Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super Blowout

We all love a little Miss Meadows. Veteran Poster

Default Re: Super Blowout

Quote Originally Posted by robertlouis View Post
    Hmm. Since the only comments on fB were either about the national anthem, the half-time show or the ads in between, I guess the game itself couldn't have been up to much.
    It was very bad. To a certain extent it soured me on football in general. The common complaint leveled against Football is that it is too slow and too much of stop and go. My argument has always been that the discrete nature of a football play is actually one of the sport's greatest strength. Because play is not continuous, you have moments to reflect on what you just saw, and what you are about to see. That reflection gives plays more meaning and more tension than otherwise would occur. You can consider what just happened, how that has affected the development of the course of the game, and likewise you can consider what your team now needs to accomplish in the next play to stay competitive and win. When a team pulls off what they needed too, it feels all the more exciting, and conversely when they fail to perform, it feels all the more crushing because you know EXACTLY what it means.

This strength only works, however, if play between the teams is competitive. If one team's victory is a forgone conclusion, which it was by mid second-quarter of this particular game, then individual plays cease to have meaning, and the stop and go nature of the game, rather than enhancing that meaning, just drags out the inevitable. The whole thing becomes an exercise in boredom and "come on, just get this over with." That's hardly entertainment.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Quote Originally Posted by tsmirandameadows View Post
    It was very bad. To a certain extent it soured me on football in general. The common complaint leveled against Football is that it is too slow and too much of stop and go. My argument has always been that the discrete nature of a football play is actually one of the sport's greatest strength. Because play is not continuous, you have moments to reflect on what you just saw, and what you are about to see. That reflection gives plays more meaning and more tension than otherwise would occur. You can consider what just happened, how that has affected the development of the course of the game, and likewise you can consider what your team now needs to accomplish in the next play to stay competitive and win. When a team pulls off what they needed too, it feels all the more exciting, and conversely when they fail to perform, it feels all the more crushing because you know EXACTLY what it means.

This strength only works, however, if play between the teams is competitive. If one team's victory is a forgone conclusion, which it was by mid second-quarter of this particular game, then individual plays cease to have meaning, and the stop and go nature of the game, rather than enhancing that meaning, just drags out the inevitable. The whole thing becomes an exercise in boredom and "come on, just get this over with." That's hardly entertainment.
    Get over here and I'll take you to a rugby match instead. The official playing time is 80 minutes, that's two halves of 40 mins each. They add time on for injuries and it rarely exceeds 85 minutes. The beer's a lot better too.

I've tried to like American Football, I really have, been to games - OK, it was always the Patriots lol - but it drags on so bloody long that I've usually lost the will to live long before it's over. I suspect that ritual stuff like the anthem, the ads and the half-time show are there simply to disguise the tedium.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

Verified account Silver Poster Ben in LA's Avatar

I've tried to like American Football, I really have, been to games - OK, it was always the Patriots lol - but it drags on so bloody long that I've usually lost the will to live long before it's over. I suspect that ritual stuff like the anthem, the ads and the half-time show are there simply to disguise the tedium.
    That's how I feel about soccer. Rugby is cool with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben in LA View Post
    That's how I feel about soccer. Rugby is cool with me.
    I played both rugby and soccer when I was younger and was pretty good at both, but eventually I had to choose and went with rugby. Never regretted it, even achieved some representative honours at junior and national university level. Still love it, and unlike soccer, although it's improved hugely in the last twenty years, there's never any trouble at a rugby match.

Except on the field lol.

But pleasures are like poppies spread
    You seize the flow'r, the bloom is shed

LOVER OF BIG ASS Platinum Poster youngblood61's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LI SEAN08 View Post
    I left a bar with my GF with 2 min still left b4 the half. Went back to her place and put showtime movie on. What a huge letdown. This will affect how people look back at Peyton!!
    It shouldn't be that way but it is. Super Bowls matter when it comes to talking greatness. Peyton has one maybe it's all he get. These kind of whippings were common place back in the 80's and 90's. Seattle is a great team that played their best game when it mattered most. Peyton is still a great QB. Nobody was beating Seattle Sunday.

I actually feel good about the game. My Carolina Panthers played the Seahawks earlier in the season and got beat but not as badly. So we got that going for us which is nice.

Last edited by dderek123; 02-03-2014 at 05:07 PM.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

I played both rugby and soccer when I was younger and was pretty good at both, but eventually I had to choose and went with rugby. Never regretted it, even achieved some representative honours at junior and national university level. Still love it, and unlike soccer, although it's improved hugely in the last twenty years, there's never any trouble at a rugby match.

Except on the field lol.
    Raiders fans aren't exactly known for their delicate manners. I was about 12 or 13 and went to go see a playoff game between my Raiders and the New York Jets. This was when the Jets had Gastineau and Klecko. Anyway, the Jets won on the field but LA went over NYC big time in the stands. I was just trying to stay out of the way.

Senior Member Platinum Poster

I don't know much about American Fooball, but from what I have read the Superbowl was a master class in defensive strategy. The problem I think is that in many team games a defensive strategy can appear to stangle a game and make it boring. The most mind-numbing example I can think of took place in an international cricket match where England for some reason needed to preserve their men in play, so played defensive strokes which meant that for every six balls they scored 0 and this went on for hours. In a recent football/soccer game West Ham so loaded their defence Chelsea were unable to break through, the manager Jose Mourinho accused them of playing '19th century football'.
    It also seems to me that American Football is so precisely arranged around strategic plans, that the only way for two roughly equally matched sides to win, is for one side to force an error in the other and exploit it to their advantage; and after all, American Football is not known as 'the beautiful game', the winning is all, however 'tis done.
    -But Bruno Mars--? I thought that was a character from Star Trek. Entertainment?

LOVER OF BIG ASS Platinum Poster youngblood61's Avatar

Defense was the major story of this game. When you shut down an offense like Denver that's doing something. I will say this,Denver was not ready to play Football. When you play Seattle you have to play with the same intensity they do. Denver didn't and they paid for it.