so I'm not switching to Linux or Ubuntu, and will most likely bite the bullet w/ the Win8, but I'd just as soon not if I don't really have to. Anyone else in this same boat?....I can't be the only one in the world still using XP, can I?
    Short answer is yes! Since MS will no longer support or upgrade XP, virus creators and hackers will be able to exploit XP easier. If they do exploit it, MS will not patch it, thus leaving XP with multiple 'holes' that will never be filled.