Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gold Poster

Default Re: Testosterone and Testosterone Supplements

I had normal free testosterone and total testosterone levels and took androgel 5 mg for a couple of months for depression. I'm in my early 30s. I noticed an initial boost in libido and energy, but this went away after a little more than a week. I also had minor decrease in the size of my testicles that reverted back to normal after I stopped taking it.

Overall, I didn't get much benefit from the supplement in terms of depression. I would have minor anger problems, which I hear is rare on the small doses I was taking. But I'm pretty sure it was related to the androgel. The increase in energy was not that significant after a month or two of being on it so I stopped taking it.

For what it's worth...I can't vouch for testosterone, but I do take Korean Ginseng, and I at least think it works...whether that belief is in my mind or real though...I wouldn't know. One thing to keep in mind though is that it's a natural blood thinner (like many of the "G" vitamins...such as Ginger Root which I also take)...so it probably wouldn't be wise for anyone to take if they are already on prescription blood thinners.

Senior Member Platinum Poster giovanni_hotel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel LaRusso View Post
    You should make an appointment and get the proper stuff from your doctor. If you are 50+ you will probably get it.

Test boosters work best for guys in their 30s and 40s, but if they have low test levels, they should see a doctor as well.

Not only does it help your libido, but your general quality of life; feeling less fatigued, warding off illness, etc.
    No physically active guy in his 30s or even early 40s should need a T booster, unless he's trying to find a supplement for BBing.
    20something year olds absolutely will get no benefit from T boosters because their own natural production is peaking.

Marjorie Taylor Greene Is A Nice Lady Platinum Poster Dino Velvet's Avatar

I'll be reading this thread. I'm 46 and in an in-between stage getting ready to tuck my tail between my legs and ask the nice people at Walgreen's for some glasses so I can read the back of the TV Dinners with. God damn the people who put black ink on red background. Damn you to Hell, Stouffer's!

I always thought for me at about 60 my body will need to be overhauled surgically and chemically. Sign me up, sew me up.

Gold Poster

Quote Originally Posted by giovanni_hotel View Post
    No physically active guy in his 30s or even early 40s should need a T booster, unless he's trying to find a supplement for BBing.
    20something year olds absolutely will get no benefit from T boosters because their own natural production is peaking.
    I don't know that much about the subject, but I thought the effect of the T had worn off because my HPT axis had kicked in with negative feedback. If you take T, your pituitary will often make less luteinizing hormone and your natural testosterone production will slow down as a result.

But when I got my bloodwork done after a month and a half, both my free and total testosterone were up, as well as my dht. I did not have increased estrogen, which was also fortunate. So my concern about the negative feedback was not demonstrated by the bloodwork. But for some reason I did not have the same boost from it that I had initially. It seems that there are just so many factors at work...I agree it probably isn't that helpful for most/all younger guys.

If you do not actually have somewhat reduced testosterone (at least from your prime), you are experimenting with a very delicate and complicated system.

1 out of 1 members liked this post.

Hey ,nysprod , good topic.
    I started taking DHEA about one year ago and I soon began to see a noticeable difference. More energetic , feel like the 'bounce' has returned to my step! Have not had any adverse side effects.
    Like you , I have been mildly athletic all my life and tend toward overweight , not obese and no chronic health problems.
    DHEA is a dietary supplement and a metabolic precursor of testosterone.
    Check out Swanson's Vitamins for more information , I have used them for years ,best selection and price and cheap shipping.
    Regards , thanks for all your great posts.
    http://www.swansonvitamins.com/

Junior Member Rookie Poster JeyneRiley's Avatar

My ex takes this stuff and I always bug him about how I don't like the way it changes his attitude. It makes him moody and agitated, and more aggressive. He's in his early-30's tho and definitely does not have "Low-T." If he had low-t the drugs might have more of a leveling effect like many of you describe, but adding it on top of already regular/high testosterone levels isn't a good idea, at least in my experience with my guy.

Senior Member Platinum Poster nysprod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sukumvit boy View Post
    Hey ,nysprod , good topic.
    I started taking DHEA about one year ago and I soon began to see a noticeable difference. More energetic , feel like the 'bounce' has returned to my step! Have not had any adverse side effects.
    Like you , I have been mildly athletic all my life and tend toward overweight , not obese and no chronic health problems.
    DHEA is a dietary supplement and a metabolic precursor of testosterone.
    Check out Swanson's Vitamins for more information , I have used them for years ,best selection and price and cheap shipping.
    Regards , thanks for all your great posts.
    http://www.swansonvitamins.com/
    Thanks for the info...btw, I'm not overweight at all 6'2" currently 183 34" waist.

Quote Originally Posted by JeyneRiley View Post
    My ex takes this stuff and I always bug him about how I don't like the way it changes his attitude. It makes him moody and agitated, and more aggressive. He's in his early-30's tho and definitely does not have "Low-T." If he had low-t the drugs might have more of a leveling effect like many of you describe, but adding it on top of already regular/high testosterone levels isn't a good idea, at least in my experience with my guy.
    Right, young guys who are using it for body building (assuming here) are prone to mood swings...overall it's not a good idea.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6rVyV1rhlpido1_1280.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	684004   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39fK1ralnabo1_1280.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	684005   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29yGtQMW_600x450.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	684006   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2133798504.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	684007  

1 out of 1 members liked this post.
    Last edited by nysprod; 01-30-2014 at 03:36 AM.
    Phone keys gum condoms lube...I don’t want to be normal.

Oops ! Sorry nysprod ,you're certainly not overweight.

Curiously curious! Rookie Poster Curiousguy04's Avatar

The older i get the more washed out i feel. High sex drive but no energy. I was told it could be low testosterone. So i went to the Dr. and he confirmed it. So they started me on Axiron. I used as prescribed every day. It burned my armpits and after a week a rash began to form under my arm pits. I still continued to use it and the rash moved down my sides almost to my hips. It was unbearable. The dr. suggested i try applying it to my leg. It helped but it still burned where i applied it. But the rash did not spread. But still hurt. So the dr. suggested i try Androgel. Needless to say the had the same results. So i stopped it all together. My Testosterone increased greatly but the severe rash was not worth it. Hurt too much. I felt better and worse at the same time. I guess it depends on which side effects you are willing to deal with.