Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

Default Governor: Colorado pot market exceeds tax hopes

http://news.yahoo.com/governor-color...194759888.html

Governor: Colorado pot market exceeds tax hopes

Governor: Colorado's legal marijuana market far exceeding tax expectations

By Kristen Wyatt, Associated Press 5 hours ago

DENVER (AP) -- Colorado's legal marijuana market is far exceeding tax expectations, according to a budget proposal released Wednesday by Gov. John Hickenlooper that gives the first official estimate of how much the state expects to make from pot taxes.
    The proposal outlines plans to spend some $99 million next fiscal year on substance abuse prevention, youth marijuana use prevention and other priorities. The money would come from a statewide 12.9 percent sales tax on recreational pot. Colorado's total pot sales next fiscal year were estimated to be about $610 million.
    Retail sales began Jan. 1 in Colorado. Sales have been strong, though exact figures for January sales won't be made public until early next month.
    The governor predicted sales and excise taxes next fiscal year would produce some $98 million, well above a $70 million annual estimate given to voters when they approved the pot taxes last year. The governor also includes taxes from medical pot, which are subject only to the statewide 2.9 percent sales tax.
    Washington state budget forecasters released a projection Wednesday for that state, where retail sales don't begin for a few months.
    Economic forecasters in Olympia predicted that the state's new legal recreational marijuana market will bring nearly $190 million to state coffers over four years starting in mid-2015. Washington state sets budgets biennially.
    In Colorado, Hickenlooper's proposal listed six priorities for spending the pot sales taxes.
    The spending plan included $45.5 million for youth use prevention, $40.4 million for substance abuse treatment and $12.4 million for public health.
    "We view our top priority as creating an environment where negative impacts on children from marijuana legalization are avoided completely," Hickenlooper wrote in a letter to legislative budget writers, which must approve the plan.
    The governor also proposed a $5.8 million, three-year "statewide media campaign on marijuana use," presumably highlighting the drug's health risks. The state Department of Transportation would get $1.9 million for a new "Drive High, Get a DUI" campaign to tout the state's new marijuana blood-limit standard for drivers.
    Also, Hickenlooper has proposed spending $7 million for an additional 105 beds in residential treatment centers for substance abuse disorders.
    "This package represents a strong yet cautious first step" for regulating pot, the governor wrote. He told lawmakers he'd be back with a more complete spending prediction later this year.
    The Colorado pot tax plan doesn't include an additional 15 percent pot excise tax, of which $40 million a year already is designated for school construction. The governor projected the full $40 million to be reached next year.
    The initial tax projections are rosier than those given to voters in 2012, when state fiscal projections on the marijuana-legalization amendment would produce $39.5 million in sales taxes next fiscal year, which begins in July.
    The rosier projections come from updated data about how many retail stores Colorado has (163 as of Feb. 1 and how much customers are paying for pot. There's no standardized sales price, but recreational pot generally is going for much more than the $202 an ounce forecasters guessed last year.
    Mason Tvert, a legalization activist who ran Colorado's 2012 campaign, said other states are watching closely to see what legal weed can produce in tax revenue.
    "Voters and state lawmakers around the country are watching how this system unfolds in Colorado, and the prospect of generating significant revenue while eliminating the underground marijuana market is increasingly appealing," said Tvert, who now works for the Marijuana Policy Project.
    Meanwhile, The Denver Post reported Wednesday that banks holding commercial loans on properties that lease to Colorado marijuana businesses say they don't plan to refinance those loans when they come due. Bankers say property used as collateral for those loans theoretically is subject to federal drug-seizure laws, which makes the loans a risk.
    Colorado's two largest banks, Wells Fargo Bank and FirstBank, say they won't offer new loans to landowners with preexisting leases with pot businesses. And Wells Fargo and Vectra Bank have told commercial loan clients they either have to evict marijuana businesses or seek refinancing elsewhere.
    "Our policy of not banking marijuana-related businesses and not lending on commercial properties leased by marijuana-related businesses is based on applicable federal laws," Wells Fargo spokeswoman Cristie Drumm told the Post.
    ___
    Associated Press writer Rachel La Corte in Olympia, Wash., contributed to this report.

2 out of 2 members liked this post.

Default Re: Governor: Colorado pot market exceeds tax hopes

Anybody interested in getting into the weed business when everything is legal above board and just like owning a liquor store? As a Californian, I'm definitely looking forward into exploring the possibilities.

The revenue from legalization could back the government off the wealthy and still be able to provide more programs for the needy. Less bickering over the pennies because we have so many dollars.

3 out of 3 members liked this post.

Senior Member Silver Poster

With the price of an ounce of pot going for four hundred bucks in Colorado, I have no idea why I haven't constructed a grow room up in my attic with the reflecto-walls, plumbing, lights, fans thermostats drying bin, ...what a hobby! I could practically double my take home pay and make TV interesting again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100965364-Az-XVIeoVY90P1bVS6fe11k7ppT2N6G839yJl7A7flA_530x298.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	693097  

World Class Asshole

Asswhipper Veteran Poster VictoriaVeil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Velvet View Post
    Anybody interested in getting into the weed business when everything is legal above board and just like owning a liquor store? As a Californian, I'm definitely looking forward into exploring the possibilities.

The revenue from legalization could back the government off the wealthy and still be able to provide more programs for the needy. Less bickering over the pennies because we have so many dollars.
    I'm down.. always looking to expand if your serious, DM me..

It'll be a bit before it turns legal but not too long either. I'm keeping my eye on Colorado and see how things go. The Governor seems happy with the extra revenue.

If all drugs were legal I would be willing to get into the pot business with a clean conscience. I would not be willing to sell hard drugs like meth, coke, heroin, etc regardless of market opportunity. Really bad for you. Pot is no worse than liquor no matter what Bill O'Reilly tries to convince you of. Stoners don't wrap their cars around trees at 2:30 in the morning.

As I mentioned before, Conservatives and Liberals are at each others throats on a daily basis. The extra money for the libs and the peace of mind for the cons would be a welcome situation. We're all trying to save the state and country. We just have different ideas.

Junior Poster

Coke isn't a hard drug when used responsibly by drunk rich assholes

Well the streets of Seattle have developed a skunky smell recently too. Although it's illegal to smoke in public it really hasn't stopped anyone and over the counter sales haven't even started yet here.

Sounds like they are scaling back on growing licenses already though. Which is good for the smaller "mom & pop" operations.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/marijuana/...1=0&14194103=0